Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Simple Networking with Windows 7

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 alorac

alorac

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 PM

Posted 04 July 2014 - 03:33 PM

I have two computers in my house, both of which are connected wirelessly to the same router, so that both can access the internet. But they are connected through different networks, so that the two computers cannot communicate. How do I fix this and make both computers connect through the same network?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 PM

Posted 04 July 2014 - 03:44 PM

Please explain "different networks".  How many WiFi routers do you have?  If more than 1, why?  Normally you want both computers to be in the same workgroup.  I could be more specific, but you neglected to say what version of Windows you're running, and I'm afraid my dog broke my crystal ball.  :hysterical:

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#3 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,288 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 PM

Posted 04 July 2014 - 06:41 PM

wpgwpg is perhaps a little unkind since your topic title is 'Simple networking with Win 7' !

Have a look at this MS help topic it should solve your problems -

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows7/start-here-to-set-up-a-home-network-in-windows-7

Chris Cosgrove

#4 alorac

alorac
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 PM

Posted 04 July 2014 - 07:13 PM

I am the original poster. The problem persists. I have two computers, both running Windows 7. I have one router connected to the internet. If I go into Network and Sharing Center one computer shows:

Computer1  ->  Alpha  -> Internet

Alpha

Homenetwork

The other computer shows:

Computer2 -> Alpha1 -> Internet

Alpha1

Homenetwork

How can I have both computers connected to the same network?

Edited by alorac, 04 July 2014 - 08:23 PM.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,920 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 PM

Posted 04 July 2014 - 07:27 PM

If they are both on the Home Network. Create a Homegroup on the Alpha Computer. This will give you a HomeGroup password.

On the Beta computer Join the Homegroup by providing the password given by the Alpha computer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users