Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

pc doesn't recognize graphics card after upgrade to 64 bit

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 krachbummente

krachbummente

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 AM

Posted 04 July 2014 - 03:22 PM

so i recently bought some additional ram for my relatively old pc, to at least have 8gigs available. of course i upgraded from win7 32 to 64 bit in the process. i let the upgrade run but it took longer than i thought, so i left it running when i had to go to work, thinking it would automatically go on standby after some time, when it was finished. i came back 7 hous later finding my pc asking me to enter the pc name, etc. while the graphics cards fan was running on full speed. after i got the system started up it turned out my pc could not recognize my graphics card anymore, only detecting vga graphics. also graphics detection programms cant seem to identify my radeon hd 5670 anymore, but it says, that when i have only browser running, fan is at 100% and the graphics card is at 106°. I immediately turned the pc off, and did not use it again since.

did i kill my graphics card by overheating it (and can it still be saved) or is it a software problem?

thanks in advance

Edited by krachbummente, 04 July 2014 - 05:36 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:47 AM

Posted 04 July 2014 - 07:49 PM

Welcome,

Windows installs are interactive for us home users.

It sounds like you need to download the correct drivers for your graphics card. The OS change will do that to you.

The temp was a bit high but it may not have fried the GPU. With the new drivers installed check it out and see what you can see.

Keep us posted

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 krachbummente

krachbummente
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 AM

Posted 09 July 2014 - 03:33 AM

I feel kinda stupid now...

didn't even think about installing the drivers manually. everything works fine now, thanks for the quick response

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users