Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HELP All of Windows 8 is in SegoeUI

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Aritmos

Aritmos

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:54 PM

Posted 04 July 2014 - 02:43 PM

So i started my PC and noticed that when i was typing my pass, my photo thing wasnt showing.
the next day i do the same thing. this time the starting wallpaper doesnt show up. ( the one with the time that you flick up at the start) Everything else was normal. I thought the wallpaper thing was because the pc didnt load correctly so i rebooted. then all of windows was in symbols (segoeUI) even though its in that font i out my pass in the starting screen but a message pops up ( in segoeUI) and theres two buttons. the first is the cross (top right) and the other looks to be and accept button in the bottom. if i press the cross i see my desktop all black and nothing loaded, only the small bar. if i press the "accept" button it takes me back to the initial wallpaper. the one i was talking about.
THE PROBLEM IS THAT I CANT ACCESS THE SYSTEM TO DO A CLEAR THING WHERE IT RESETS EVERYTHING AND YOU LOSE YOUR HDD!!! how do i fix this????
please help,

Attached Files

Edited by Aritmos, 04 July 2014 - 02:48 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 AM

Posted 04 July 2014 - 03:35 PM

See if this thread helps... http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/28197-need-help-w-windows-8-text-replaced-symbols.html .

#3 Aritmos

Aritmos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2014 - 03:58 PM

thanks for the link but the problem is that i cant access the pc. i doesnt load so im stuck in the login and i cant download or reboot or anything D:

Edited by Aritmos, 04 July 2014 - 03:58 PM.

#4 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2014 - 04:23 PM

You need to get a live disc or flash drive, boot from it, and fix those broken fonts you have.  I use Ubuntu or Mint Linux, but there're plenty of others around.  You can download Ubuntu from here: http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop .  If you download the ISO, you can burn it to a DVD, or you can put it on a flash drive by following the instructions here:

http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop/create-a-usb-stick-on-windows .  When you boot from it, you'll have a user interface similar to the Windows one.  From there you can copy the correct fonts into your C:\Windows\Fonts library.  The Ubuntu user interface looks a little different, but works very similarly to Windows.  The biggest difference is the 3 buttons to minimize, maximize and cancel (X out) are on the left side of windows instead of the right, but you get used to that pretty quickly.

When you've gotten your system back like you want it, I urge you to get yourself an external hard drive and a good 3rd party backup program. You can set it up to do everything automagically at the time and frequency of your choice. 1 TB external hard drives are about $60 these days and a really good FREE backup program is the Easeus Todo Backup Free.  That can save you a lot of time and frustration the next time something like this happens. Sooner or later it happens to all computers for one reason or another.

Good luck.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#5 Aritmos

Aritmos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2014 - 05:19 PM

the problem is that i dont think its the fonts. it just doesnt load when i sign in. is there a way to reset everything to factory settings without logging in?

#6 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2014 - 05:23 PM

The procedure for resetting to factory settings would be documented in your user guide.  If you can't get it on your computer, you can likely download it from your manufacturer's web site.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users