Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DVDs

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Hbomb1921

Hbomb1921

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 PM

Posted 04 July 2014 - 12:12 PM

Hi folks, I'm trying to kill off my DVD collection and go purely digital.  My intention is to throw out all the cases, etc, after this is done, as I'm a downsizing maniac right now.

Are there any (1) software, and (2) formats, that you'd recommend to convert to?  I would like the video copies to be reasonable replications of what the DVD was, but no too large as to be exact copies.

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 PM

Posted 04 July 2014 - 01:15 PM

This is a personal opinion, However I would keep the DVDs and the Labels from the cases, Just in case for these reasons.

1. You may decide later on that You can do a better job of converting to digital format

2. Proof of ownership

Cheers

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 Hbomb1921

Hbomb1921
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2014 - 01:38 PM

I might keep the DVDs in sleeve somewhere, but I have no room for all the cases as is :)

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2014 - 02:28 PM

No room for the cases is why I suggested Pulling the paper out of them and keeping it along withe DVDs. You might also keep a few cases. If You were to go to sell a DVD I'm sure the buyer would want the case and sleeve from it.

Good Luck

Roger

Also I suggest keeping them backed up on at least two drives. I do that despite using a NAS with mirrored drives as the Media Server.

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#5 Hbomb1921

Hbomb1921
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2014 - 08:21 PM

Thanks Roger, what about formats and a NAS.  

I'm new to this, I imagine I'd use Xvid/Divx, but I'm not sure what an optimal tool or image dimensions would be ideal.  As for a NAS, I once ran a windows server 2011, not very well, should I stick with something like that, or venture into something else.

I had posted in another section of the forum that I'm looking to consolidate a large photography and file collection (docs, etc) onto a NAS, or something similar.

Cheers,

#6 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2014 - 01:40 PM

I would get a true NAS. It will use less electric. brands would be QNap, Synology, Netgear, etc.

I would also get at least a 2 drive model to allow for Mirroring. With Mirroring if one drive goes bad Everything is not lost. You replace the bad drive and it will rebuild the array. That is not protection against a virus for example or Oops I did not mean to delete that events.

I am using 4Tb and 2 Tb drives in mine. What that means is that I put in two 4Tb drives to get a total storage space of 4Tb. I also use NAS drives rather than desktop drives. One example of that would be the Western Digital Red 4Tb drives or Seagate NAS HDD ST4000VN000 4TB 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s Internal Hard Drive.

These are lower level drives, the Enterprise drives are more money.

I just expanded one of my NAS's from 2Tb to 4Tb using two 4Tb drives. I followed the process to replace the drives and expand the space and not lose any data.

Format for the Videos, Interesting question. I have been using MP4 or WMV format for the files.

So If I were adding another one to the network I would be using 2 WD Red 4Tb @ $180 each + $340 for the driveless NAS, $700 + Tax. Not cheap.

Good Luck

Roger

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users