Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Conduit/Trovi/Safe Search Inc issues and maybe more - help?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

#1 sindyr

sindyr

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 PM

Posted 04 July 2014 - 12:03 PM

Hi all, I have a laptop here that I've been struggling with to get clean. The search keeps getting reset to Trovi, I've seen conduit somewhere in it, and I had a service.exe in a pcreg folder in Program Files keep trying to startup, which identified it as coming from Safer Search Inc. (I have since deleted the pcreg folder.) For all I know there are much more deeply hidden infections as well.

Normally I would just throw the kitchen sink at it (tdsskiller, malwarebytes, adwcleaner, hitmanPro, etc) and see whether that worked, but having found this site search for solutions, I thought I would try this more focused route instead. I am hoping to have the computer cleaned and done within 24 hours.

So, I know you guys will need a log of some kind to start with, what log would be most helpful, and where should I get the program to generate it?

Thanks!

Edit: Win 8.1 laptop, chrome and IE browsers, Windows Defender antivirus/firewall.

Edited by sindyr, 04 July 2014 - 12:04 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 sindyr

sindyr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2014 - 05:44 PM

I appreciate all the assistance and well wishing I've gotten on this topic the last six hours, but I went ahead and threw the kitchen sink at it and so far so good. Please don't think I was ignoring your advice. I simply couldn't sit on my hands any longer.

#3 Clairvoyant

Clairvoyant

• Malware Response Team
  • 1,564 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 PM

Posted 06 July 2014 - 06:38 AM

Hello sindyr, and welcome on BC  :welcome: 

I will be helping with your computer problems.

Before starting please note the following:

• If you have since resolved the original problem you were having, we would appreciate you letting us know
  • Do not make any changes on your own to the computer (installing/uninstall programs, deleting files, modifying the registry, running scanners or other tools, etc.) without instructions to do it
  • Please read every post completely and perform all steps in the specified order. If you can't understand something or you encounter problems please stop and let me know
  • Do not attach logs, use code or quote boxes. Just copy and paste the text unless directed otherwise
  • Even if things appear to be better, it does not mean we have finished. Follow my instructions and reply back until I tell you that your computer is clean.

About the log, we can start with FRST, please do the following:

• Please download FRST 32bit or 64bit according your installed system and save it to your desktop
  • Double-click on the FRST icon to run the tool
  • When the tool opens, click Yes to disclaimer
  • Click on the Scan button
  • When finished, it will show a log called FRST.txt and another one called Addition.txt
  • Close FRST

In your next reply please post the contents of the FRST.txt file and attach the Addition.txt file.

Regards 

#4 sindyr

sindyr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2014 - 08:36 AM

Ah, my apologies, I've already taken care of the issue - but I'll try back here if the problem comes back. So far, all my scans now come up clean with HitManPro, AdwCleaner, MalawareBytes, and others.

Thanks for the offer, I sincerely appreciate it, I just ran out of time waiting - but I'll be back if things go south again.

Thanks again.

#5 Clairvoyant

Clairvoyant

• Malware Response Team
  • 1,564 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2014 - 12:26 PM

Hi sindyr :)

glad to hear your computer is running well now.

Since your problems appear to be solved, this topic will be closed in the next two days.

If in the meanwhile the problems you had will arise again, please follow what I wrote in my previous post.

Regards

Edited by Clairvoyant, 06 July 2014 - 12:27 PM.

#6 Clairvoyant

Clairvoyant

• Malware Response Team
  • 1,564 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2014 - 04:46 PM

Since the the problem appears solved, this topic is now closed.

In the event you still have problems, please send me or any Moderator a Private Message and ask them to reopen this topic within the next 5 days.

Please include a link to your topic in the Private Message. Thank you.

Regards

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users