Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to boot OS!!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Atombomb

Atombomb

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 PM

Posted 04 July 2014 - 11:29 AM

After uninstalling some programs with the remove programs option I restarted my computer. The BIOS loads normally, but when the OS loads I'm thrown a bunch of special characters like squares and triangles. The windows logo is seen, but when switching to where my user log on would normally be the OS acts like it is going to load but then just flashes every 5 seconds or so like it's trying to restart its self.

At least point I assume one of my system files for the OS is corrupted and I need to remove and reinstall the OS. I'm fine with this as there wasn't really anything important that I can't get back on my computer. However, I cannot get the OS removed or loaded from the OS Disk I have from the manufacturer.

Is there something that I am missing to remove and reinstall the OS? Any help would be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2014 - 11:55 AM

Make and model?  Windows version?  Can you boot to Safe Mode?  Do you have your user guide?  Do you need to save any data?  My dog broke my crystal ball.   :lmao:

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#3 Atombomb

Atombomb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2014 - 12:00 PM

Just to add a few things.

I have gone into my BIOS and have changed my boot options to boot from a CDROM. If the CD drive is empty the computer still loads from the HDD. (I completely removed this option from the BIOS as a 2nd startup option, and a 3rd startup option). It still accesses the HDD as a boot option even if it is removed from the BIOS (I assume this is by default). When the Windows 7 reinstall disc is in the CDROM and the BIOS option is to boot from the CDROM it will still boot from the HDD. Normally I would get recovery options or installation options, but I'm thrown directly to the User Logon page where windows continuously throws itself for a loop literally. It will loop back on its self every 5 seconds as the screen flashes black and tries to reload the user log on page.

I ran diagnostics on the memory with no problems found. I've ran diagnostics on my HDD and other Hardware on the computer I'm posting on and all aspects are working accordingly.

When the computer is in the process of being thrown in a loop my only option is to do a hard reset. Upon doing so I'm show system restarting however it is done through special characters like (Rectangle, o, downward facing triangle, upward facing triangle x2, and other shapes). This is starting to get a little frustrating as I can normally diagnose and fix the problems.

#4 Atombomb

Atombomb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2014 - 12:08 PM

Oh I apologize, I thought I put that information in. I'll get it right to you.

Desktop: iBuyPower

Mobo: Gigabyte GA-M68MT-S2

Processor: 3.2 Ghz AMD 3 FX 6000 series

OS: Windows 7 Home Premium (Fully Updated, I believe it was SP2 or SP3)

Question Responses:

All my files are back up regularly so no I don't need to save any files.

No, I cannot boot into safe mode.

Yes, I have the user guide which I have combed through a few times before coming here :).

My dog died on May 27th of this year, so he couldn't have broken the crystal ball. (He really did die about a month ago :(.

#5 Atombomb

Atombomb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2014 - 12:20 PM

Update: I was able to bypass the default loading to the HDD, although it took a couple of tries. I was able to get into recovery options and performed a startup recover which didn't detect any problems with the startup. My restore points have been deleted so I cannot use system restore. I have a back up ISO but I get an error when trying to restore through an ISO image. The error says a window OS must be selected. Restart your system and select a OS.

I was able to boot from the OS CDROM again and I gained access to the reinstall. So I am running a full OS reinstall as we speak. I'll let you know how it turns out.

#6 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2014 - 12:23 PM

I'm sorry about your dog.  I had a 10 year old dog die suddenly two years ago.  We miss them, but getting another dog helped me. 

Good to hear you've gotten the reinstall going.  Good luck.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users