Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

windows 8 wont boot up. please help.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Diggidy Dave

Diggidy Dave

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2014 - 09:11 AM

Hello. I'm new to this website, but I've been reading posts for the last few hours of similar situations to mine. I went to turn on my laptop and a black screen came up saying to insert installation disk. This has happened to me twice before and all I had to do was let the battery die then turn it back on and all was well. This time no luck. I put my USB in to access my recovery options and tried system restore which failed along with the refresh and renew options which also failed. Did my hard drive take a dump? It continues to go to a blue screen, stating my pc needs to be repaired with an error code below. Can someone help me please. I don't have cable in,my home so my family and I use it to watch movies with it hooked up to our television. The kids are going crazy. Thank you for your time in advance.

Edited by Diggidy Dave, 04 July 2014 - 09:18 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 PM

Posted 04 July 2014 - 10:25 AM

It could be that your hard drive is dying, but what was on this USB you mentioned?  Can you boot from a live disc or drive?  What is your make and model and what version of Windows?  What was the error code?  You said you booted from your USB and tried System Restore, so apparently you have a way to boot to something.  I'd boot to that again and back up any data you don't want to lose, then try to run diagnostics like maybe Seatools for DOS that you can download and run to see the status of that hard drive.  I'd also get hold of the user guide and get prepared to restore to factory settings in case the hard drive is dying.

Good luck.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#3 Diggidy Dave

Diggidy Dave
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2014 - 11:53 AM

Thanks for responding so quickly. I have windows 8. And that is what is on the USB also. That is what I used to upgrade my system some months back. Laptop is an acer iconia dual touch screen. Model. # pau30. It doesn't have a disc drive. Two dif error codes came up. Only remember the one, 000000f. Unfortunately don't have internet at home right now. Is there another way to check if the hard drive is okay or not? Thank you again.

#4 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2014 - 12:12 PM

I went to the Acer web site (US) and searched for "iconia pau30" and got no hits. ???

I searched the MS web site for the error code 000000f and it appears that there's a problem with the boot sector on the hard drive.  Can you boot from that USB drive and try a REPAIR?  I'd try that if you haven't already.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#5 Diggidy Dave

Diggidy Dave
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2014 - 01:28 PM

Yes I've tried the automatic repair. Also tried to restore from save point and it didn't work.

#6 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2014 - 03:27 PM

I went to the Acer web site (US) and searched for "iconia pau30" and got no hits. Why is that?

#7 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 AM

Posted 05 July 2014 - 12:56 AM

Acer Iconia Dual Touch PAU30 14 034 Laptop Core i5 2 ...
This Model Exists

Please wait for a helper that can Help you - You are being given incorrect advice.

#8 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2014 - 01:53 PM

Acer Iconia Dual Touch PAU30 14 034 Laptop Core i5 2 ...
This Model Exists

Please wait for a helper that can Help you - You are being given incorrect advice.

When someone can't boot, it's not "incorrect advice" to suggest doing a repair.  

I never said the computer didn't exist, I just said the search I listed at the Acer web site produced no results; that is unexpected and true.  

Do you have anything helpful to offer?  

Edited by wpgwpg, 05 July 2014 - 02:00 PM.

#9 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2014 - 02:04 PM

Yes I've tried the automatic repair. Also tried to restore from save point and it didn't work.

OK, let's try this.  Since you were able to boot from the flash drive, see if you can boot to the command prompt and do a chkdsk on the C: drive.  If you can get to the command prompt, type chkdsk /f /r.  This will check for and attempt repair of bad sectors.  Be aware that this can run for an hour or longer depending on the size of your hard drive.  

Another program that might help if chkdsk doesn't is EasyBcd which you can download from here:

https://neosmart.net/wiki/easybcd/

A third thing you could try is to download the DOS based version of Seatools from the Seagate web site and run disk diagnostics.  

When you run into problems like this, all you can do is try these things one at a time.  None are by any means guaranteed unfortunately.  

Good luck.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users