Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP activation problem (and another installation problem).

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Fugazi95

Fugazi95

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 PM

Posted 04 July 2014 - 07:39 AM

Hey everyone, this is my first post on this forum.
Anyway, I have a pc with win XP professional SP2 installed on it. Two days ago when I logged in to windows there was a message that said that I must activate windows. When I clicked ok it said that windows is already activated, so I clicked ok but then windows logged off!
I googled this problem and found numerous solution like logging into safe mode and editing the registry or writing commands in cmd but nothing seems to work!
This led to the discovery of another problem. I tried to repair windows by reinstalling it from the cd, but during the process I get the good old blue screen of death (stop error 0x08e).
Is there anything else I can try to solve the activation problem? If no, then what about the installation problem?.
Thanks in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Low Country

Low Country

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 AM

Posted 04 July 2014 - 09:14 AM

Welcome to this forum!

A quick search for your stop error brought up this page:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315335

Given both problems have occurred recently, I suggest running Memtest 86+ .(ISO downloadable from http://www.memtest.org/) or the original version updated now available from Passmark Software.

http://www.memtest86.com/

Edited by Low Country, 04 July 2014 - 09:14 AM.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,398 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 AM

Posted 04 July 2014 - 10:54 AM

Contact Microsoft re activation issues, you can do so by phone.

What steps did you take to reinstall Windows?  You have a Genuine XP Pro CD?

Louis

#4 Fugazi95

Fugazi95
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 PM

Posted 05 July 2014 - 05:19 AM

@low country- I ran the test and it found no errors.
@hamluis- The usual steps. You know, inserting the cd and then changing the the boot options in BIOS to boot from cd. The installation starts good and then I have the "welcome to setup etc.." screen and then I press enter. The setup begins but after a minute or two I get the blue screen.
And yes, the cd is genuine.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,398 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 AM

Posted 05 July 2014 - 09:57 AM

Did you delete all existing partitions...then create a new partition/format/install via the CD?

System manufacturer and model?  If self-built desktop...motherboard manufacturer and model?

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users