Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is this possible? What would cause this? Please help

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Cooldude300

Cooldude300

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 PM

Posted 04 July 2014 - 05:01 AM

Hi there guys, 

The thing i'm gonna ask about happened roughly a year ago or so. So please forgive any info left out, I've simply forgotten them. However the story goes like this. I had a WD Essential SE 1TB external hard drive for a couple of years and then It sort of got corrupted. (or so I thought) So I ran the Smartware software tried to fix any issues I could both with windows and the smartware software however it took way too long and got no where in the end. An interesting thing is that I was using a Laptop at the time and upon booting up the laptop with the hard drive connected to it, it gave me some sort of dos screen like it would with knoppix or the cmd prompt and as I was reading the screen it said something about my passport and deleting some of my files ( They were 3 pictures) and before I saw anything else I powered off my laptop and unplugged my hard drive hoping that it didn't do what I read on the screen.

I haven't touched it since then so I shelved the hard drive hoping that one day I could somehow pull off data or fix it someway. I'm on the computer tonight just bored outta my mind and I looked at my 3.0 Usb Cable thats connected still to my passport drive so I got it out and plugged it in. It started the whole led flashing and the computer reconized it which was great. Windows 7 detected the problems of whatever it may have been before so it asked me to scan and fix the drive( didn't do anything with that cause it seems to lock me out of my drive and since it wouldn't get me anywhere cause it takes too long to finish I just left it up on the screen) moving it away I pull up the drive. To my surprise it actually pulled up my drive and everything was there, I have a few hidden folders I don't reconize which catch my eye right away. I find out that those 3 pictures have been actually removed from their location as well. So I try looking around the drive and everything is super slow at navigating the drive. I'm trying to copy and paste some things over just for the hope of having them back and its also giving me this super slow 20-40K/b speed instead of doing anything faster like what it did in the past. It said 50 minutes est. but when I returned to it it said 19 hours left and it hasn't done anything since.

Something that I wanna point out is that this hard drive of mine seems to be making several clicking noises before just humming silence and then it would just rinse and repeat. I'd love to know whats wrong with my hard drive and how I can restore it with its fast speeds and decent navigating like it was one with the computer but without losing what is on it and formating it. I'm also running some scans on it but at the moment they're very slow and showing nothing has been infected( Scans consist of Norton 360, and Anti-Malware Malwarebytes) The folders that are hidden and I don't reconize them are called .Spotlight-V100, .TemporaryItems, .Trashes. Now i'm not sure if these are of any concern or not but I thought i'd list them off just in case.

Thank you very much for reading my story and situation and I hope that someone or a few of you guys can help solve my issues.

Cooldude300

Edited by Cooldude300, 04 July 2014 - 05:10 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,324 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 PM

Posted 04 July 2014 - 03:14 PM

The drive is failing and you should get your data off.

#3 Cooldude300

Cooldude300
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 PM

Posted 05 July 2014 - 01:51 AM

What would be the best possible way to do so?

#4 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,324 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 PM

Posted 05 July 2014 - 02:12 PM

You could try SpinRite, but it isn't free and from the clicking sound you're describing it sounds like the issue is mechanical.  You could try a professional recovery service like Kroll Ontrack.  I've used Kroll in the past but have never seen a cost of less than $1,000.  For that money you get a new external drive with your recovered data.  Kroll will tell you if nothing can be recovered and you only pay their diagnostic fee.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users