Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Desktop Internet Not Working

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Tenchu

Tenchu

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:55 AM

Posted 04 July 2014 - 04:49 AM

Hi this is the third time I've had to type this out (Windows auto updates restarted in the middle of it and the second time the forum didnt accept my post so it erased everything.) So I hope I don't miss any details I put in the first two times.

Let me start by saying that my desktop is the issue.

Laptop internet and tablet wireless work fine. Laptop wired works fine with the same ethernet cable. I disabled the wireless to check.

I removed and re-seated the network card, inspected it for damage, there wasn't any that I could see no burn marks or disfiguration.

This started yesterday during a thunderstorm. Thunder cracked, internet went off (My power did *not* go off) I unplugged the modem/router comcast thing-y and plugged it back in after a minute or two. The internet on my laptop and tablet was still working, but my desktop didnt respond. I restarted my desktop and the internet *did* work for about 30 minutes before giving up again. Successive reboots did not return the internet to its original working state. 

I ran Ipconfig /release and /renew

/renew threw me an error something to the effect of "an error occurred while renewing interface Local Area Conncection 2 : unable to contact your DHCP Server. Request has timed out. (Thats the card because my on board ethernet stopped working like two years ago)

I checked services.msc to see that the DHCP Server was in fact still running and renewing automatically. 

I tried uninstalling the card from devices and reinstalling/redetecting the hardware both on the spot and from a reboot neither of which resolved the issue. But the card is still detected.

Here is a link to my ipconfig /all

http://i.imgur.com/Dswsaht.png

I hope someone can help me figure this out because I dont have a clue whats going on. (Kind of frustrated)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2014 - 03:26 PM

I suspect the NIC was fried by the power transient. Try a new/known good NIC.

#3 Tenchu

Tenchu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2014 - 04:38 PM

I'm moving on monday but I plan on picking up another one once I get there even though the computer is still detecting the card :(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users