Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Graphics card not running as well as it once was? Games running sluggish.

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 SirMaximusOwnage

SirMaximusOwnage

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:40 PM

Posted 03 July 2014 - 10:26 PM

Hello, I have a MSI Radeon R7770 on my Windows 8.1. Awhile back, games used to run fine at max settings for most games. Now I'm noticing a clear dip. Games that used to run at 1080p are running sluggish even at 720p.

I really have no expertise in this sort of area, and it's affecting my gameplay. Could someone please help me narrow down the problem and nip it in the bud? I can provide any information needed, but I don't even know where to start, so I'll leave it at this for now.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:40 AM

Posted 04 July 2014 - 02:55 AM

Open the PC and check if both fans are running. If they have dust bunnies, clean them out with some canned air. While you're in there check the entire interior of the tower for dust and clean out any air intakes that may be affected.

#3 SirMaximusOwnage

SirMaximusOwnage
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2014 - 10:59 AM

I don't have canned air readily available (I don't have any.). I can do it by hand, though. But my computer is relatively new, so I don't think that's the issue right now. Specially since the only air I feel come out of my tower's fan holes is cool air, even when running games.

Edited by SirMaximusOwnage, 04 July 2014 - 11:14 AM.

#4 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:40 AM

Posted 04 July 2014 - 03:15 PM

I don't have canned air readily available (I don't have any.). I can do it by hand, though. But my computer is relatively new, so I don't think that's the issue right now. Specially since the only air I feel come out of my tower's fan holes is cool air, even when running games.

The refusal to even open up your PC is disturbing. So disturbing that I think I'll let someone else help you. Hope you have an excellent gaming weekend until that happens.

#5 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,066 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2014 - 04:12 PM

sometimes excess heat can affect the cpu and/or gpu which causes a dramatic shift in performance for the worse. the term commonly used is "throttling down" 

obviously, your 7770 had an event which is retarding its performance. can you think of anything specific that could have  happened in the same time frame as the performance drop?

Moore's Law : 4d Graph in Progress

#6 SirMaximusOwnage

SirMaximusOwnage
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2014 - 08:04 PM

I, in fact, did open up my box. Like I said, not really the issue. It's a new computer with hardly dust anywhere. Even when I play games, the air coming out the back of the fan feels cool and flows fresh.

Hmm... No, I can't think of anything that would happen to cause a performance hit. I don't even really have a time frame in which to compare, as the game I am comparing graphics on (Max settings working fine before, compared to 15 frames per second on lowest settings now.) was last played a few months ago.

I did recently update my graphics driver. But I haven't noticed a drop in performance in other games that I was playing before and after the update, which I play regularly.

Could sudden power outages have affected the card in any way? I've had a couple of those since I got my computer. Granted, I've had tons on my old, old computer and it never seemed to be affected.

#7 Stolen

Stolen

• Members
  • 669 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2014 - 10:54 PM

Hi SirMaximusOwnage. 

It could be a number of things, so let's try to address a few more. 

Can you please post your computer specs for qualified helpers to take a look at?  

You mentioned installing a new driver recently. I would completely uninstall the driver and then reinstall it fresh. 

You also have had power outages, so your power supply in your computer could have been damaged.

Is your computer experiencing any drop in performance other than when playing games? 

If yes, you can run a chkdsk to see if your hard drive has errors (go to My Computer, right click, choose Properties>Tools>Error checking>Check now)

Then run a complete antivirus scan because even picking up a virus could cause the issue you described. 

#8 SirMaximusOwnage

SirMaximusOwnage
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2014 - 11:49 PM

If I interpreted what you meant correctly:

My motherboard is an ASRock Z75 Pro 3

My graphics card is a MSI Radeon R7770 GHz edition

I can't find the model and make for my RAM cards (The whole computer came as a DIY set that is no longer featured on newegg.)

My main SSD is a Samsung 840 Pro 128GB. The other 1TB HDD I do not know the make and model of. Is there a way to check these things?

I re-installed my graphics driver.

There have been no other sluggish activities on my computer. I ran a chkdsk anyways, and my hard drives were fine except for my external which I don't run games off of (And it's years old anyway.).

I foolishly started the anti-virus before testing to see if the game ran better. At this rate it'll be hours before I can check. But I thought I would write this update anyways. I'll edit my post or respond as appropriate tomorrow (Or tonight if it finishes earlier than I expect.). Right now it seems I do have some infected files, so maybe that is the cause. We shall see.

#9 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,066 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2014 - 12:31 AM

so, only that one game is dragging the 7770? is it a game that requires being connected to the net to play? i have heard about what they call "full server" which users can expect a slow-down because of all the bit traffic and congestion.

oh, and another thing, some cards have multiple performance levels,  most have two. i think it may be just different clock speeds on the vram and core gpu.  it could be that your 7770 isn't shifting gears, but probably not

and then alas, different games have different pipelines. this one game could be taxing your processor more than others which will lead to a reduced performance. you can open up your task manager and monitor cpu and ram usage. i don't know how to do that in win8. chances are, if your cpu usage is getting pegged, you will hear the fan rev up.

as mentioned above, so many times we see heat related issues which is commonly linked to dust build-up inside the PC cabinet. it seems as though that isn't an adversity here though, but alot of times it is in other PCs.

a speccy readout would help maybe, i will find the link.....be back in a bit

please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic323892.html/page__p__1797792#entry1797792 , taking care to post the link of the snapshot in your next post.

Edited by synergy513, 05 July 2014 - 01:01 AM.

#10 SirMaximusOwnage

SirMaximusOwnage
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2014 - 08:54 AM

Speccy snapshot: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/E7nvnWDMcQOZ8OiKmI4jF0W

This is without me running a game, by the by.

Now that I think about it, all games stayed the same after updating my graphics card, so that can't be it. Still, reinstalled it last night, anyways.

The anti-virus only found a minute few viruses. The games still run sluggish.

Granted, these games are known to be unoptimized, but I ran them fine before, so it shouldn't be an issue. The games in particular that I am most concerned about are Tera: Rising (A mmorpg.) and Dungeon Defenders.

The first I had ran at 40-60 frames per second at max settings. Now it doesn't get above 10 on lowest settings on the character select screen.

The second I had not run until recently on this computer, but seeing as how I was able to get it to run better on an old laptop with integrated graphics, it seems strange that it's running a bit sluggish (Not unplayable, but sluggish.).

Could my card be bypassed, and the games are relying on the CPU alone instead? If so, is there a way around that?

Hope this helps.

#11 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,066 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2014 - 01:18 PM

Count of performance levels : 2

Level 1
GPU Clock: 
300 MHz
Memory Clock: 
150 MHz

Level 2
GPU Clock: 
1000 MHz
Memory Clock: 
1125 MHz

Current Performance Level: 
Level 0

that is a dramatic shift in clock speed.. speccy itself actually lists current performance level spontaneously. that snapshot lists it at 0.whereas while you are really getting the game on, it will monitor the performance level and you should see it go to 2.

it very well could be that the games causing the angst aren't optimized or set for the 4 core cpu config. it happens. if you monitor the task manager cpu usage while executing these games, is it only pegging one core or is it spreading the load?

also, there might be settings inside the game interface itself for the directx11 features. if it is set for 10, that might be causing the slowdown. the 7770 has all the latest and greatest capabilities, but alas, the game may be in legacy mode utilizing features from a bygone era. that happens also.

i think directx 12 is in beta transition so the game may be on that path whereas the 7770 is dx 11. just a remote possibility.

those are but a few variables that i can think of ..there are other contributors that might  be watching this topic that are on top of their game, pun intended. they very well may chime in .

the one consistency is that it once was doing well with these games, but now it isn't. without knowing if any settings changed or  anything switched to auto and changed by themselves.

Edited by synergy513, 05 July 2014 - 02:13 PM.

#12 SirMaximusOwnage

SirMaximusOwnage
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2014 - 10:31 PM

I'm not sure how to check if only core is being used or not. However, only about 30% of the CPU seems to be used. Also, Speccy does not list my graphics card as increasing in performance level. Or would having to alt-tab from the game in full-screen affect that reading?

I'm pretty sure my card has both Directx11 and DirectX10 (And 9.) installed on it, so can that really be a factor? I'm not sure if the games are Directx12. One of them sure isn't as it's got a sequel coming out and is already years old. But I could be wrong.

#13 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,066 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2014 - 01:53 AM

the task manager has a performance tab that graphs the cpu usage and ram usage in real time. your i5 will show four different graphs and they should be in stereo if all 4 cores are active simultaneously.i do not game myself, but when i benchmark my cards with gpu caps viewer or gpu-z , speccy does pick up on it and reads the current performance level at a heightened state. 

chances are that the games aren't dx12, but it is worth checking anyway. some kind of online update very well may have changed settings that you weren't aware of.  the deductions point to the individual game settings themselves.

i am going to look it up, thanks for proviiding the titles and hardware specs, that makes it easier..

TERA on the 7770:  ok, what i am reading is  this... ...apparently if you Change in the S1Engine.ini AllowD3D10=False into AllowD3D10=True that could fix it

also, that game is cpu dependent and under utilizes the 4 cores in some cases.

dungeon defenders is an elusive topic, it looks like a steam game from what i can tell so far..

Edited by synergy513, 07 July 2014 - 02:08 AM.

#14 SirMaximusOwnage

SirMaximusOwnage
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2014 - 03:51 AM

I've gotten games to run a bit better by restoring defaults on the Catalyst Control Center for games. But Speccy still does not show my card's performance above level 0. While I can play the games a bit better now, it can probably still be better. How can I boost my GPU to levels 1 and 2 during gameplay?
Or is the GPU working fine and Speccy just not detecting the change on my particular computer for some reason? Because Speccy DOES notice the temperature increase when I'm playing games.

I do not know where to find graphs for 4 different CPU's on Win8's task manager. There is only one graph for CPU, and it does not seem to differentiate between the cores. Though I'm sure the other cores are running fine, it's just me who can't find the information.

Isn't DirectX10 more demanding than 9? If so, wouldn't AllowD3D=True be more resource demanding?

How can I make a game utilize all 4 cores?

Dungeon Defenders is indeed a Steam game.

Edited by SirMaximusOwnage, 07 July 2014 - 03:51 AM.

#15 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,066 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2014 - 05:38 AM

in windows 7 the task manager is found by pressing ctrl+alt+delete at the same time and it is listed in the options. i don't know if it is the same in win8. i haven't used catalyst control center in quite a while, i can't remember all of the options, but i think you can get MSI afterburner and have a looksie and see if there are options available to set the performance level in static fashion. i would definitely be careful with it though, it appears that you possibly could get caught up in the newfound functionality and trash your 7770 or make it unstable. you can also download gpu-z and gpu caps viewer, those are dedicated to gpu info and will be more specific about the performance level of the card, whereas speccy is overall system and may miss the mark, i just know that speccy picks up my performance level increase.. i think the lower performance levels are to keep the card cooler and less energy demanding while in idle or during less intense cycles. i think the string toggle is to allow dx10 instead of defaulting to dx11. i am not certain though. your 7770 is dx10 capable also.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users