Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

copying live iso disks

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 heyyou325

heyyou325

• Members
  • 326 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:18 PM

Posted 03 July 2014 - 08:43 PM

Is it possible to copy and then burn alive DVD of an operating system?  I have a vague memory of reading about it, and have tried with Zorin, robolinux, and mint.  My son has an old xp computer with malware on I'm sure.  I recommended some of these distros to him and his wive.  I HAVE 18 LIVE dvds, and would like to send a few back with him, But also want to keep them for myself.  I copy the files on the dvds on my desktop, then try to burn them but the dvd burner can't find the isos.  I go right to the file, and the properties have the right amount of kbs. but the burner doesn't show any thing in them.  For example, I  click open on Zorin, and it shows casper, install, etc.  I click open on them and nothing.  When I click on a saved download, there is no problem.  What have I messed up now?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 heyyou325

heyyou325
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 326 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2014 - 08:46 PM

Sorry about the all caps, I accidently hit the caps lock, I guess twice.  Didn't notice when I read it before I posted, and can't find the button to edit it.

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,650 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:18 AM

Posted 03 July 2014 - 09:08 PM

You can copy the iso files to DVD's as iso files and let your son burn the iso to create a Live CD or you can use Imgburn or Isoburner to burn the iso file to disk. After you burn the iso, you should see separate files on the disk, not just one iso file. If you have Windows 7 just double click the file and Windows will burn the iso file for you.

If you install Imgburn, make sure you opt out of any optional software it wants you do download.

Edited by JohnC_21, 03 July 2014 - 09:08 PM.

#4 TheGreatGarbled

TheGreatGarbled

• Banned
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:48 PM

Posted 03 July 2014 - 09:09 PM

What "Burner?" I use K3b in Linux to burn *the best in my opinion. And Infra-Recorder in Windows *although it is slow to start after selecting your downloaded .iso from the websites. Both are good. Haven't had a problem. K3b's new version has an irritating "pre-format" it tries to do with a brand new blank DVD inserted. It fails, kicks the DVD out and you have to start over. Can't find a control to skip that.

#5 heyyou325

heyyou325
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 326 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2014 - 10:06 PM

XFburn, the default burner on Zorin.  I've burnt mot of the live disks with it,  And after the first one on windows 8.1, i have img burn on it.   I haven't had a problem, but always with the downloaded files.  I've always just got into disc burn, clicked iso, found the file and clicked to open it.  It's never opened before.  I can open the file, and see the files inside.  This time I inserted the dvd, copied the files off it onto my desktop and tried to burn it from there.  XFburn normally opens the files til it comes to an iso file, then  burns it.  After I click on iso file, that's all it will burn, I think.  That's why I'm thinking the files aren't iso after I pulled them off the disk.  Hence, before I get too frustrated, I'm asking.  Probably something real easy.  I still know nothing about computers, or anything else for that matter.  It takes over 8 hrs to download most operating systems, at over 2 gb, avlinux is over 3.  If they don't time out and kick off.  I am going to try to get zorn, just over 900mb tonight.  With downloads that size, about half the time the operating system has troubles, even when it's a complete download.  I imagine the bits don't all come in the right order, but I don't know that.  I've been trying to decide which system I liked best for over 6 months, now others want me to recommend.

#6 TheGreatGarbled

TheGreatGarbled

• Banned
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:48 PM

Posted 03 July 2014 - 10:18 PM

Instead of doing the long downloads, I just bought a finished disc *Mint16 when it came out*  for like $4.00 from OSDisc on the Distrowatch Website link on the bottom Left ad. Felt I could donate a few bucks to Linux since I've been using it since 2008. Took only 2 days

http://distrowatch.com

Edited by TheGreatGarbled, 03 July 2014 - 10:19 PM.

#7 heyyou325

heyyou325
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 326 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2014 - 07:25 AM

That's fine, I've been thinking about doing that.  Just haven't.  But my son and his wife are leaving tuesday, and I'd like to have something to send with him.  So far I have an untested avlinux as the first 2 didn't work when installed (really thought about buying the disc there).  And a tails which I'm not so sure I like, or even approve of.  I found the downloads to them.  I have a perfectly good mint 16 cinnamon which I liked , and a zorin lite which I really like and so far is the one him and his wife have used here, which I would like to copy for them.  Along with Puppy, fedora, manjaro, makulu, mate, and xfce(I think is the desktop), lubuntu (twice I see), mint 17, 2 different robolinux, and a pinguy, which I haven't really checked out yet, but like on live disc.  I'd like to send them 3 or 4 to check before they install.  Suppose I could mail them to them.  Tried 2 downloads last night of zorin and neither finished.

Edited by heyyou325, 04 July 2014 - 07:25 AM.

#8 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,734 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 PM

Posted 05 July 2014 - 04:23 AM

I use K3b in Linux to burn

So do I,  Its nice.

I find that in kububtu all I have to do is double click the iso and K3b launches and offers default burning options that i accept, Kinda like the default ISO burner in Windows8.

#9 heyyou325

heyyou325
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 326 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2014 - 07:59 AM

OK, I'll try to find K3b burner.  Hope it's in the software center for zorin, as so far I've never installed from oput of it.  I'm sure I can screw that up too.  XFburn has worked great on all my other stuff.  I've decided to buy the kids about 3 dvd's to choose from from OSdisk.  Still wondering if and why the files changed frim ISO to something else.  I'm still a noob, going back to my windows thinking and looking at the file to so what extension it is.  Only took my 15 years to learn to function there, in another 15, I probably won't care.

#10 bmike1

bmike1

• Members
  • 596 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2014 - 03:42 PM

I burn my ISOs with brasero. Never had a problem with it.

A/V Software? I don't need A/V software. I've run Linux since '98 w/o A/V software and have never had a virus. I never even had a firewall until '01 when I began to get routers with firewalls pre installed. With Linux if a vulnerability is detected a fix is quickly found and then upon your next update the vulnerability is patched.  If you must worry about viruses  on a Linux system only worry about them in the sense that you can infect a windows user. I recommend Linux Mint or, if you need a lighter weight operating system that fits on a cd, MX14 or AntiX.

#11 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,734 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 PM

Posted 05 July 2014 - 07:42 PM

I'm sure I can screw that up too.

Doubt it as package manager takes care of it all.

I burn my ISOs with brasero.

I find that Brassero can be a bit fussy over that + - thing.

#12 heyyou325

heyyou325
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 326 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2014 - 04:07 AM

I just had a great nephew whose a computer tech in Seattle for apple explain to me that when an iso file is burnt onto a dvd it expands it.  So when you copy off the dvd, it is no longer an iso.  I would need to install a program to turn things into iso s .  He probably dummied it down for me some, but it explains why I couldn't do it.  He then started to explain how to download/ install (should be in software center) on and make it into an iso again.  I followed the download and install.  Still think I'll get one made online.  

#13 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,282 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2014 - 08:53 PM

I just had a great nephew whose a computer tech in Seattle for apple explain to me that when an iso file is burnt onto a dvd it expands it.  So when you copy off the dvd, it is no longer an iso.  I would need to install a program to turn things into iso s .  He probably dummied it down for me some, but it explains why I couldn't do it.  He then started to explain how to download/ install (should be in software center) on and make it into an iso again.  I followed the download and install.  Still think I'll get one made online.  

Are you still asking a question or making a statement?  I'm not sure why you are trying to image an iso to a live cd then reverse that process? is that what you are saying?

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#14 heyyou325

heyyou325
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 326 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2014 - 11:22 AM

I was letting people know an answer I received to my question.  I was going to make copies of live dvds and send home with my son and his wife.  It didn't work, and I was wondering if I made a mistake, or what.  Ended up buying some and having them shipped to them.  

#15 Kaosu

Kaosu

• Members
  • 173 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2014 - 08:44 PM

The generic description of an ISO is an archive that is a perfect sector-by-sector representation of an optical disc. Yes, when you burn an ISO archive to a CD/DVD, the software basically expands the image and creates an identical copy of the data to the target device. Given this description, you can see that there would be several ways to create a usable copy of these LiveCD's. However, the easiest solution is to create an image of the LiveCD and then re-create it.

Creating an ISO from CD/DVD

1) Place the CD/DVD into your optical drive.

2) Find the correct blocksize and blockcount:

isoinfo -d -i /dev/cdrom

Make sure to write down the listed blocksize and blockcount for our next step.

If needed, change /dev/cdrom to reflect your optical drive.

3) Create the image using DD:

dd if=/dev/cdrom bs=blocksize count=count of=~/whatevername.iso

Replace bs=blocksize and count=count with the blocksize and blockcount from Step 2. Only change what is highlighted in red.

If needed, change /dev/cdrom to reflect your optical drive. You can also modify ~/whatevername.iso to reflect whatever destination and filename you would like to use. ~/ is your home directory.

4) Burn the newly created image to a new CD/DVD and enjoy!

Edited by Kaosu, 08 July 2014 - 09:01 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users