Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Random Shutdowns in Windows 8.1

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 1afn1

1afn1

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 AM

Posted 03 July 2014 - 08:21 PM

I wasn't too sure which forum to post this, so I apologize if you preferred it elsewhere.

My 13 year old son's PC has a nasty habit of shutting down with no warning and often with no dump file to view. I've run Who Crashed and it lists 5 dump file crashes, but the last one was in June. However, his PC shut down about 6 times today alone and it happens several times every day.

When I reboot the system, the PC acts as if nothing happened. There is no warning about unexpected shut down, check, hang up, or anything usually resulting from a BSOD. Oh, there is never an apparent BSOD. It's an instantaneous shutdown.

I suspected it might be thermal because he was running hot. I put his PC in a place with better air flow, near an AC, cleaned out the dust and the dust filters, confirmed his fans are working. While at heavy load his core temp was hitting 85 degrees Celsius, it idles at about 35 degrees Celsius and typically runs in the 45-60 range. The PC has shut down at temps in the low 30 degree Celsius range, so it doesn't appear to be thermal related. Although, it's clear he needs a better cooling solution.

Who Crashed referenced a problematic driver cfrmd.sys Safe Deletion File. It's related to Comodo. I deleted that and it had no effect on the problem.

I attempted to upgrade his video driver, but it kept shutting down during the process. As a result, there was no driver. I was able to load it through the Properties in Device Manager, but it loaded an older driver. I attempted to upgrade it twice more, but for some reason it stopped in the middle of the upgrade with a notification that it could not upgrade the driver.

He does have a very poor internet download habit, so I suspect it might be malware. Malwarebytes found and cleaned 17 items and Comodo antivirus found none. The problem persists. 

I'm leaning towards driver issues, but I don't know.

Also, his Movie Studio Platinum stops working as soon as he loads the program. This is why I'm thinking driver issue, but I'm stumped.

I have a Hijack This log, but won't post it unless requested.

System info:

iBuyPower ARC

Windows 8.1

AMD FX-4200 Quad-Core 3.30 GHz

4GB RAM

GeForce 610GT 1GB (he has an upgrade to a Radeon R7 260X OC 2GB that I will install after I confirm there are no other issues)

Thanks for you assistance.

Anthony

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Darktune

Darktune

Very Purple

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 AM

Posted 04 July 2014 - 04:38 AM

Hello and Welcome to BC!

Is the PC custom built? 

Does the PC still shut down if you left it alone?

Thanks,

Darktune

It's very hard to imagine all the crazy things that things really are like. 

Electrons act like waves.. no they don't exactly, they act like particles.. no they don't exactly.

Words and ideas can change the world.

#3 hotcore

hotcore

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 AM

Posted 04 July 2014 - 06:38 AM

Hi, I do not want to interfere here, but in the past I have experienced such problems and I solved it by removing Comodo!

Maybe you can try to use a different AV / Firewall program and try it out.

#4 1afn1

1afn1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 AM

Posted 07 July 2014 - 09:02 AM

Good morning, sorry for the delayed response. I was away for the extended weekend.

No, it's not a custom build. I purchased it through Newegg from iBuypower.

I have seen the PC shut down several times while no one is sitting there, however, in all of those instances I was either downloading an updated driver or performing some scan. I have not seen it truly idle and shut down. It also shuts down doing mundane tasks like writing an e-mail, web browsing, etc. Of course, when my son plays his games, it shuts down, too.

On the flip side, he didn't turn off the PC the other night before he went to bed and it was still on the next morning.

I installed the new PSU to upgrade it from the stock 300W to 650W. I also upgraded the video card. It looked promising, but the following day the shutdowns resumed. Two crashes and a completely frozen PC this morning alone. All fans are completely functional.

As usual, no dump file for any of these instances. It's like it never happened according to Windows.

I did manage to resolve his Movie Studio Platinum issue by clearing his cache and updating an FX file. So the two problems are now confirmed to be unrelated.

#5 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 AM

Posted 07 July 2014 - 09:59 AM

A test possibly worth doing is downloading a Linux distribution (e.g. Linux Mint ) and burning it to DVD or if you prefer, a USB stick. You can then boot to Linux from the DVD in live mode.  Let it run for a while in Live mode (you should be able to use the internet etc.).  Note this will make no changes to the system permanently as nothing is installed.

This will take the possibility of corrupted drivers or malware out of the equation.  If problems persist while Linux running, that would point to a hardware cause.  On the other hand if it shows no sign of problems, at least you can say with some confidence that there is a likely software cause (e.g. drivers or malware).

7sbvuf-6.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users