Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to properly install SSD into Toshiba C855D

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 cdc1200

cdc1200

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 AM

Posted 03 July 2014 - 07:28 PM

Hello,

I purchased a Samsung SSD 840 Evo to put into a Toshiba C855D.  This machine was taken out of commision by a blow to the backside which resulted in a clicking hard drive that would not boot.

I have placed the Samsung in the machine and the BIOS recognizes it.

i thought i would start with Linux on a USB to see if the machine will still work.

Do i need to do anything to the drive?

Can I install an ISO for Linux Ubuntu on the memory stick and get this machine back into a useable state.

I thought I would eventually install a windows, but may not need to.

Any thoughts will be greatly appreciated and I apologize if this entry is in the wrong forum.

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Frozwire

Frozwire

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2014 - 08:12 PM

If you have plans of dual booting then I think you should install Windows first before Linux.

"Encryption...is a powerful defensive weapon for free people. It offers a technical guarantee of privacy, regardless of who is running the government... It's hard to think of a more powerful, less dangerous tool for liberty...” - Esther Dyson

#3 TheGreatGarbled

TheGreatGarbled

• Banned
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:40 AM

Posted 03 July 2014 - 09:02 PM

This is the site I used to optimize my SSD with Linux Mint/Ubuntu.
https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/ssd

Frozwire is correct. I've found it best to have Windows on the PC first if you dual boot.

#4 cdc1200

cdc1200
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2014 - 10:39 PM

OK, so i guess putting the drive in is right.

when i put the stick with ubuntu in it boots to GNU Grub 2.02 beta 2-9.

then i can try without installing

install ubuntu

oem install

check disk for defects.

when i try choices one and two i get a black screen locked up.

Any ideas where to go from here?

thanks!

#5 TheGreatGarbled

TheGreatGarbled

• Banned
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:40 AM

Posted 03 July 2014 - 11:19 PM

IF this PC had Windows 8 on it, the BIOS might need to be accessed by hitting Escape/F2/F10 or whatever it is to accerss the BIOs to turn the UEFI off. I'm not versed in Windows 8 and UEFI. But I saw a pic of your laptop advertised and it had Windows8 showing on front. It could be THAT OR it could be the long, long delay in booting from a live dvd and or USB. That's what happens when you boot a live DVD, a long black window and it seems like nothing's happening. Then it does kick in. If you got to the Selection Desktop? then maybe it's UEFI *if Windows8 Bios. If not? then maybe someone else has a suggestion. I'm used to XP/Vista/Win7 and doing all this, not with Windows8 and UEFI safeboot. Even if it's a new blank SSD, the Bios IS the BIOS for that computer. If it's a newer PC, it could be UEFI

#6 cdc1200

cdc1200
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2014 - 07:49 AM

Thanks for the info!

chose the other choice (not UEFI) and got it going.

now i am up to the partition screen and get this :

Attached File  20140704_074134.jpg   181.89KB   0 downloads

"No root file system is defined"

any ideas here will be very apreciative

for now i plan on keeping this machine Linux only.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users