Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Getting a "Cannot Start Application" popup every so often

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 SusBus

SusBus

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 AM

Posted 03 July 2014 - 06:12 PM

Twice a day or so a little window pops up saying: 

Cannot Start Application

Cannot continue. The application is improperly formatted. Contact the application vendor for assistance.

[OK] [Details...]

When I click [Details...] a txt file opens. The most recent one is called CACP25NB. Here is a paste of it.

PLATFORM VERSION INFO
Windows : 6.1.7601.65536 (Win32NT)
Common Language Runtime : 4.0.30319.18331
System.Deployment.dll : 4.0.30319.18331 built by: FX45GDRSTAGE
clr.dll : 4.0.30319.18331 built by: FX45GDRSTAGE
dfdll.dll : 4.0.30319.18331 built by: FX45GDRSTAGE
dfshim.dll : 4.0.41209.0 (Main.041209-0000)

SOURCES

ERROR SUMMARY
Below is a summary of the errors, details of these errors are listed later in the log.
+ Exception reading manifest from http://ads.firstimpwins.com/creative/2-002137026-00001i;size=4;tag_id=4649;ref=INSERT_REFERRER_HERE;cb=INSERT_CACHEBUSTER_HERE: the manifest may not be valid or the file could not be opened.
+ An error occurred while parsing EntityName. Line 1, position 43.

COMPONENT STORE TRANSACTION FAILURE SUMMARY
No transaction error was detected.

WARNINGS
There were no warnings during this operation.

OPERATION PROGRESS STATUS

ERROR DETAILS
Following errors were detected during this operation.
* [7/3/2014 7:03:06 PM] System.Deployment.Application.InvalidDeploymentException (ManifestParse)
- Exception reading manifest from http://ads.firstimpwins.com/creative/2-002137026-00001i;size=4;tag_id=4649;ref=INSERT_REFERRER_HERE;cb=INSERT_CACHEBUSTER_HERE: the manifest may not be valid or the file could not be opened.
- Source: System.Deployment
- Stack trace:
at System.Deployment.Application.ManifestReader.FromDocument(String localPath, ManifestType manifestType, Uri sourceUri)
at System.Deployment.Application.DownloadManager.DownloadDeploymentManifestDirectBypass(SubscriptionStore subStore, Uri& sourceUri, TempFile& tempFile, SubscriptionState& subState, IDownloadNotification notification, DownloadOptions options, ServerInformation& serverInformation)
at System.Deployment.Application.DownloadManager.DownloadDeploymentManifestBypass(SubscriptionStore subStore, Uri& sourceUri, TempFile& tempFile, SubscriptionState& subState, IDownloadNotification notification, DownloadOptions options)
at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.PerformDeploymentActivation(Uri activationUri, Boolean isShortcut, String textualSubId, String deploymentProviderUrlFromExtension, BrowserSettings browserSettings, String& errorPageUrl)
at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.ActivateDeploymentWorker(Object state)
--- Inner Exception ---
System.Xml.XmlException
- An error occurred while parsing EntityName. Line 1, position 43.
- Source: System.Xml
- Stack trace:
at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Throw(String res, String arg)
at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ParseEntityName()
at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ParseAttributeValueSlow(Int32 curPos, Char quoteChar, NodeData attr)
at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ParseAttributes()
at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ParseElement()
at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ParseDocumentContent()
at System.Deployment.Application.ManifestValidatingReader.XmlFilteredReader.Read()
at System.Xml.XmlCharCheckingReader.Read()
at System.Xml.XsdValidatingReader.Read()
at System.Deployment.Application.ManifestReader.FromDocument(String localPath, ManifestType manifestType, Uri sourceUri)

COMPONENT STORE TRANSACTION DETAILS
No transaction information is available.

Not sure if it's relevant, but I recently removed a bit of adware from my system by running MBAM and manually removing a few system 32 files it installed. Anyways, this issue hasn't caused any horrible problems or anything, it's just annoying and concerning and I would like to have it fixed. Thank you for any help you can provide!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2014 - 06:41 PM

Files Deployment.dll, clr.dll, and dfdll.dll are listed in that report; they are all part of the .NET software.  Did you accidentally remove them?  If so they might be in the Recycle Bin, so I'd look there.

As a general rule manually deleting files, especially system files is a bad idea.  You're not going to save enough disk space to amount to anything, and you can easily cripple your system doing it.

Good luck. 

Edited by wpgwpg, 03 July 2014 - 06:43 PM.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#3 SusBus

SusBus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2014 - 06:44 PM

I may have removed them while getting rid of virus files, and my recycle bin is empty. Uh oh. Is the .NET thing serious? Are there any consequences of having these files missing? How would I go about fixing it?

Edited by SusBus, 04 July 2014 - 05:18 PM.

#4 SusBus

SusBus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2014 - 05:15 PM

Anyone?

#5 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,112 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 AM

Posted 04 July 2014 - 06:11 PM

If this problem is of reasonably recent origin, you might get away with doing a Windows Restore, using a restore from before the trouble started. This would be the easiest solution.

Click 'Start - control panel - recovery - Start system restore'. When you get to the restore screen click on the button 'Additional restore points' to see all available ones and pick one from before all this started.

If that doesn't work, or you don't have an old enough restore point, you could try a Repair Install if you have either Windows installation disc or a Windows repair disc available.If you look at the BC tutorials you will find how to create and use a Windows repair disc.

Or alternatively, you could re-install the .NET framework which you can download from Microsoft here -

http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/details.aspx?id=40779

Chris Cosgrove

#6 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2014 - 10:51 AM

.NET is a set of Microsoft software that is used by some applications.  If you have deleted parts of it, it's a bit like removing something from under the hood of your car.  You can see which .NET software Windows thinks you have installed by looking at the Programs and Features applet of the Control Panel.  I have to say that when something like this happens to me, I can restore my system from an automatic full system backup I make and keep for 6 months.  Since you apparently don't have system backups, you could try the System Restore suggestion Chris Cosgrove made above.

You can also go to the Microsoft web site and see where you can download various versions of .NET software here:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/search/DownloadResults.aspx?q=.net%20download .  I strongly recommend that you make a full system backup to an external hard drive before attempting to fool around with system software though.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users