Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Advice on networking solution/file management

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Hbomb1921

Hbomb1921

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:22 PM

Posted 03 July 2014 - 05:44 PM

I have two problems that are really networking issue: (1) do I need a server or a NAS, and (2) file management / consolidation

Here's the issue -- I've been such an idiot for a few years, always put together new computers, etc, and new storage solutions, but I've never been good at consolidating anything.  This means there are duplicate files of every possible document/photo format everywhere.  It's time to be a big boy, simplify my life, and consolidate everything.

So what can I do, that's somewhat automated, to go over the thousands of duplicate files, or at least to pull in certain formats into one central location.  And after that, what solution should I use to back everything up (I can't afford to store everything on the cloud).  For storing files, I see two possible solutions, either NAS or a file server of some sorts.  In the past I've used a windows 2011 home server, but I found that writing and moving files onto this thing was brutally slow, 15mps or less slow.  Now it could be the computer I had at the time wasn't all that great, it was an Intel Atom dual core 510, 4gbs RAM.  Point is, I gave up on it.

Any thoughts or ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2014 - 06:57 PM

How much data do you have?  Since you can buy up to 4 TB external hard drives for as little as $150, that would be my first choice.  Using a USB 3 connection I can copy about 115 GB in under 15 minutes to an external hard drive.  Here's a link to an article from PC World recommending two products for finding duplicate files.

As for backup programs, I use Easeus Todo Backup Free and am extermely happy with it.

Good luck.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#3 Hbomb1921

Hbomb1921
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2014 - 07:04 AM

5TB at least.  I'm an amateur photographer - I didn't see your link, can you re-share?  Thanks for the tips.

#4 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,442 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 PM

Posted 04 July 2014 - 07:48 AM

Why do you need it on the network?  Would a USB device work?  I bought a Mediasonic HF2-SU3S2 ProBox 4 Bay Hard Drive Enclosure.  It allowed me to put my old drives back into use.  The best part was that once they were installed I was able to read the drives just as they were before I took them out of my machine.  It basically works as a four drive USB to SATA adapter.

As for moving the data if you moved it from the oldest drive to the newest.  This would allow you to replace files with newer files.  Another possible option would be to have enough drive space to copy all of your data and then dedupe it once it is there using a program designed for that purpose.

#5 uByte

uByte

• Members
  • 243 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2014 - 08:46 AM

I have used a program before to remove duplicates and it was Fast File Duplicator

I would dump everything on a USB 3.0 Hard drive and make an image before I start. I don't think a Sever is necessary. You could do the NAS, but  unless you want several people to access your pictures or you want an easy way to access files remotely I might not do it. 

As for running Windows Home Server 2011 on a Atom processor... Well I am surprised that it was able to copy at 15Mbps. You might do good getting a Gigabit Network card and a Gigabit switch to increase those speeds if you still want to use that. I still have mine which I love I just stopped using it. I loved the automatic system images that it did every night. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users