Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

The NSA thinks Linux Journal is an “extremist forum”?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,792 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 AM

Posted 03 July 2014 - 04:52 PM

The National Security Agency’s attempts to keep track of people outside the US who use encryption and anonymization software from the Tor Project also apparently captured the traffic of anyone reading a wide range of articles on Linux Journal, according to documents published by the German public television broadcaster ARD and provided by security researchers (and Tor contributors) Jacob Appelbaum, Aaron Gibsom, and Leif Ryge. The documents—which include what appears to be search rules for the NSA’s XKeyscore Internet surveillance system, indicate that the NSA also gathered up data on visitors to articles on the Linux Journal website.

Source

Bleep you NSA, Unlike some, Linux users believe in freedom, Linux Journal is a cool site and I am a member, I also live in a free country and will go where I want and read what I want, You don't like it? Too Bleeping bad.

Edited by NickAu1, 03 July 2014 - 05:02 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 heyyou325

heyyou325

• Members
  • 326 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 AM

Posted 03 July 2014 - 08:28 PM

NSA is in a tough place.  9/11 they were in trouble for not collecting enough and the public and politicians demanded they look at more.  They don't make the rules, they just have to follow them.  I was reading a couple days ago, the courts, FISA, and a bipartisan congressional committee all said they followed the rules.  We seem to go off the handle too easy, and then want to go to extremes.  Remember how you felt in 2001 after the twin towers came down.  A few people said the new guidelines went way too far, and they did.  But our public servants from the military the government workers just have to follow the rules that change constantly.  With operating systems like tails whose main purpose is to make it near impossible to tell where posts come from and go to.  How many child predators have been found that way? And how many crimes have been averted thru surveillance.  They are just trying to protect your going where and when you want.  And read what you want.   It's hard sometimes to calm down and look at the big picture.   I think most people respond out of react out of fear, and I don't think that is a good way to react.  I respect your opinion and knowledge Nick, but take a deep breath or two.  O, in the 70's I was under the NSA (in the military) and their rules (believe me they have changed a lot).  They are just doing what they've been told by both political parties here, and most of the people.  That said, I will be posting problems yet, and don't want to upset you.  You are very knowledgeable about computer things, linux things, and this site.  And I thank you for that

#3 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:11 PM

Posted 04 July 2014 - 03:00 AM

Repeal the Patriot Act (what a misnomer!).

#4 Winterland

Winterland

• Members
  • 980 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 AM

Posted 04 July 2014 - 06:11 AM

Hola there Nick! Hope everything is well in your part of the world.

Gotta start out by saying I'm thinking your topic should have been in The Speak Easy section of BC, but alas, there isn't much traffic here in the Linux & Unix Forums so I guess this won't hurt.  :lol:

I did want to toss in the 2 cents I have left in my pocket and say that I agree, more or less, with heyyou325, with regards that most things in Life and with any Governments just aren't that easy or simple.

History has shown us that over and over again, and once enough Time has passed, most things (read: Events) look very different.

Having said that, and living here in the States, things have been difficult and odd at times but I'm electing to keep the Faith. Which is not to say I'm keeping my head under the blanket, but rather to just keep reading, staying informed, writing letters when I need to, signing petitions that I agree with and talking or giving feedback to my elected officials when I can.

I don't believe the "bleep you!" response will get much done in the long run, but like Noam Chomsky, I support you and your right to do so 1000000% and will fight for your right to do so as well.

And as for ElfBane, I agree also that the Patriot Act really should be looked over and repealed.

And amongst all those strong beliefs and convictions, I believe I'll go get another cup of coffee.

Have a great day.

Winterland

Photobucket removed my cool flag - idiots!

Every calculation based on experience elsewhere fails in New Mexico.

#5 heyyou325

heyyou325

• Members
  • 326 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 AM

Posted 04 July 2014 - 07:53 AM

I believe I'll go get another cup of coffee.
History has shown us that over and over again, and once enough Time has passed, most things (read: Events) lookvery different.
I support you and your right to do so 1000000% and will fight for your right to do so as well.
Having said that, and living here in the States, things have been difficult and odd at times but I'm electing to keep the Faith. Which is not to say I'm keeping my head under the blanket, but rather to just keep reading, staying informed, writing letters when I need to, signing petitions that I agree with and talking or giving feedback to my elected officials when I can.

I couldn't agree more, especially the first one, already did the second one, and still would, and be as big of a pain to you politicians as they are to you.  Who knows it might help, it used to.  I have a much harder time with these new fangled concepts.

I agree, more or less, with heyyou325

this one sort of scares me.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,702 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:11 AM

Posted 04 July 2014 - 04:50 PM

I'm probably already on their list because I went to the Tails webpage and Truecrypt too.

#7 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• Topic Starter

• 11,792 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 AM

Posted 05 July 2014 - 04:44 AM

I'm thinking your topic should have been in The Speak Easy section of BC,

I put it here only because it's Linux related and I am a member there, If you guy's feel that it should be in the speak easy so you can say what you want I am sure one of the mod's will move it, Just hit the report button and ask nicley, I have no objection to that.

#8 Winterland

Winterland

• Members
  • 980 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 AM

Posted 05 July 2014 - 06:13 AM

I put it here only because it's Linux related and I am a member there, If you guy's feel that it should be in the speak easy so you can say what you want I am sure one of the mod's will move it, Just hit the report button and ask nicley, I have no objection to that.

I won't report you to the "authorities" - I'm glad it's here 'cause as a rule, I don't really visit or check The Speak Easy. A little too much anger and heated arguments for my taste.

I prefer the laid-back open-source feel of these discussions.

And yeah, I've got the TOR browser installed so I'm probably on the list as well.

*sigh*

Coffee, must get more coffee.

Winterland - the non-extremist Linux loving noob

Photobucket removed my cool flag - idiots!

Every calculation based on experience elsewhere fails in New Mexico.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users