Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Acer Laptop, Windows 8 & Diskcryptor

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 sreeves89

sreeves89

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 AM

Posted 03 July 2014 - 12:55 PM

Hello!

I'm working on a laptop right now that needs encryption.  In the past I've used TrueCrypt, and will possibly continue to do so depending on how it all plays out, but unfortunately I need to encrypt now so I went searching for another option.  Diskcryptor seems to be a good alternative from everything I've looked through and simple enough to install.

So quickly, what I did was install it, restart, then encrypt the C drive. It took approximately 10 hours, (500GB HDD).  It said it was mounted and everything seemed fine. I restarted to test that it worked out alright and Acer responds with "Preparing Automatic Repairs" --> then --> "Diagnosing PC" --> then --> "Attempting Automatic Repairs" and finally when that all fails it pops up to a screen saying "Automatic Repair couldn't repair your PC"

I can either Shut Down or go to Advanced Options.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Under Advanced Options I get:

"Continue: Exit & continue to Windows 8" -> Which promptly returns to attempting automatic repairs.

"Troubleshoot: Refresh or reset your PC, or use advanced tools" -> Which has three options

"Refresh your PC: If your PC isn't running well, you can refresh it without losing your files" -> Didn't want to try yet because the drive is encrypted, I have yet to put the password in so I was afraid it might try replacing supposedly "corrupt" files

"Reset your PC: If you want to remove all of your files you can reset your PC completely" Don't want to do this for obvious reasons...

"Advanced Options" -> Has the following

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"System Restore" haven't tried yet

"System Image Recovery" Don't believe I even have an image, so didn't try.

"Automatic Repair" Assume this is the aforementioned item, so haven't tried.

"Command Prompt" I know a decent amount about computers, but I don't know any command line options at the moment that would help.

"UEFI Firmware Settings" Guess I'm out of the loop nowadays as this used to be BIOS... Went here and tried changing things including trying to go to Legacy BIOS with no luck, (Just repeatedly restarted)

"Startup Settings" Takes me back to the Automatic Repair as mentioned above.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Computer Model: Acer Aspire E1-571-6801

I've been dealing with IT-related tasks for several years however recently I haven't kept up with the newest and haven't even used Windows 8 itself much. I'm assuming there is something I'm missing.  I'm confident the drive isn't irreparable, so I'm here in hopes that someone might have an idea as to where to go from here.  Normally I test all software I've never used on a virtual machine but in this case I was in a pinch and needed to get this drive encrypted, and now I'm paying the price.

Any help would be much appreciated. If any other information is needed, let me know.

Thanks in advance!

--Sam

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 sreeves89

sreeves89
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2014 - 12:57 PM

PS - I was an idiot and did not adhere to creating a live boot disk.  It almost sounded like with Diskcryptor you could do it from a different computer, however, so I was wondering if this was possible and if so how?  Thanks again.

#3 sreeves89

sreeves89
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2014 - 01:42 PM

(Not sure if you folks prefer editing posts with there are several in a row, so I apologize for that)

I went into command prompt and it has an X: drive which I imagine is my restore partition. Going to "C" drive it tells me the volume does not contain a recognized file system.  Please make sure that all required file system drivers are loaded and that the volume is not corrupted.

So I honestly believe it has to do simply with getting Diskcryptor to load at boot, and for some reason it is not doing that. If I can get it to recognize that, allow me to put in the password then it should be able to recognize the C drive.  Since, again, I'm not up to date, I'm not sure how to proceed regarding dealing with the bootloader or whatever else I need to fix.

Thanks again.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,596 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2014 - 01:43 PM

From what I could find Diskcryptor does not support encryption on a GPT system partition, only MBR with legacy BIOS and not UEFI. You might want to confirm that on their forum

https://diskcryptor.net/forum/index.php?topic=4680.0

https://diskcryptor.net/forum/index.php?topic=4715.0

#5 sreeves89

sreeves89
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2014 - 01:50 PM

I was afraid of that...

OK, my biggest concern as of this moment is getting the drive decrypted.  I'm going to do some research on that, (according to some of the posts you showed people were able to have the exact same issue I am and get it decrypted... I'm just hoping it is still possible even though I didn't make a boot CD.)

I did try making a boot CD from another computer but it, of course, didn't work....

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,596 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2014 - 01:57 PM

I think you would get a better chance by registering over at the Diskcryptor forum. But, if you find the solution, please post back. Good Luck

From this thread it only seems possible if you have an MBR partition, not GPT. You would need to create a BARTPE disk using XP and use the the DiskCryptor plugin to decrypt the drive but that only works if you can access the partiton in the first place which XP cannot do on a GPT disk.

Edit: I assume you followed the instructions here to create a bootable Live CD.

Edited by JohnC_21, 03 July 2014 - 01:59 PM.

#7 sreeves89

sreeves89
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2014 - 03:51 PM

Hey! I meant to respond, but been busy the last week.

I was able to decrypt the drive, as expected, by removing it from the laptop and connecting it to my other computer where I also installed Discryptor.  Simply mount by entering the correct password, then Decrypt.  The process took just as long to encrypt at about 10 hours, but once done everything worked great. Put back in laptop and all was well.  I returned the laptop to the user and told them to upgrade the Windows 8 Pro so they could use Bitlocker.  That's what I'm going to recommend with Windows 8 until I come up with alternatives that I can test in a virtual environment.

Yes I did end up creating a live boot cd as noted above, but I didn't do that until after it was encrypted and I did it with my other computer.  I'm assuming, without looking hard at all, that the live boot cd is directly connected with the specific encryption process, but I'm not sure.  When I booted to the CD it said the password was incorrect, (which I thoroughly made sure I was entering it in correctly).

So this issue has been solved. Just updating for anyone else who might be searching.  Thank you JohnC for all your help.  It is much appreciated.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,596 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2014 - 08:26 AM

Thanks for this update. Glad you got it fixed and it's good to know that you were able to decrypt by connecting to another computer. I am sure this will help people who have had the same issue.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users