Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 Not Genuine - Build 7601 - Virus?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 MrDeath126

MrDeath126

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:09 PM

Posted 03 July 2014 - 08:37 AM

First of all please note a couple of things, I'm at work currently so I can't get specifics. Also, I've been trying to troubleshoot it over the phone, I've been at work a lot and I've only had ten minutes to mess with it. Lastly, I'm not bad with computers but I rarely have to troubleshoot issues so you may need to be detailed about how or what you're trying to tell me what to do.

With that said here's what I know:

I turned the computer off to go on vacation, come back and immediately went to work and my Fiancee got on but it was having all sorts of problems. I don't believe she was able to turn on the computer to mess with it, so I doubt she did it that day and it was working perfectly before I left. I doubt anyone messed with my computer while gone though, so it may have been dormant until it was shut down and restarted.

The problems I know of consist of:

Windows Startup errors, and failure to repair the startup.

Checkdisk running and saying certain files were unreadable.

Getting to a black screen with the mouse and nothing more before erroring out and shutting down.

After troubleshooting over the phone we got to this stage:

Computer boots up normally, but extremely slow.

Black background with the watermark in the bottom right saying it's not genuine.

Again, extremely extremely slow.

Security Essentials won't run, errors out.

System Restore doesn't have any restore points (which it should) and errors out when going into the menu anyways.

Running any program freezes everything.

Control - Alt - Del error after pressing it, the system said it didn't recognize it (or something like that)

My assumption is that there's a virus, not sure when or how, but that's all I can think of.

I can access the internet but extremely slowly, hence why I'm asking and typing this on my work computer.

Any steps and advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Death

EDIT: I failed to mention this. I'm using Windows 7 64 bit, originally I had Windows 8 64 bit but I downgraded (Wasn't a fan after continued use), however the problem comes in to play as I no longer know where my Windows 8 64 bit, or either of my Windows 7 disks are. So if it involves any of the installation disks to fix the problem then please notify me of that in your response, if need be I can find and buy an installation disk cheap from a retailer as I don't need another product key.

Edited by MrDeath126, 03 July 2014 - 11:51 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 PM

Posted 03 July 2014 - 10:27 AM

Try downloading Malwarebytes and running it.  Also try booting to Safe Mode and see if Security Essentials will run.  See how the performance is in Safe Mode.  You may need to go to the Startup tab of MSCONFIG and disable some of the tasks that're being started automatically when you boot up.  You can uncheck anything there except Security Essentials.  Note: Avoid the other tabs in MSCONFIG.

With the not genuine message, you may have to call Microsoft to resolve the problem.  Try activating again; if it fails, you should get a phone no. you can call.

Good luck.

Edited by wpgwpg, 03 July 2014 - 10:30 AM.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#3 MalwareAbort

MalwareAbort

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2014 - 10:44 AM

In addition before running a scan with malwarebytes I always recommend to check this option in settings:

bUAggqh.jpg

Under Detection Options Check Scan for Rootkits (Malwarebytes keeps this off by default)

"Imagine a world without malware"

#4 MrDeath126

MrDeath126
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2014 - 10:58 AM

Great, thanks for the replies. I'll be sure to do this when I get home later. However, any other replies to this topic with tips, tricks, suggestions, advice, or anything of the sort are very welcome. Just in case it doesn't work or it could be something else.

Thanks,

Death

#5 MrDeath126

MrDeath126
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2014 - 07:51 AM

Okay so I ran Malwarebytes and it picked up like ten non-malware items, and I changed the startup stuff in MSCONFIG but neither of those helped. I attempted to navigate to this website on the computer but it takes ten minutes to open any program. Although, I no longer get the not genuine error.

But when I try to run a program I get this error:

The instruction at 0x000007FEFE2DBB80 referenced memory at 0x000007FEFE2DBB80. The required data was not placed into memory because of an I/O error status of 0xc0000185.

I cannot guarantee that the error codes are always the same but that's the message I've been given, also Microsoft help and support continuously crashes. It never fully loads.

Thanks,
Death

EDIT: I reviewed my installed programs to see if anything was off, they all seemed normal except two days before I left for vacation there was an AVG Secure Search installed that I didn't install. So I removed it.

Also, a new error:
SystemPropertiesAdvanced.exe - Bad Image
C:\Windows\system32\SYSDM.CPL is either not designed to run on windows or it contains an error.. Then it tells me to try reinstalling it.

Edited by MrDeath126, 04 July 2014 - 08:09 AM.

#6 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2014 - 11:03 AM

You've got some corrupt system files, and may be getting errors on your hard drive.  I'd run SFC and chkdsk.  For SFC click Start and type CMD in the search box, then right-click CMD.EXE and click Run as administrator.  From the command prompt type sfc /scannow.  For chkdsk, check the box to have it scan for and attempt repair of bad sectors.  

Were you able to run Security Essentials from Safe Mode?

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#7 MrDeath126

MrDeath126
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2014 - 12:35 PM

Tried SFC, it got to 37% then stopped saying it couldn't be read or something. I always had the ability to run Security Essentials but it stops and shuts down part of the way in; trying it in safe nose for full scan now though. I've run chkdsk once before already and it told me some files were unreadable, but I haven't tried it again since. It's going to take a while to scan and today is a holiday so I won't be able to mess with it again til sometime tonight but I'm going to try to finish the scan then chkdsk then try SFC again and if that works then chkdsk one more time and then I'll test the entire computer and get back to you.

Again, thanks for the help,
Death

#8 MrDeath126

MrDeath126
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2014 - 01:25 PM

I solved this but didn't want to leave it unanswered for anyone who may be encountering similar issues.

As it turns out, my hard drive was in the stages of pre-failure and ended up corrupting my system files for Windows 7, so I had to purchase a new 2 TB WD Cavier Black hard drive and reload Windows 7 on it. Pretty simple, but the hard drive isn't exactly cheap.. Oh well, just glad to be up and running again.

Thanks for your help all!

- Death

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users