Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

W8 Can't access log-in, can't restore, Help!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 TechieWalkie

TechieWalkie

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 PM

Posted 03 July 2014 - 05:13 AM

Good afternoon,
I'm in a bit of a pickle with WIndows 8, and I very much need help to fix things and get my computer working again. Thank you in advance for your time and expertise !
The problem : my log-in account on my Windows 8 VAIO laptop wasn't Administrator, and therefore I couldn't do certain actions needing Admin status. Changing the type of my account in the Control Panel was a disabled option.
To try and fix it, I decided to log in Safe mode, having read that it automatically activates the Admin account. I used the DOS command "shutdown /r /o". When the computer restarted, the only account displayed was "Administrator", which gave me Admin status and all was well. Except that I was unable to log back to my default visitor account with all my files, and wasn't able to change its type as it wasn't displayed in the control panel.
I decided to restore the computer in the Repare Menu ("Shift + restart") using a save point (knowing that I make automatic ones often) but there is shown to be none created. Adding to that, I can no longer go in the Administrator account, it is saying that the account has been deleted. I tried to retrieve my files from the repair menu, but the program doesn't work, thus restoring the computer to factory settings would cause me to lose very important data.
Does anybody know how I could fix the situation and get my laptop running again in my old account ? Please and thank you very much in advance !

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TechieWalkie

TechieWalkie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2014 - 03:44 AM

Edit : Activating Safe Mode, I can log in the Admin Account, but it doesn't help much. My usual account isn't displayed, still no Restore points are shown, and restarting the computer gets me back to the same sticky situation. I am getting a bit desperate about my files.

#3 HairCut

HairCut

• Members
  • 235 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 PM

Posted 05 July 2014 - 03:15 PM

Windows 8 or 8.1?

When you say "My usual account isn't displayed" Do you mean you can't see it when you click C: Users using the Administrator account?

Edited by HairCut, 05 July 2014 - 03:15 PM.

#4 HairCut

HairCut

• Members
  • 235 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2014 - 04:14 PM

When you are logged in as Administrator or any other account in Windows 8.1 you can go to the the Start page and click on your account name at the top right and choose from a list of other accounts.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/user-accounts-faq#1TC=windows-8

#5 HairCut

HairCut

• Members
  • 235 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2014 - 05:13 PM

Having re-read your posts and having read this:

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Recovery-Reply-Only/How-do-you-restore-a-deleted-user-account/td-p/722293

Did your account get deleted by accident?

Anyway, this might help: https://www.piriform.com/recuva

It finds recently deleted files and therefore might find the files from your missing account although by now you may have overwritten many files.

I would be removing your hard drive and putting it in a disk caddy so that I can run recuva from a different computer. This would avoid overwriting more accidentally deleted files.

#6 TechieWalkie

TechieWalkie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2014 - 12:23 AM

Hi !
Thank you for answering ! I managed to fix things now, and it wasn't easy.
What happened was a bit mysterious. Upon activating the admin account, the user account wasn't displayed anywhere. Not on the log-on menu, not listed on the DOS using the command "net user", nor on the "net localgroup Users". But the files were still all there on the hard drive, which I managed to access in C:/Users/nameofmypreviousaccount, so I daresay nothing was deleted.
I can't say I am very happy with WIn8 broken logic or automatized repair that does nothing (unable, for instance, to restore on my previous points), but at least I know have a working admin account with all my files, and merely had to re-install the softwares.
Still, thank you very much for your time and suggestions, have a good day !

#7 HairCut

HairCut

• Members
  • 235 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2014 - 04:18 AM

Great to hear you found your user files. Can I recommend that you don't use ~the~ Administrator account for every day computing? Instead, you can create another account either Ordinary or Administrator (mine is Administrator) and re-hide your Administrator account. In that way you always have a clean and powerful Administrator account to fall back on should things go wrong.

Regard this issue of disappearing Windows 8 User accounts it is a real head scratcher but Microsoft have made many strange decisions on the behaviour of Windows 8 which only become apparent when using it. I was having trouble finding my hidden Admin account and it turns out it's because I have no password on my every day Administrator account. When I rebooted expecting to see a list of available accounts Windows 8.1 decided instead I needed to be bounced straight into my account. I'm learning :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users