Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cool! I just installed xfce into mint17

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 bmike1

bmike1

• Members
  • 596 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:40 AM

Posted 03 July 2014 - 02:44 AM

I like it! And, I downloaded QUpZilla and Thunar and they are good enough for me. In fact I don't notice any difference. Well, in thunar mounted drives are bright and unmounted ones are dim.

Edited by bmike1, 03 July 2014 - 02:47 AM.

A/V Software? I don't need A/V software. I've run Linux since '98 w/o A/V software and have never had a virus. I never even had a firewall until '01 when I began to get routers with firewalls pre installed. With Linux if a vulnerability is detected a fix is quickly found and then upon your next update the vulnerability is patched.  If you must worry about viruses  on a Linux system only worry about them in the sense that you can infect a windows user. I recommend Linux Mint or, if you need a lighter weight operating system that fits on a cd, MX14 or AntiX.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Winterland

Winterland

• Members
  • 980 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:40 AM

Posted 03 July 2014 - 08:07 AM

that's awesome!

*wait*

I have no idea what you're saying... :lol:

Well, congrats anyhow!

Winterland - still struggling with trying to figure out how to uninstall / re-install FF in Mint....

Photobucket removed my cool flag - idiots!

Every calculation based on experience elsewhere fails in New Mexico.

#3 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,876 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:40 AM

Posted 05 July 2014 - 04:30 AM

Hi bmike1.

Yes I have been doing that of late, While the OS takes longer to boot than say a puppy and some things do not launch as fast as say puppy, I have found it is a lot more novice friendly to install a full Debian or Ubuntu or Linux Mint 17 and use LXDE or  XFCE.

#4 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,659 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:40 PM

Posted 07 July 2014 - 08:59 PM

Hi bmike1.

Yes I have been doing that of late, While the OS takes longer to boot than say a puppy and some things do not launch as fast as say puppy, I have found it is a lot more novice friendly to install a full Debian or Ubuntu or Linux Mint 17 and use LXDE or  XFCE.

Why is this Nick?  I'll have to read up on how I change my desktop.  From what I understand a person can switch from one to the other?

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#5 Winterland

Winterland

• Members
  • 980 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2014 - 09:10 AM

I made my snarky remark before I realized I wanted to do the same thing.    :whistle:

Been really frustrated my what ever default "look" that my MATE has and was frustrated by how many things I couldn't tweak and then, this morning, whilst stumbling around the Linux Mint Forums (which are not as easy on the eyes as BC) I discovered that I can install different DEs on my Mint install.

Just have to figure out how to do it.

Care to share your command line secrets?

Winterland

#6 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,876 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2014 - 05:15 PM

I discovered that I can install different DEs on my Mint install.

Just have to figure out how to do it.

Easy. If for example you  want LXDE, Open your Software manager search for LXDE and install it, Reboot your pc selecting LXDE as your DE and away you go.

Or

http://youtu.be/dUWR7-Vs9lU

Edited by NickAu1, 09 July 2014 - 06:08 AM.

#7 bmike1

bmike1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 596 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2014 - 08:16 PM

you don't need to reboot. Just logout and log in again. I'm not sure how YOU will choose the different DE (desktop environment) but at the login screen for mine there is the section that you input user name and in the upper right corner of that section you click the icon that is there and select the desired DE.

A/V Software? I don't need A/V software. I've run Linux since '98 w/o A/V software and have never had a virus. I never even had a firewall until '01 when I began to get routers with firewalls pre installed. With Linux if a vulnerability is detected a fix is quickly found and then upon your next update the vulnerability is patched.  If you must worry about viruses  on a Linux system only worry about them in the sense that you can infect a windows user. I recommend Linux Mint or, if you need a lighter weight operating system that fits on a cd, MX14 or AntiX.

#8 bmike1

bmike1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 596 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2014 - 08:55 PM

I don't know about other people but the Software Manager has NEVER worked for me. The package manager (synaptic) works just fine.

#9 Winterland

Winterland

• Members
  • 980 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2014 - 05:08 AM

wow! wow! and one more wow for goodness!

@NickAu1 - that worked like a charm. I didn't even watch the video, because I've seen/read so many of your posts, I thought, "eh, what the heck.." followed your instructions, installed and then rebooted.

As bmike1 suggested, I did try to just log out and then log back in to see what I would see, but my login screen did not look any different and did not appear to have any different options, so I rebooted and again, my login screen did not have any additional options, so I logged in and *poof* it went directly to the LXDE, which I am loving!

Couple of questions:

1) how would I go about going back to my other desktop?  << I'm actually not eager to do this, as I really did not like the overall "feel" of it at all, but was just wondering.

2) in the OP, bmike1 talked about installing xfce. Am I able to install and try out that DE in the same manner as I installed LXDE

You two really have just changed the timbre of my whole day for the better. I was getting rather frustrated at what I couldn't do with this Mint install and now it seems like I've just peeled back the first layer of so many.

Many thanks!

Winterland

#10 bmike1

bmike1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 596 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2014 - 05:28 AM

the best way to find a way to install a DE you want is to google "install <desired environment>" and to do what it tells you to.

Sorry my instructions were wrong. I had no experience with this but that is the way things are supposed to work with Linux. As for going back to another DE you are 'supposed' to just need to clikck that lambda and choose what you want and it willl load but if that doesn't work reinstall it.

#11 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,876 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2014 - 05:59 AM

In the top right corner of your log in screen, Where you put the password in there should be a little lx symboy click that it will give you other desktops options.

@NickAu1 - that worked like a charm. I didn't even watch the video, because I've seen/read so many of your posts, I thought, "eh, what the heck.." followed your instructions, installed and then rebooted.

You do know you can change anything with Linux? Just to start.

File managers For Linux | Linux.com

It's Your Choice: The Top 10 Linux Desktop Environments

Check out compiz.
Compiz Fusion: A Quick Demonstration - YouTube

Compiz Home KDE - Plasma Desktop
You Like my desktop? Well There is a great start.

As they say in the classic's " I got the power i'm going to bleeping eye candy this b*tch up"

Edited by NickAu1, 09 July 2014 - 06:10 AM.

#12 Winterland

Winterland

• Members
  • 980 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2014 - 08:00 AM

In the top right corner of your log in screen, Where you put the password in there should be a little lx symboy click that it will give you other desktops options.

As they say in the classic's " I got the power i'm going to bleeping eye candy this b*tch up"

Well, I changed my login screen as soon as I installed this Mint but yeah, I found the little Lambda symbol and now when I click on it I get the full slew of options:

• Last
  • Run Xclient script
  • LXDE
  • MATE
  • Openbox
  • Xfce Session

It always asks, after I've selected a flavor, if I would like to make it the Default. I keep saying "no" for now.

Going to give several DEs a spin before I decide, although as I mentioned in my post, I am *loving* the LXDE and it runs ridiculously fast on my spiffy machine. Also want to test drive Openbox, since I've never even heard of it.

Tried the Xfce and didn't like the look. I know when folks have reached this point, it's just a personal preference, so please if there's anybody out there that's offended, please don't be. It just doesn't seem to be my cup of tea.

As for the classics, I don't believe I've heard that song, "...going to bleeping eye candy this b*tch up" but I'll look it up on YouTube.  :lol:

Next up:

• Find out why Linux Firefox is missing some fonts that I have on my Windows-side. I am not liking the way webpages are being rendered when I do my surfing.

• What I can do to customize my cursor/pointer.

with much respect & gratitude,

Winterland

#13 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,659 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2014 - 07:36 PM

What if I don't have a login screen upon start-up, how would I choose then if I want to go back?

Winterland, you get all these choices without even Installing them? or are you getting choices from all that you have installed?

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#14 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,659 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2014 - 08:20 PM

Aw snap! I am lost again lol.  I installed lxde to take for a spin, then I wanted to take a look at xfce and installed that.  Now when I reboot I am back into lxde, no change.  I suppose I am not doing something right again. Now i tried to Uninstall lxde in Software Manager when "View Installed Packages" was checked but no lxde to "Remove".  Now I checked "Installed Packages" also and Removed lxde whew!  I will reboot now and see what happens. 

Edited by pcpunk, 09 July 2014 - 08:26 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#15 Winterland

Winterland

• Members
  • 980 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2014 - 11:17 AM

What if I don't have a login screen upon start-up, how would I choose then if I want to go back?

Winterland, you get all these choices without even Installing them? or are you getting choices from all that you have installed?

Hey there pcpunk, sorry for the delay in getting back to you, had a *rough* day at work yesterday and am just now coming up for air.

I see (from your sig) that you're running Mint 17 MATE. When you start up your machine and you select Mint, does it go directly to your MATE desktop? If so, you should - without having to install anything - have an option to create a login window. If you can't find it, I can try to post some screen shots of what mine looks like and see if that helps.

Please let me know if you want / need some screen shots.

As for my choices, yes, I now get them *after* I installed both xfce and LXDE. I simply followed Nick's simple advice:

"Open your Software manager search for LXDE and install it, and then Reboot"

Hope that helps.

I'm going to try to tweak some photos of my login window and choices and will be back later.

Winterland

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users