Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trying to track down malware files

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Parselmouth

Parselmouth

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:31 AM

Posted 03 July 2014 - 02:26 AM

My Norton security keeps giving me a message that I have two Trojans on my system that can't be removed automatically.  I had a problem with Norton and my Windows Live Mail client where Norton was preventing me from downloading the emails and the only way to get them was to switch off the virus protection. Not a good idea, clearly, as the program got viruses and crashed.

The two trojans are supposedly in a recovered file. The path is c:\users\my name\appdata\local\microsoft\windows live mail\storage folders (2)\recovered items (1)\05-26-2014 2f\my ISP\file number 

It has taken a while for me to find a way to naviigate to this file, but having eventually got into the folder, the files cannot be located. 

The virus file names are : disp_7546434787914325.doc.exe

Can someone please tell me how to locate them, how to get rid of them, or if they are a false positive, how to get rid of the pesky message? many thanks

Am running Windows 8.1 on Lenovo k430 desktop

Processor: Intel core i7-3770

16Gb RAM, 64 bit

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 PM

Posted 03 July 2014 - 03:14 PM

Welcome,

Have you cleared all of your caches, temp files and recycle bin? Are your OS and NIS up to date?

What does NIS say about the files when you run a scan?

Thanks

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 scags

scags

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 PM

Posted 03 July 2014 - 03:47 PM

Try downloading malwarebytes, run a full scan and see if it can detect and delete those files.  If not try enable viewing of hidden files and folders.

Edited by scags, 03 July 2014 - 03:50 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users