Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

unable to install windows 8 on lenovo b590 with a new harddisk

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 gotsaed

gotsaed

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:05 AM

Posted 03 July 2014 - 01:54 AM

my harddisk went dead (click-click) so i took one from another laptop and formatted. got a boxed win 8 but i can't install. Secure boot is off - I can access the bios but when i boot up all i get is a blinking cursor and black screen. the PC came originally  with an oem install. I think the gpt table is missing (or something).

Edited by gotsaed, 03 July 2014 - 01:55 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 AM

Posted 03 July 2014 - 03:16 PM

Have you tried to format the drive as part of the install? What is the HDD size?

Keep us posted

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 gotsaed

gotsaed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2014 - 03:59 PM

"so i took one from another laptop and formatted"  I formatted before i put it in the laptop. the  size is 230 GB

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,668 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:05 AM

Posted 03 July 2014 - 04:36 PM

Disable anything call FastBoot or RapidStart in BIOS. Does tapping F12 at boot give you a boot device menu?

#5 gotsaed

gotsaed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2014 - 11:19 PM

I have disabled quickstart, it is diagnostic now. F12 gives me my in this order - atapi cd 1- Ata hdd - pci lan 

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,668 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2014 - 08:38 AM

Open the CD/DVD and instert your OS install disk. Then quickly tap F12 and select atapi cd 1 <enter>. Enable Secure Boot again and UEFI if you enabled legacy mode in BIOS. You may not get to tap F12 in time before the computer boots. If that happens just power off and reboot or restart and tap F12.

Depending how you formatted, you may have to let Windows 8 partition and format the disk to GPT if you have UEFI.

#7 gotsaed

gotsaed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2014 - 11:41 PM

Open the CD/DVD and instert your OS install disk. Then quickly tap F12 and select atapi cd 1 <enter>. Enable Secure Boot again and UEFI if you enabled legacy mode in BIOS. You may not get to tap F12 in time before the computer boots. If that happens just power off and reboot or restart and tap F12.

Depending how you formatted, you may have to let Windows 8 partition and format the disk to GPT if you have UEFI.

IT WORKED - IT REALLY WORKED  windows 8 is now running - thank you very much :thumbup2:

one last question - can i turn on os optimized defaults - i don't know if it booted with uefi or legacy

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,668 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2014 - 11:46 AM

Glad you got it to work. I am not sure about optimized defaults. If SecureBoot is enabled then UEFI is enabled. See the following link for determining if you booted UEFI or Legacy. http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/29504-bios-mode-see-if-windows-boot-uefi-legacy-mode.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users