Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Missing ntfs.sys, isapnp.sys, pci.sys etc. problems

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 SemiKiler

SemiKiler

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 PM

Posted 03 July 2014 - 12:44 AM

Hello I have a desktop PC with Windows XP PRO that I just fixed after a few years of it not working, it would power on but wouldn't display anything and would also not beep on start up. I put in a new video card and changed the CMOS battery. Computer turns on and displays on a monitor. My problem is I get to "choose a mode to have windows start in" and it doesn't matter what mode I choose I always get the same couple of results. Missing ntfs.sys file, missing isapnp.sys, missing pci.sys and that I need to insert the original setup CD-ROM to possibly repair and select 'r' at the first screen to start repair. I try to do this and every single time I never even can get into the start repair screen. I have changed the boot order multiple times. Have tried almost every combination.

Does anyone have any ideas of what could possibly be going on? If you have any questions for me that could help you help me please let me hear them!! Thank you in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,549 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2014 - 10:14 AM

System manufacturer and model?

Louis

#3 SemiKiler

SemiKiler
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2014 - 03:25 AM

It is a custom built computer.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,549 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2014 - 10:49 AM

Motherboard manufacturer and model?

How much RAM installed?

How much free space on Windows partition...total size of hard drive?

Do you have the Genuine XP Pro install CD?

Louis

#5 SemiKiler

SemiKiler
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2014 - 06:42 PM

ASUS a7n8x deluxe motherboard

believe i have 512 mb ram installed

free space on windows partition? unsure....total size 120gb

Genuine XP pro is installed however I have since lost the CD....

Okay, well I have both good and bad news. I took my hard drive with XP pro on it and hooked it up to a working computer. I was able to reformat my drive using the NTSF quick format which turned out just fine in my friends computer. Windows XP pro SP2 booted up perfectly. Now here is where I ran into some trouble. I figured that since windows started up just fine in my friends computer that it ought to work in mine, the computer that the hard drive originally came from. I hook everything up correctly and it looks like it is going to start up just fine and I will finally have my beloved computer back after a few years of being decommissioned ... until I reach this screen. "Windows could not start because of an error in the software. Please report this problem as : load needed DLLs for kernal. Please contact your support person to report this problem."
20140705_121605.jpg
This is the screen I get after the computer verifies the DMI pool data

After  I had this issue I decided to remove the hard drive from my computer and place it back into the working PC that installed XP Pro to see if it would start up correctly. I bet you could never guess what happened. The Microsoft Windows XP PRO OS booted up just fine with no issues what so ever.  Now at this point in time, I am wondering if it could  be a still a hardware issue, or could it even be I need to flash the BIOs because the CMOS battery in my motherboard was dead for quite some time? Does anyone else have any ideas of what to try? Thank you!!

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,218 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:59 PM

Posted 10 July 2014 - 08:28 AM

If you installed XP on your friend computer it will not boot on another computer with different hardware. That's why it's complaining of dll's that are missing. If your friends computer is not extactly the same as yours, there is no chance XP will boot.

What I would try doing is do the quick format in your friends computer and see if you can finish the install on your computer. It's possible your optical drive is bad. Does this motherboard allow booting from a USB flash drive? If it does, you can use Imgburn to read an iso file from the CD and then use that iso file with Rufus to create a bootable USB drive.

Edit: I download the manual for the motherboard but it looks like it does not support boot from USB but it's possible to get around that. Does the computer have a floppy drive and do you have a spare floppy?

#7 SemiKiler

SemiKiler
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2014 - 05:55 PM

Yes I do have a floppy drive in my computer.  It also works. I will try your other idea while I wait for your response on the floppy. Thank you!

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,218 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:59 PM

Posted 10 July 2014 - 06:22 PM

If the computer does not boot to a USB, download Plop boot manager. In the zip folder is a img file that you can write to a floppy drive.

plpbt-5.0.14.zip  is the file you want. Unzip to a folder on the desktop. In the folder is a plpbt.img file, You do not need any other file. Download Rawwrite for Windows. In an admin account write the img file to a floppy. It says it works on XP so hopefully it will work on windows 7

rawwrite.png

Attach the USB flash drive that you created with Rufus. Boot the floppy with Plop. At the menu screen select USB

http://www.plop.at/images/bootmanagerv5/bootmngr5_1.jpg

The computer should boot from the USB flash drive.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users