Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Receiving a client computer

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 KJackson50

KJackson50

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:20 PM

Posted 02 July 2014 - 11:31 PM

Hey guys,

Wasn't sure if this was the right place to put this. I was wondering what are some good steps for working with a clients computer from receiving it to completing the fix. Here are the steps I currently do. Just want to put out there that I'm not asking HOW to troubleshoot, just a good process that can be repeated on every machine I work on. Thanks.

1.Make a backup and image of the system

2. Make sure to create a restore point

3. Run a system check (usually a stress test) to get a general idea of any other issues going on with the system

4. Diagnose and fix the issue wanting to be fixed

5. Test the system again before giving it back to the client

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 KJackson50

KJackson50
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2014 - 11:47 AM

bump

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,448 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:20 PM

Posted 05 July 2014 - 11:07 AM

Looks like you got everything covered especially the system image backup.

I'm sure you do this but I would add

Memory test  -  memtest+

Hard drive diagnostic - Seatools for Dos

Might want to check out this fee e-book with troubleshooting flowcharts. May be a little dated but it should help with the diagnosis step.

http://www.fonerbooks.com/computer_repair_with_diagnostic_flowcharts.pdf

#4 KJackson50

KJackson50
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2014 - 12:23 PM

I really appreciate the link thanks! Looks like the full pdf is only 9.95 which isn't bad. We has techs like to think we know it all, but there are always times where an issues stump us and a map is not a bad idea lol. Have you purchased the full pdf?

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,448 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:20 PM

Posted 05 July 2014 - 12:28 PM

Sorry, no. I have not purchased the full ebook. The reviews on amazon seem to indicate it is a good book.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users