Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to put files onto external hard drive

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 UmbraVGG

UmbraVGG

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:57 PM

Posted 02 July 2014 - 09:13 PM

Starting today, I am unable to put any files onto my Hitachi 1TB external hard drive. *Note I have about 550GB of free space. I'm able to view files on the drive, but when I try to put anything onto it I get an error message as seen here: tinypic.com/r/2w67678/8.

So I thought, okay! Maybe I can only read & not write on the permissions. All but normal Users have full access. Even though I am on the admin account, I thought, maybe something is up. So I try to give Users full permissions and this error occurs: tinypic.com/r/2uxu0jt/8. Note that this occurs with a lot of files and folders, not just this one.

So then I looked up the issue for cyclic redunancy checks. And I used both chkdsk e: /f and chkdsk e: f/ r/. For both I get the following message:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.3.9600]
© 2013 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Windows\system32> chkdsk E: /f /r
The type of the file system is NTFS.
Volume label is Alpha Drive.

Stage 1: Examining basic file system structure ...

22784 file records processed.

File verification completed.

0 large file records processed.

0 bad file records processed.

Stage 2: Examining file name linkage ...

Correcting error in index $I30 for file 4353.
CHKDSK discovered free space marked as allocated in the bitmap for index $I30 fo
r file 4353.

So I google THAT error. At this point in time, I have no idea what is wrong with my external hard drive or what I am doing wrong. Everything tells me to do a "chkdsk" but it hasn't done me any good. What can I do to gain full access to my external hard drive? I'm getting desperate as everything I try ends in failure.

Edited by UmbraVGG, 02 July 2014 - 09:15 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 PM

Posted 03 July 2014 - 04:04 AM

Do you have the TinyPic imaging program on the PC? If so, try uninstall/re-install of that program (after backing up the images of course).

#3 HairCut

HairCut

• Members
  • 235 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:57 PM

Posted 03 July 2014 - 11:06 AM

That first error message says it is unable to read the source. In the context of your post that would mean the image on your computer not on the external drive. Maybe you should be using chkdsk your C: drive or the drive where your images are stored.

If it only started today though I'd use system restore.

#4 UmbraVGG

UmbraVGG
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:57 PM

Posted 03 July 2014 - 11:31 AM

Do you have the TinyPic imaging program on the PC? If so, try uninstall/re-install of that program (after backing up the images of course).

No, no I don't. I simply used the site in order to upload the image of my error. I have my school documents on the external hard drive.

That first error message says it is unable to read the source. In the context of your post that would mean the image on your computer not on the external drive. Maybe you should be using chkdsk your C: drive or the drive where your images are stored.

If it only started today though I'd use system restore.

I am able to open the files on my C: drive. Its only when I try to copy them to my external hard drive that I get an error. I'm able to view files on both the drive and the external hard drive, its only when I drag them to the external hard drive do I get an error. I can also take files from my external hard drive and copy them to my C: drive. Its only when I take any & all files from my C: drive and try to copy them to my external hard drive

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,017 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 PM

Posted 03 July 2014 - 12:12 PM

Do you still get CRC errors if you attach the drive to a different USB port?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users