Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Samsung 256G 840 Pro install questions

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,124 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 PM

Posted 02 July 2014 - 08:20 PM

Just snagged a very good deal on an 840 Pro, I intend on putting it in my Toshiba C855-5247 laptop.  Won't be in my hands for several days but would like to lay the ground work for the swap.  I intend to use the Samsung migration software to mirror my full content onto the new drive, I do have concerns about getting ACHI setup after the swap.  I realize it would be easier to do a clean install but I want to keep my factory recovery partition, once up and running correctly I would like to use the factory recovery to start off fresh.  I am not sure if that will open a can of worms or not.  Input highly appreciated!

Edited by OldPhil, 03 July 2014 - 01:06 PM.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:07 PM

Posted 02 July 2014 - 09:38 PM

Which version of Windows are you running?

I believe new versions of Windows are better about turning on/off ACHI as I believe they install the ACHI driver by default. That was NOT the case with Windows XP. If you did not install the ACHI drivers PRIOR to installing Windows XP, then it was a real pain to turn on ACHI. The easiest way was to re-install Windows XP and load the ACHI drivers during the Windows XP install (typically by having to use a floppy disk), but I believe there were work arounds.

I encountered this when I wanted to try to setup two drives in RAID 1 using the ACHI chipset on my desktop motherboard (there was a second Gigabyte RAID chipset that I was able to setup fine…but I had wanted to have two RAID 1 arrays if possible).

#3 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 AM

Posted 02 July 2014 - 09:49 PM

I presume the factory recovery is a seperate partition meaning, you will only be able to move the OS over, not the other partition unfortunately. 

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#4 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2014 - 12:33 AM

I presume the factory recovery is a seperate partition meaning, you will only be able to move the OS over, not the other partition unfortunately.

Some cloning programs will include recovery partitions. It can also depend on how the recovery partition is created/accessed/etc.

I have used Acronis True Image to clone the drive of an HP computer and it included the recovery partition.

I will also note that most computers these days that only ship with recovery partitions usually offer some way to create recovery CD/DVDs (i.e. in case your hard drive crashes). Usually, those recovery CD/DVD discs that are created will create a recovery partition on a blank hard drive when they are used. I know this is the case for some HP computers.

#5 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,124 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2014 - 05:28 AM

Thanks for the replies, I will have to look into Samsung migration software to see if it will copy the entire contents, never realized there was an issue getting the recovery along with everything else.

#6 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2014 - 07:39 AM

Don't forget if you clone, you may have to disable defrag and enable TRIM.

Here are commands for TRIM: http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=86403

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#7 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2014 - 01:24 PM

FWIW, if worst come to worst, you likely can order recovery discs from Toshiba.

And if absolute worst comes to worst, you could buy a new license for Windows. Certainly not the most desirable option.

Frankly, I would be surprised if you could not find some cloning software that does what you need it to do. As I said, I am 99% sure that True Image will do it…the only exception is if Toshiba does something weird with the recovery partition, which frankly I doubt.

#8 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,124 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2014 - 03:02 PM

Thanks guys for the added input, I poked around reading about Samsung's Magician.  According to what I read it allows you to select the partitions you want, so it looks as if I will be good to go.  I think I will still have to deal with AHCI, I have found a reg fix that works looks like the project will keep me busy. 

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,895 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2014 - 07:16 PM

Well...the simple approach that I would take...clone the existing drive...install the new drive as the boot drive, then use the factory-restore-to-defaults function for a clean start.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 03 July 2014 - 07:17 PM.

#10 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,124 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2014 - 09:59 PM

Louis did you noticed the last couple of sentences in the first post, that is what I am after.  I like having the recovery for travel, never had an issue But!

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,895 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2014 - 10:35 AM

A clone of a hard drive...is an exact copy.  If current hard drive has a recovery partition...it will be copied.  It's just another partition on a hard drive.

What am I missing?

Louis

#12 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,124 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2014 - 04:06 PM

Louis to answer your question there were instances where Magician would not copy some partitions, it was more prevalent on Samsung laptops.  I also had concerns about AHCI, but thought if anything fails no harm the HDD would still be intact.  Turns out this Toshiba LT has to be the simplest SSD setup, I checked the BIOS for ACHI no such setting.  No drive settings what soever just says HDD/SSD, did the migration then started checking all the normal SSD tweaks.  Defrag was disabled, trim was enabled, had to disable super fetch and pre fetch Magician fixes some as it does the migration.  All is well running almost as fast as my tower, 33 seconds a ton better the about 3 minutes!!!!!

#13 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,124 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2014 - 06:12 AM

Having had time to play with this thing a few days the swap was "SO" worth it, things no longer load they pop on screen.  While open I was able to to check for dust bunnies and also pop in a new battery, it also is running a little cooler another plus.  I may do the swap on my Acer that I use for travel, make it more shock proof.

#14 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2014 - 07:32 AM

I can't wait until ssd's are 4TB and larger. Sandisk is working on 8TB and 16TB drives. This will be enterprise priced SAS drives but I can't imagine consumer level large drives will be far behind. The Optimus MAX is the name of their large 4TB drive currently and the plan larger in the near future. They us eMLC so the cost will be way beyond me but hopefully MLC and TLC large capacities are released. The future with SSD's looks amazing! I have a feeling we will see single Petabyte drives within the next 10 years or possibly less.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users