Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Were You 1 of the 698,003?

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 Stolen

Stolen

• Members
  • 669 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:53 AM

Posted 02 July 2014 - 05:25 PM

Were You 1 of the 698,003?
Facebook Human Subject Experiment

July 2, 2014 // 4:25 PM CDT

FB_algorithm.jpg

Illustration of Facebook algorithm

Facebook conducted “emotion experiments” on almost 700,000 users without their consent or knowledge for one week in 2012 by intentionally trying to make users feel happy or sad through filtering their content. The details of the experiments came to light in the last few days after the initial report was published. 

Facebook discovered it can make users feel happier or sadder by manipulating news feeds. In the report, terms such as “emotional contagion” were coined as part of the experiment that involved changing users' content which Facebook deliberately slanted either positively or negatively. 

The experiment raises both ethical and legal concerns. Many lawyers, activists and politicians are protesting including members of the British Commons who are calling upon legislation to protect people from the ability of Facebook to manipulate what people think.

Manipulation of thought, emotion and opinion by altering data such as news has implications that could mean the ability to sway elections, incite people or incidents, or simply boost advertising revenue. 

When the largest social media site in the world is able to conduct experiments on humans and manipulate content and thought without the knowledge and consent of the subjects (its users), it has even far-wider implications. 

Were you 1 of the 698,003 subjects? Unfortunately, you will not know as you pretty much agreed to anything Facebook decides to do when you signed up for the service.

Further Reading

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:53 AM

Posted 02 July 2014 - 07:11 PM

Not me.  I keep far far away from Facebook and all the other social networking sites.  The potential for problems like this, identity theft, and other security problems is very scary to me.  It might be fun for some, but I'll stick to these forums where I can use an alias and not give away much personal info.  If I need to communicate with someone via the computer, I'm very happy to use email.  I might be a stick in the mud to some, but if so, I'm a SECURE one who hasn't had any security problems.   :thumbup2:

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#3 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 AM

Posted 02 July 2014 - 07:31 PM

I do not believe i was one of them because in their experiment, they wanted to see where you posted something positively or negatively although i never posted anything during the experiment period. 

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#4 Offset

Offset

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 PM

Posted 02 July 2014 - 08:28 PM

I should start saving copies of my newsfeed everyday so that if something like this emerges in the future I can just go through and data mine and say with confidence, "yup, they got me", or "better luck next time Faceblocked". Then again I might just go get some coffee and read a book on baking biscuits.

#5 KJackson50

KJackson50

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2014 - 11:14 PM

I use facebook but I don't "hang out" on it. So I didn't notice.

#6 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,015 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2014 - 12:13 AM

I quit using Facebook before this experiment began, never was really into these type of sites to begin with. 

Everyone wanting to "nudge" or "poke" me,  whatever it's called. Which was precisely why I stopped participating, someone attempted to poke me into a setup that would have negatively impacted my marriage. Really, it would be easy for anyone to fall into a trap on the site, if not very careful. 

Glad that I missed out on the “emotion experiments”, don't mind beta testing software, but will pass on the mind games. 

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#7 Offset

Offset

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2014 - 12:45 AM

Everyone wanting to "nudge" or "poke" me,  whatever it's called. Which was precisely why I stopped participating, someone attempted to poke me into a setup that would have negatively impacted my marriage. Really, it would be easy for anyone to fall into a trap on the site, if not very careful. 

I knew a couple who were married for about 10 years and then divorced. The reason? The husband had joined Facebook and listed himself as "single" instead of "married", the wife didn't discover this until 6 months later when her eldest son found his dad's profile on Facebook and forwarded the link to his mum who of course never trusted her husband again. A month later they filed for divorce, two young kids caught up in the mix.

Facebook is all well and good but I think people sometimes forget there is a darker side, the side that breaks up marriages, drives kids to suicide and crashes my browser with fifty daily notifications to play some darn game somebody I haven't spoken to in ten years has recommended I play.

Edited by Offset, 03 July 2014 - 12:45 AM.

#8 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,254 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 AM

Posted 03 July 2014 - 01:02 AM

What's Facebook.

I do not use facebook. Why anybody would want to " share" every moment with mostly total strangers seems strange.

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

#9 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,015 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2014 - 02:33 AM

Offset, what happened to me, was someone, wanting to get under someone else's skin, using me to ignite the fire. My profile shown that I was married. 

What it amounted to was, a young woman, about half my age, poked me, sending several messages in the course of 4-5 days, the last a PM topless, Just so happened, that out of all of the hundreds of millions of people in the US, one of her distant friends was my former daughter in law. Her & my stepson was going through a divorce & bitterly fighting. Could you imagine the revenge she'd have gotten had I took the bait? 

It just seemed to be too much there to be a coincidence & that was the last of me & Facebook. 

Why anybody would want to " share" every moment with mostly total strangers seems strange. 

I feel the same way. Though that wasn't the reason I was there, was actually searching for locals that was into computers, to do some component swapping. I managed to get a good IDE HDD that was needed at the time, in exchange for a floppy drive. 

However I tend to agree with the way that Stolen put it in the last sentence of her OP, to participate on Facebook, one's giving their rights away to be there. That's truly terrible, someone becoming a legit billionaire over what amounts to nothing except online socializing, 

There's no telling what other "experiments" they done & was never published & worse yet, still taking place. That's scary. 

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#10 czarboom

czarboom

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2014 - 02:58 AM

Saw that in cyberwars site.  WHAT facebook is using its members and messing with them.  HA.  That is how they make money, by making and creating data models of their users habits and desires. 

Its like saying Google is a search engine and not a data mining company.

But good posting to get it out there.

CZARBOOM 

"Never Stop Asking Questions, Question Your Environment, Question Your Government, above all Question Yourself.  We all lose when you Stop asking Why?

#11 Racket_Man

Racket_Man

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 AM

Posted 03 July 2014 - 03:14 AM

And to add that Facebook keeps changing their privacy and info policies every couple of months without much notification. 

I have stayed very very far away from most social media sites for a good reason ie, never know from day to day what the policies are even if you are super locked down, the selling and collection of you info, the not-so-good 3d party stuff that is allover Facebook AND importantly my life is VERY boring and there are few people I would care to be "friends with" or follow.

#12 czarboom

czarboom

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2014 - 03:20 AM

here here to that.

CZARBOOM 

"Never Stop Asking Questions, Question Your Environment, Question Your Government, above all Question Yourself.  We all lose when you Stop asking Why?

#13 Offset

Offset

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2014 - 03:24 AM

That's awful Cat, I'm sorry to hear you had such a hard time. I'd drop off Facebook in a second if it weren't the only way I could talk to some of my friends (they change their phone numbers so frequently).

In around 5 years on Facebook I've suspended my account nearly 18 times, closed my account three times (and subsequently re-opened it), been blocked and barred by various people as a form of revenge and to "get under my skin". I've also been the subject of a nasty lawsuit in which hundreds of private messages I sent on Facebook were publicly disclosed, many of them were extremely personal describing my health and life in general (a bitter revenge lawsuit by a former colleague). I have also twice been accused directly by Facebook of malicious activity for using the service to pass details of security vulnerabilities to a friend (they have keyword scanning on your private messages, and human staff can intercept and read individual messages without consent, simply based on a keyword or filter pattern).

That is my history with Facebook

#14 Winterland

Winterland

• Members
  • 995 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 AM

Posted 03 July 2014 - 07:29 AM

All of this is so disturbing and bothersome.

I am one of the few left that has never had a face book account.

I've got a completely fabricated Twitter account that I started a few months ago to see what it was all about, but there's not a single thing on my profile that's true. (well, except that I love pizza).

In the past couple of years, I've had friends and relatives say to me, "Well, I'm thinking about getting off face book..." or "I've been trying to use it less..." and it's always presented to me in the same way that a friend or relative would say if they were discussing an addiction.

I always feel awkward in those moments and don't know what to say.

Stolen - you're always out there posting that stuff we don't want to hear or know about but that we need to know.

>bows<

So again, thank you.

Winterland

Photobucket removed my cool flag - idiots!

Every calculation based on experience elsewhere fails in New Mexico.

#15 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2014 - 08:46 AM

I'm already depressed or bi-polar LOL.

Though I wonder how the FB admin would feel if they had driven someone to suicide?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users