Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Monitor will black out when opening games with unsupported resolutions

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 LatSpread

LatSpread

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 PM

Posted 02 July 2014 - 04:02 PM

Greetings,

A week ago, I replaced my 22.5'' monitor (1920x1080) with an old one I've used for about 7 years (1280x1024).

The grey one is the one I currently use ;

cd4542a894.jpg

Now, some games I try to open (even newly installed games that I have never opened before), do this;

(Hors Limites = Out of Limits)

10312a7166.jpg

I usually have to go through the config files of the game and manually change the resolution for the game to be displayed.

Also,

For some reason, even though my monitor doesn't support it, 1600x1200 is displayed as a possible resolution (even though it does the same thing as the image above.).

bf88d2775c.png

-Thank you

Edited by LatSpread, 02 July 2014 - 04:08 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 alonadel

alonadel

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 PM

Posted 02 July 2014 - 04:09 PM

A lot of newer games are made to start off in higher resolutions anymore, and thus your problem there with the old monitor. I would just save up the dough and get a newer one. 

That aside, you will want to check to see if your montior has a driver specific for it on the web. If it does install that to replace the most likelly generic one that its using atm. 

These really only give basic data to the operating system on limitations anymore, however since this montior is majorly limited, the driver is a must (assuming one is available.)

Most modern ones the driver is built right into windows. 

To check your driver model that is currently in use, go to start, right click on computer, choose manager, then device manager, hit the plus next to monitor and see what it calls it.

if it says "generic monitor" or something similar its prob a fail safe driver that is not the right one for this monitor. 

#3 LatSpread

LatSpread
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2014 - 04:19 PM

A lot of newer games are made to start off in higher resolutions anymore, and thus your problem there with the old monitor. I would just save up the dough and get a newer one. 

That aside, you will want to check to see if your montior has a driver specific for it on the web. If it does install that to replace the most likelly generic one that its using atm. 

These really only give basic data to the operating system on limitations anymore, however since this montior is majorly limited, the driver is a must (assuming one is available.)

Most modern ones the driver is built right into windows. 

To check your driver model that is currently in use, go to start, right click on computer, choose manager, then device manager, hit the plus next to monitor and see what it calls it.

if it says "generic monitor" or something similar its prob a fail safe driver that is not the right one for this monitor. 

I find it quite illogical for a game to force it's resolution, I'd assume they would adapt to the monitor's resolution, but that's where I suppose the problem originates from, it probably uses 1600x1200 as it's standard resolution (as noted in the last picture I posted), which is a resolution that isn't supported.

It says "Generic Non-PnP monitor".

Some games (even newer ones) had no issue, but a few have.

I might as well get back to my old monitor (the black one in the first picture posted), although I have an issue with it, hence why I replaced it, I'll try to fix that instead (if no one has a solution).

Edited by LatSpread, 02 July 2014 - 04:21 PM.

#4 alonadel

alonadel

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2014 - 04:33 PM

Since it shows generic non pnp you may be in luck finding a driver for it, what model monitor is it? I might be able to help you find the driver for it. 

And yes, im a dork for not looking at that last screen capture it obviously shows what driver is in use, my bad. :-)

Edited by alonadel, 02 July 2014 - 04:34 PM.

#5 LatSpread

LatSpread
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2014 - 06:14 PM

Since it shows generic non pnp you may be in luck finding a driver for it, what model monitor is it? I might be able to help you find the driver for it. 

And yes, im a dork for not looking at that last screen capture it obviously shows what driver is in use, my bad. :-)

It's fine, I appreciate your help.

V7, the model number is ; L17PS

54_-1426855108.jpgc130076-monitor-010213-cro2.jpg

Would not using the original cables provided, change anything?

Edited by LatSpread, 02 July 2014 - 06:23 PM.

#6 LatSpread

LatSpread
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2014 - 10:02 PM

I figured out what the problem is (100% certain).

The monitor (even on Windows), is recognized to go up to 1600x1200, even though the max is really 1280x1024.

The game automatically puts the highest resolution, so that's what happens.

bf88d2775c.png

I've found a way to bypass the issue with commands and config editing.

The fix I need is to make Windows recognize that my monitor does not support 1600x1200.

#7 alonadel

alonadel

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2014 - 12:22 PM

yup, that's what I meant by drivers giving windows limitations on monitors, it tells the operating system what the monitors limits are so it does not go outside those limits. 

I have hunted about a bit and not found a specific driver for it. So I suggest you force windows to change the driver its using to "Digital Flat Panel 1280 x 1024" 

To do this your going to want to start by making a restore point. Go to start, all programs, accessories, system tools, system restore, make a new restore point and name it whatever you like. 

Next go to start, right click computer, choose manage, then choose device manager, hit the plus next to monitor, right click the listed,"Generic Non PnP Monitor" and choose update driver....

Next you will need to put the dot in "Install from a list of specific location. Then click next. put the dot in Don't Search, I will choose a driver to install, then click next again. 

Take the check out of "Show Compatible" and it should give you a list of drivers, in the right pane scroll up and choose the Digital Flat Panel 1280 x 1024, , if it warns its not the right one, say ok anyway and then finish out the setup. 

once done reboot and see what you get. This should force the monitor to now be limited as you needed. 

If you need to revert back, just go back into device manager and remove the driver by right click, and choose uninstall, reboot and windows will redetect and put back in the Generic. 

#8 LatSpread

LatSpread
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2014 - 12:36 AM

yup, that's what I meant by drivers giving windows limitations on monitors, it tells the operating system what the monitors limits are so it does not go outside those limits. 

I have hunted about a bit and not found a specific driver for it. So I suggest you force windows to change the driver its using to "Digital Flat Panel 1280 x 1024" 

To do this your going to want to start by making a restore point. Go to start, all programs, accessories, system tools, system restore, make a new restore point and name it whatever you like. 

Next go to start, right click computer, choose manage, then choose device manager, hit the plus next to monitor, right click the listed,"Generic Non PnP Monitor" and choose update driver....

Next you will need to put the dot in "Install from a list of specific location. Then click next. put the dot in Don't Search, I will choose a driver to install, then click next again. 

Take the check out of "Show Compatible" and it should give you a list of drivers, in the right pane scroll up and choose the Digital Flat Panel 1280 x 1024, , if it warns its not the right one, say ok anyway and then finish out the setup. 

once done reboot and see what you get. This should force the monitor to now be limited as you needed. 

If you need to revert back, just go back into device manager and remove the driver by right click, and choose uninstall, reboot and windows will redetect and put back in the Generic. 

I don't think it worked.

It still shows 1600x1200 in my list of supported resolutions.

Would the Hertz have anything to do with this? 

Edited by LatSpread, 04 July 2014 - 12:36 AM.

#9 alonadel

alonadel

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2014 - 08:37 PM

its possible, you can try switching to 56 if your at 60 etc. Also, try testing in your games anyway and see what happens. i assume in device manager it now shows the monitor as the 1280 x 1024 driver?

Edited by alonadel, 06 July 2014 - 08:38 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users