Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable To Burn Discs With Ext. CD/DVD Burner

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Brian67

Brian67

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:15 AM

Posted 02 July 2014 - 03:50 PM

Hi, I have a Dell Inspiron 1520 Laptop and my OS is Vista Home Premium SP2-32bit and a few weeks ago it's optical disk drive packed up. I purchased a Samsung SE 208 ext. portable CD/DVD burner as I use iTunes frequently for importing music albums, this it does very well. However, earlier today I attempted to burn a disc but was unable to do so because after placing blank disc in the ext. burner's disc tray and pushing in, the laptop's disc tray automatically slid out and iTunes asked me to place a blank disc in it's tray!

What I would like to know is, do I somehow have to disable/uninstall the laptop's disc drive or is it a case of the ext. burner not getting enough power from the one USB socket connection or do I need to connect with a Y cable for the extra power to fire it up.

I hope I've managed to convey the problem clearly and I would be grateful for any help.

Many thanks.

Brian67

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 AM

Posted 02 July 2014 - 04:03 PM

I've always used Nero or Roxio for burning discs when my computer didn't come with software for the purpose.  I see Amazon has them for $15 and up.

Good luck.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#3 alonadel

alonadel

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 AM

Posted 02 July 2014 - 04:03 PM

none of the above, the problem is that Itunes is simply looking to your internal DVD drive as the location for burning to. 

http://support.apple.com/kb/ta44597

the above link is Apples troubleshooting guide for Itunes burning. 

I would suggest you test outside of Itunes to verify that the burner works first. 

Vista should have built in burnin capabilities via drag and drop, ,. Go to computer, open the new drives listing and it should be empty, drag insomething to burn to it, and click the burn button. 

See if it works. 

if it does your burner is fine and its just Itunes looking to the wrong drive. 

You can disable your internal DVD drive its true, especially if its defective by simply going to your start menu, right clicking on computer, choose manage, device manager, hit plus next to DVD drives, and right click the one that is not working right, choose to disable it. Once disabled, reboot

see if Itunes then uses your new one. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users