Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP for refurbished PCs wont overwrite Windows 7 or Linux

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 ThatNoobGuy

ThatNoobGuy

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 PM

Posted 02 July 2014 - 02:53 PM

I have an HP Elite 8000 and a drive I need to run XP on. I picked up some password protected surplus drives from Ebay along with a fresh install of XP.

It wont install over the Windows 7 drives. I end up with a blue screen (I'd love to post a pic, but its asking for a URL and the pic is on my computer. How can I get the pic to show up on this thread?)

It warns that therey be a virus on the drive to be overwritten.

It also suggests running chkdsk/F. How would this be done? I cannot access the pasword protected drive.

We DID manage to install Linux Unbutu 8.4 on one disk but universally, we cannot connect to the internet, regardless of HD or operating system.

ANy way to fix this stuff?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 kaz20

kaz20

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:43 PM

Posted 02 July 2014 - 02:56 PM

when does the blue screen show up, how far along the process do you get in the XP install?

#3 alonadel

alonadel

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:43 PM

Posted 02 July 2014 - 03:09 PM

This could have a couple of solutions depending on the cause. You may need to check your computers bios (F1, F2, DEL or F10) depending on the pc on startup and see if there is a "protect boot sector" or "protect MBR" option, if its on it needs to be turned off to make the write happen. 

Next on the drives your going to want to run the windows XP setup disk and choose to delete the exisiting partitions. This you will do by putting in the setup disks, choosing to setup windows XP, now and then it should give you a option for advanced or take you directly to where you can edit partitions. once you have destroyed the old partition just make a new one the max you can as NTFS partition and move on with setup. 

#4 ThatNoobGuy

ThatNoobGuy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2014 - 06:35 PM

This could have a couple of solutions depending on the cause. You may need to check your computers bios (F1, F2, DEL or F10) depending on the pc on startup and see if there is a "protect boot sector" or "protect MBR" option, if its on it needs to be turned off to make the write happen. 

Next on the drives your going to want to run the windows XP setup disk and choose to delete the exisiting partitions. This you will do by putting in the setup disks, choosing to setup windows XP, now and then it should give you a option for advanced or take you directly to where you can edit partitions. once you have destroyed the old partition just make a new one the max you can as NTFS partition and move on with setup. 

Excellent, where can I get this setup disk? The link you provided appeared to be a tech support hotline.

Thanks,

Edited by hamluis, 02 July 2014 - 07:03 PM.
Fixed quote - Hamluis

#5 alonadel

alonadel

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:43 PM

Posted 03 July 2014 - 11:51 AM

Excellent, where can I get this setup disk? The link you provided appeared to be a tech support hotline.

Thanks,

Eh, you indicated in your initial texts that you were attempting to install windows xp onto the system. I had assumed you were using a windows xp setup disk, what are you using to do the install?

#6 ThatNoobGuy

ThatNoobGuy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2014 - 07:10 PM

This could have a couple of solutions depending on the cause. You may need to check your computers bios (F1, F2, DEL or F10) depending on the pc on startup and see if there is a "protect boot sector" or "protect MBR" option, if its on it needs to be turned off to make the write happen. This you will do by putting in the setup disks, choosing to setup windows XP, now and then it should give you a option for advanced or take you directly to where you can edit partitions. once you have destroyed the old partition just make a new one the max you can as NTFS partition and move on with setup. 

Next on the drives your going to want to run the windows XP setup disk and choose to delete the exisiting partitions.

I cant get that far. The disk wont boot as typical. I basically have access to the bios and thats it.

#7 ThatNoobGuy

ThatNoobGuy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2014 - 07:19 PM

Thanks,

Eh, you indicated in your initial texts that you were attempting to install windows xp onto the system. I had assumed you were using a windows xp setup disk, what are you using to do the install?

I am. Im trying to overwrite a decent WD Velociraptor HD. Im using a disk used for overwriting operating systems on refurbed computers.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,239 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2014 - 07:56 PM

Are you using one of the password protected drives you mentioned in your first post. If the drive is password protected, you cannot do anything with them, even format. They are locked. There are some ways to unlock the drives but I can't go into it here because of the Forums TOS. But you can google Unlock Hard drives and see where that takes you.

http://www.datarecovery.com.sg/data_recovery/hard_disk_lock.htm

Modern hard disks (notably IDE ATA IV and above) support setting of hard disk password lock so user cannot access the drive until correct password is entered. This is a common implementation in most modern notebook. These hard disk lock passwords are not the same as BIOS passwords. Moving a locked hard disk drive to another machine will not unlock it since the hard disk password is stored in the hard disk special system (non-data) zone. Hard disk lock passwords can not be removed by reformatting or zero-filled the disk, fdisk or any other software procedure (with some exception).

#9 ThatNoobGuy

ThatNoobGuy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2014 - 08:15 PM

Are you using one of the password protected drives you mentioned in your first post. If the drive is password protected, you cannot do anything with them, even format. They are locked. There are some ways to unlock the drives but I can't go into it here because of the Forums TOS. But you can google Unlock Hard drives and see where that takes you.

Modern hard disks (notably IDE ATA IV and above) support setting of hard disk password lock so user cannot access the drive until correct password is entered. This is a common implementation in most modern notebook. These hard disk lock passwords are not the same as BIOS passwords. Moving a locked hard disk drive to another machine will not unlock it since the hard disk password is stored in the hard disk special system (non-data) zone. Hard disk lock passwords can not be removed by reformatting or zero-filled the disk, fdisk or any other software procedure (with some exception).

We were able to install linux Unbutu 8.4 on one. And XP on another. (on different computers ) There seems to be directions on how to reset the passwords using the CMOS battery and jumpers. Of course they're are 3 jumpers and they dont tell you which ones to use. they number them 1,2, and 3 in the instructions but fail to mention which jumpers are 1,2, and 3- so totally flying blind. The drives are totally rewritable and will accept a new OS. My issue is a lack of info on this computer.

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,239 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2014 - 08:22 PM

Okay, so it sounds like it's the PC's that have a BIOS password attached and you are tryting to clear them. You  can take out the CMOS battery, unplug the computer and then hold the power button down for 10 seconds. This should clear the password.

Are you talking about the HP Elite 8000 in regards to lack of info?

Edit: Here is the Technical Reference for the 8000

See page 4-9 and 4-11 for CMOS and Password clear.

Edit Edit: You should probably change out the CMOS battery for a new one depending on age.

Edited by JohnC_21, 03 July 2014 - 08:35 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users