Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

External SSD recommendation needed.

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 Red Kelt

Red Kelt

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:48 PM

Posted 02 July 2014 - 02:42 PM

Hi I'm considering buying an external ssd to run win7.

Can any suggest a good make?

How do I check for compatibility?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 AM

Posted 02 July 2014 - 03:00 PM

Will it be used through a usb 2.0 or usb 3.0 port, or external sata? It really shouldn't matter much either way if you use usb 2.0 or 3.0 neither are very fast with read writes. If you want reliability, I recommend any intel drive or the samsung evo 840 or evo 840 pro.

Edited by zingo156, 02 July 2014 - 03:04 PM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#3 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2014 - 03:07 PM

I updated the above post a bit.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#4 Red Kelt

Red Kelt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2014 - 03:23 PM

Cheers.

Are internal drives a lot faster than usb?

#5 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2014 - 03:31 PM

The limiting factor will nearly always be usb, the max writes are ~ 29mb/s for usb 2.0 and 95mb/s usb 3.0 All ssd's are faster than those currently. Sata 3 is required for ssd's to run at their max speed. That or pci-e or SAS.

#6 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,002 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 AM

Posted 02 July 2014 - 10:05 PM

Am currently using two Samsung 840 EVO SSD's in my computer, of the 120 & 250GB capacities (see specs in my sig). 

Started with the 120GB model, to be it's size & very low cost at $89, was the fastest SSD I had at that time, as well as the highest rated component in the computer (7.9 WEI score, 7 Pro). 

Then decided to place my Dell OEM Windows 8 OS onto SSD, so purchased the 250GB version & created a dual boot of the two OS's. For a short time, the 120GB model was unused, after Mint 17 was finally released, now have it on there, though it uses very little space on the SSD. Actually should have either purchased a 60-64GB model, as that's a lot of wasted space, even with the 15% empty space for overprovision (this on setup as such on both SSD's).

My initial plans were to create a couple of VM's on the MInt drive, but have decided against it, read that it has a very negative impact on SSD life. Not that today's models need to be pampered, it's the way that VM's opens & especially closes. A virtual disk will cause massive, I mean massive writes to the SSD when shut down, by the size of the disk. That would be like 20-30GB writes in one sweep. If one ran these daily, or worse 2-3 times, this would exceed the way that the OEM's & other 3rd party reviewers tests these. 

To be honest, I don't expect these to last a lifetime, but would like to have a carefree 3 to 5 years out of each. 

Note that the latest Samsung 250 Pro models boasts a 10 year warranty, hopefully there's an increase with the EVO's also. In terms of speed alone, there's not much difference between the two (Pro & EVO) & SSD Boss has these running neck to neck. Had the Pro really separated itself from the EVO in benchmarks, I'd have paid the bit of extra cash, but the EVO outscored the Pro by .2 (EVO 9.2, Pro 9.0). 

Both of these has extremely fast R/W & seek times, a USB enclosure of any type will be a huge bottleneck. 

If this is for a PC & not a notebook, there are external SATA PCI add on cards available that will smoke a USB connection. There is one low cost SATA 2 option that's still faster than USB 3.0 & a couple of SATA 3 ones also. 

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007607%20600022631%20600022627&IsNodeId=1&Description=external%20sata%20pci%20adapter&name=SATA%20II%20%283.0Gb%2fs%29&Order=BESTMATCH

It would be a shame to waste a good SSD in a USB enclosure, may as well purchase a high capacity USB 3.0 Flash drive, or which there a few good brands of. 

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#7 Red Kelt

Red Kelt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2014 - 02:17 AM

Speccy syas I currently have a SATA type of SATA-II 3 gbs

Is this compatible?

http://www.dabs.com/products/sandisk-128gb-ssd-sata-6gb-s-2-5--solid-state-drive-870X.html?refs=52450000&catid=15004&src=2

It looks ok to me but I'm not sure, cheap too.

I'm guessing this is enough space for Win7 and then some.

#8 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,168 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:48 PM

Posted 03 July 2014 - 06:22 AM

I recently got a similar Sandisk Ultra Plus 256gb for an upgrade of my PC.  They're not the fastest drives you can get, but well priced and a lot quicker than HDD's.  I think it would probably be quick enough to max out your SATA II port.  From what I'd read, Sandisk drives are popular with OEM's because of their price and reliability.  For me, the Windows 8.1 login screen appears about 15 seconds after switching on the PC from cold, which includes the POST time.  The login to desktop is then fairly instant.  Before I did the upgrade I was using Windows 7 on an old Samsung HDD and that was taking at least a couple of minutes from power on to usable desktop.

I ran the User Benchmark program on it and the results are here - http://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/36980

I think 128Gb is a good size for a system drive.  I would probably avoid chancing it with smaller ones as Windows tends to grow over time.  For best results, you'll want to do a fresh installation to an SSD rather than copying an install over.

7sbvuf-6.png

#9 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2014 - 07:25 AM

There are a few reasons a person might put an ssd in a usb 3.0 enclosure: they can handle falls much better than platter hard drives. The seek times are much better than regular hard drives and the transfer speed of the usb/sata bus won't affect this much. Seek speed will make a large difference if you only store small files on the drive. With modern usb flash drives, the seek times are pretty good so I agree that in most cases even with the possible benefits it is a bit of a waste to put an ssd in any usb enclosure. Due to the fact that usb 3.0 flash drives can be picked up pretty cheap and are smaller than the 2.5 inch ssd standard, if you plan on using usb, just get a decent flash drive.

If you intend to use the ssd as your operating system drive, make use of sata 2 or higher if possible.

#10 Red Kelt

Red Kelt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2014 - 08:18 AM

I think I'm edging towards buying a new PC altogether.

Thanks for all the advice guys.

#11 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,168 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2014 - 09:22 AM

What's made you go in that direction then? What do you have at the moment?

7sbvuf-6.png

#12 Red Kelt

Red Kelt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2014 - 11:02 AM

What's made you go in that direction then? What do you have at the moment?

I'm just thinking that this 4 yr old pc of mine will always need upgrading, it freezes too, the SSD might not cure this if the HDD in place already is not faulty.

I'm in Wales too.

Operating System
    Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1
CPU
    AMD Phenom II X4 965    47 °C
    Deneb 45nm Technology
RAM
    8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 666MHz (9-9-9-24)
Motherboard
    ASUSTeK Computer INC. M4A79XTD EVO (AM3)    47 °C
Graphics
    PLE2407HDSD (1920x1080@60Hz)
    1024MB ATI AMD Radeon HD 5700 Series (ATI)    51 °C
    1024MB ATI AMD Radeon HD 5700 Series (ATI)    46 °C
    CrossFire Disabled
Storage
    931GB SAMSUNG HD103SJ ATA Device (SATA)    34 °C
    931GB SAMSUNG HD103SJ ATA Device (SATA)    40 °C
Optical Drives
    HL-DT-ST BDDVDRW CH08LS10 ATA Device
    TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-S223C ATA Device
Audio
    VIA High Definition Audio

#13 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,168 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2014 - 11:47 AM

Hi to another Welshie :)  I'm in Barry, you?

Well it's not bang up to date but it should be up to running most things without difficulty.  If it's just the freezing, perhaps a clean install will cure it?  But TBH I don't blame you if you get the itch as I tend to upgrade every 4-5 years or so as well (I aim to double the performance or better to make it worthwhile).

Edited by jonuk76, 03 July 2014 - 11:49 AM.

7sbvuf-6.png

#14 Red Kelt

Red Kelt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2014 - 11:50 AM

I've done the clean install including drivers.  It must be hardware.

I don't think it's over heating as it can run all day and not freeze then at other times it freezes within 30 minutes of start up.

#15 Red Kelt

Red Kelt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2014 - 12:12 PM

Hi to another Welshie :)  I'm in Barry, you?

Well it's not bang up to date but it should be up to running most things without difficulty.  If it's just the freezing, perhaps a clean install will cure it?  But TBH I don't blame you if you get the itch as I tend to upgrade every 4-5 years or so as well (I aim to double the performance or better to make it worthwhile).

Is it (easily) possible to double my speeds for around a grand?

I'm just outside Newport.

Edited by Red Kelt, 03 July 2014 - 12:13 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users