Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to Boot Windows 8 Critial_Service_Failed

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 cdub74

cdub74

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 AM

Posted 02 July 2014 - 02:07 PM

I have been given an Acer Laptop (Aspire V3 771G) laptop that will not boot into windows it starts to boot then brings up a screen which says Critical_Service_Failed. This happened after installing updates

I am unable to boot into safe mode as F8 or Shift+F8 does not work, I have also tried Alt+F10 to see if that launches Acer recovery with no luck.

I have tried booting with a Windows 8 & 8.1 CDs to run the Repair computer option but Startup Repair, said it could not repair your PC, System Restore said To use system restore you must specify which windows installation to restore, Restart this computer, select and operating system and then select system restore,  Reset your PC says, Unable to reset your PC. A required drive Partition is missing, when I try Refresh your PC it says The drive where windows is installed is locked. Unlock the drive and try again.

I can get in command prompt from the windows 8 & 8.1 CDs and see the Windows drive and the files, I have tried running SFC / Scannow but it says there is a system repair pending which requires a reboot to complete, restart Windows and run sfc again.

I have tried enabling the F8 key using the following commands in command prompt from the CD

bcdedit /set {bootmgr} displaybootmenu yes

bcdedit /set {default} bootmenupolicy legacy

But got the following error message

The boot configuration data store could not be opened
The requested system device cannot be found

I have tried reinstalling windows from the Windows 8.1 CD but get the message: windows cannot be installed on this disk. The selected disk is of the GPT partition style

Have checked the disk drive and all seems fine, also turned off secure boot and set bios to legacy so that I could boot from CD and/or USB.

There are no acer recovery disks for the laptop, also no USB recovery drive was created.

I feel like I am knocking my head on a brick wall with this one, how stupid of Microsoft to not give you a chance to repair the system if you cant boot into windows!!!!

Has anyone got any ideas on what I can try next?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:55 PM

Posted 02 July 2014 - 04:38 PM

This is one more example of why I always back my systems up.  Without backup, you run into this kind of thing.  You could try making a repair drive on a USB flash drive from another Windows 8.1 computer.  Use the Recovery applet of the Control Panel.  Be aware that this will erase anything that's on the flash drive when you do it.  Then you can boot from the flash drive and try a repair.

Good luck.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#3 cdub74

cdub74
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2014 - 05:41 PM

This is one more example of why I always back my systems up.  Without backup, you run into this kind of thing.  You could try making a repair drive on a USB flash drive from another Windows 8.1 computer.  Use the Recovery applet of the Control Panel.  Be aware that this will erase anything that's on the flash drive when you do it.  Then you can boot from the flash drive and try a repair.

Good luck.

Thanks for that, if it was me I would do the same, but it was not setup by me the person that set it up did not create any recovery media or backup, luckily I have backed up personal files by booting up a Windows PE CD and copied the personal files to an external hard drive.

My main problem is reinstalling Windows 8

I have tried creating a recovery drive and booting from it on the laptop but still no luck

Tried the following from the Recovery Drive:

Reset your PC
Unable to reset your PC. A Required drive Partition is missing

Refresh your pc
The drive where windows is installed is locked. Unlock the drive and try again

System Restore
To Use System restore you must specify which Windows Installation to restore
Restart this computer, select and operating system and then select System Restore

Automatic Repair
Automatic Repair couldn't repair your PC

Any other suggestions, I have never had problems reinstalling any other Windows OS like this.

#4 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:55 PM

Posted 02 July 2014 - 06:40 PM

I suspect a lot of the problem is related to the new UEFI replacement for the BIOS and the GPT formatting of the hard drive as a replacement for NTFS.  I have two PCs here at home running 8.1, but neither of these came with Windows 8 installed and they don't have UEFI.  I want to get up to speed on these things, so I went by a local store a few days ago.  When I started File Explorer, all the C: drives showed up as NTFS, so I'm more confused than ever about this.  I suppose I could go buy an inexpensive Windows 8.1 computer (around $300), but I already have 4 desktops and a laptop here at home!   :rolleyes: I almost hope one of them will crap out so I'll have an excuse to get a replacement.  :whistle:

Good luck.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#5 cdub74

cdub74
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2014 - 03:18 AM

Yes this UEFI is a pain in the backside, also I think that the bios options have been locked down by Acer which is also no helping,

I was wondering if I could somehow get the computer to boot from the partition that holds the Acer recovery information would this enable me to reinstall Windows 8? Can anyone tell me if this would be possible and if so how to I do this

I have 6 Partitions as follows

Partition 1:Recovery (Recovery) 400mb (140mb Free)

Partition 2:ESP (System) 300mb (247mb Free)

Partition 3: (MSR Reserved) 128mb (128mb Free) 

Partition 4: Acer (Primary) 913.3gb (844.9 Free)

Partition 5: (Recovery) 450mb (433mb Free)

Partition 6: Push Button Reset (Recovery) 17.0gb (2.8gb Free)

Thanks

Chris

#6 boyans

boyans

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 AM

Posted 03 July 2014 - 10:13 AM

You have to boot the corresponding installation/recovery CD/DVD/USB (corresponding to installed Windows version on disk) using UEFI boot !!!

The disk structure seems OK from what you have supplied.

1. Boot recovery/installation media the UEFI way

2. SHIFT+F10 brings up command prompt (if using installation media)

3. bcdboot c:\windows - where c: is Windows partition (Partition 4: Acer (Primary) 913.3gb (844.9 Free))

if necessary change drive letter c: in command above to reflect mapping on your computer.

See also repair Windows BCD.

4. sfc /scannow (google for offline syntax of command) - fixes system files if tampered.

Now rebooting again to recovery CD/DVD (the UEFI way!) and using "Automatic Repair" should be successful.

#7 cdub74

cdub74
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2014 - 10:25 AM

You have to boot the corresponding installation/recovery CD/DVD/USB (corresponding to installed Windows version on disk) using UEFI boot !!!

The disk structure seems OK from what you have supplied.

1. Boot recovery/installation media the UEFI way

2. SHIFT+F10 brings up command prompt (if using installation media)

3. bcdboot c:\windows - where c: is Windows partition (Partition 4: Acer (Primary) 913.3gb (844.9 Free))

if necessary change drive letter c: in command above to reflect mapping on your computer.

See also repair Windows BCD.

4. sfc /scannow (google for offline syntax of command) - fixes system files if tampered.

Now rebooting again to recovery CD/DVD (the UEFI way!) and using "Automatic Repair" should be successful.

I cant boot from anything other than the hard drive when the BIOS is in UEFI mode, I have tried creating  a UEFI Bootable Flash Drive but can only see Windows Boot Manager when the Bios is in UEFI mode.

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/15458-uefi-bootable-usb-flash-drive-create-windows.html

Attached Files

Edited by cdub74, 03 July 2014 - 10:30 AM.

#8 cdub74

cdub74
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2014 - 08:09 AM

Ok managed to find out that the laptop wont boot from a UEFI USB Drive, I did manage to create a Windows 8 DVD that will boot in UEFI managed to create this with the help of the website below

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-windows_install/anybody-gotten-the-dvd-to-boot-uefi/82677329-a861-4060-866b-3eacb60a8b38

Command used:

oscdimg.exe -m -o -u2 -udfver102 -bootdata:2#p0,e,bg:\boot\etfsboot.com#pEF,e,bg:\efi\microsoft\boot\efisys.bin g:\ F:\Temp\win8-uefi.iso

tried the command bcdboot.exe c:\windows

got the message boot files successfully created

tried SFC /Scannow

and go there is a system repair pending which requires reboot to complete, restart windows and run sfc again.

What can I try from here?

#9 cdub74

cdub74
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2014 - 10:48 AM

I have finally managed to get into Windows, now I have a UEFI bootable Windows 8.1 DVD, I managed to get into command prompt and run the following command:

Which enabled the F8 key on boot to get me into Safe Mode, whilst in Safe Mode I managed to Disable startups and services and narrowed the problem down to Mcafee Total Protection, with everything to do with Mcafee total protection disabled I could boot into Windows normally.

Thanks Microsoft for taking away the F8 key to get into Windows, if I had of had access to F8 in the first place it would have taken me 5 minutes to get into Windows, Instead it took me 5 days, Just another example of a backward step from Microsoft in Windows 8, which wasted me the best part of a week.

#10 Juliusczar

Juliusczar

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2014 - 11:18 PM

I am having the same problem right now. Do i need a windows 8 or 8.1 cd to get into safe mode???

#11 cdub74

cdub74
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2014 - 06:58 AM

I am having the same problem right now. Do i need a windows 8 or 8.1 cd to get into safe mode???

If you have windows 8 then you need a Windows 8 CD if you have Windows 8.1 then you need a Windows 8.1 CD but the CD needs to be a secure boot CD (see post 8 on how to create a secure boot cd) you will need a windows 8 or 8.1 ISO file

#12 Juliusczar

Juliusczar

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2014 - 09:28 AM

The thing is i dont have those. Can i just copy a system backup from another pc with a windows 8.1 on a usb with the same bit architecture and plug the usb on my laptop and run system restore. The way you figured it out seems to be complicated to a noob like me hehe :)

Thanks

#13 cdub74

cdub74
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2014 - 12:37 PM

Yes it was rather complicated all I can says try to see if you can get in to the system repair options with the USB from another system.

When you are at the repair menu press hold down shift and press F10 then let go of the Shift Key, this should bring up a command prompt type the following command in the command prompt

Then shutdown the computer, remove the usb stick

Power up the system and keep tapping the F8 key which should now bring up the option to boot into safe mode (please be aware it may take a few attempts at restarting the system and tapping the F8 key to get the menu to appear, it seems to be a black art)

Do not use the USB created on another system to attempt to repair or reinstall Windows as it may completely scuttle your chances of resurrecting the current windows installation.

#14 Juliusczar

Juliusczar

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2014 - 06:05 PM

Now what happened is that i made a recovery media drive from a newly bought hp laptop and then plugged it into the laptop that is not booting up due to an error. I plugged it, opened the laptop and gave me an option on what language i want use. After that i clicked system restore, gave me some idea on what would happened, and continued on with it. Although it warned me that it will uninstall all applications that i installed from a disc or any websites (including a genuine microsoft office home which i havent used for a year), i gave it a go. After a few minutes of system restore, reboot and set up, it booted up but the odd thing is that it copied the same applications that i had on the hp laptop.

I'm now just worried about the microsoft office since we lost the freakin product key.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users