Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Video Card Fans Falling Off?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Johnz414

Johnz414

• Members
  • 491 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:17 AM

Posted 02 July 2014 - 11:51 AM

Hi,

I have a 1024MB ATI AMD Radeon HD 5800 Series (Gigabyte) video card with two fans and for the last 6 months or so these fans seem to want to keep falling off of the video card.

I have just pushed them back up into the video card after they have completely fallen off the video card and immediately they are falling back off the card making a noise hitting the card below them?

What can I do to get these fans to permanently stay where they are suppose to stay?

Anyone having dealt with this issue and is there a good solution? Thanks.

John

John

"Genius is nothing other than pointing out the obvious",
Albert Einstein.

"I am what I am and that is all that I am, I am Popeye the Sailor Man", Popeye.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,005 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 AM

Posted 02 July 2014 - 06:17 PM

I have been looking at images of this card and I can't find any that show sufficient detail, however this is behaviour that is not to be encouraged !

Is it the fan blades falling off the motor drive spindles or is it the complete motor and fan assembly coming off the heat sink  ?  If it is the first, a drop of one of the many 'super glues' in the spindle socket might be your answer. If it is the second, are there any missing screws - possibly quite small ones - which may have fallen out and be lying around either in or around the heat sink assembly or somewhere in your computer case ?

I personally would be reluctant to use this graphics card until I had fixed the problem. Loose bits spinning at high speed flying around inside a computer are liable to do some serious damage rather than just 'hitting the card below them'. And the possibility of loose screws is just asking for short circuits.

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !

#3 Johnz414

Johnz414
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 491 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2014 - 08:41 PM

Thanks for the response,

Fortunately I think it is the first situation, just the fan blades falling off the motor drive spindles.

So, I'll try a drop of super glue and see what happens. I just was't sure that would be safe or not. But I'll try it.

Thanks for the feedback.

John

John

Albert Einstein.

#4 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2014 - 11:58 AM

I have seen this happen before, all of the times I have just replaced the fans with new ones. Fans are cheap and my motto is always better safe than sorry. If you don't want to spend the money on fans, it may be a good time for an upgrade, newer gpu's are more power efficient for the same or better performance.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#5 Johnz414

Johnz414
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 491 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2014 - 08:35 AM

Hi,

I did end up purchasing new fans and it's working just fine now, no more noise or concern.

John

Albert Einstein.

#6 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,005 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 AM

Posted 30 August 2014 - 03:51 PM

It's taken you a little while, but I am glad you have it sorted. The idea of loose bits flying around inside a computer case did not appeal !

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users