Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP Pavilion dm3t battery icon shows 99% available (plugged in not charging)

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 joan69

joan69

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 PM

Posted 02 July 2014 - 10:39 AM

hi from senior Joan. My led battery lamp keeps flashing. Is there reason for concern?  I am not charging to 100%. Would this be an adapter issue or does battery need replacing? computer is 4 years old and works fine otherwise. thanks much for any help..

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,031 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 PM

Posted 02 July 2014 - 11:07 AM

If the power adapter is producing the proper voltage and the battery is not charging, at four years old I would suggest that it's time to replace the battery.

If you know someone who can test the output of the power adapter this would let you know if the problem is with the adapter or the battery.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2014 - 11:16 AM

If you've gotten 4 years of use from your laptop battery, you've beaten the averages by a good bit.  My Toshiba laptop is 2.5 years old, and I'm getting a message from Windows 7 that I should consider replacing the battery.  When new I could get close to 4 hours use on the battery; now I get just over one hour.  These batteries aren't cheap, the Toshiba replacement is $75, but I'm told to buy only from the laptop's manufacturer because the others don't last nearly as long.

Good luck.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#4 joan69

joan69
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2014 - 11:39 AM

thanks so much for the rapid response. much appreciated. I have 3 questions: will Windows notify me when I should consider replacing my battery? I am on a fixed income, and 2, do I need to be concerned about the LED lamp continuing to flash? I am just happy the computer is working good at 99%, but the flashing lamp concerns me. Should I unplug the power at night? Joan

#5 joan69

joan69
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2014 - 11:48 AM

I will not be a pest.. Another question. The adapter is plugged into a surge protector. is this OK?

#6 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2014 - 11:53 AM

It's good to have the surge protector, better than not having it.  As to the flashing led light, I'd ask HP about that.  All laptops are made with proprietary parts, unlike desktops, so only HP could give you a definitive answer.  My guess would be there's nothing to worry about, but that's just a guess, so see if you can get an answer from HP.  Check your user guide too.  I've experienced HP's tech support and know personally what it's like to get good info from them, so check that user guide first.  I don't know of any reason to unplug the power at night.

Re Windows notification, my Windows 7 laptop gave me a message that I should consider replacing the battery, as I mentioned earlier.  MS says this is a new feature in Windows 7 that you'll get this notice when the battery is down to 40% of its initial capacity.

Good luck.

Edited by wpgwpg, 02 July 2014 - 11:57 AM.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,031 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2014 - 11:57 AM

Most laptops now have a means of monitoring the battery's state of charge, obviously the blinking LED is part of this system.  Without having read through the user manual I can't guarantee that the LED will stop flashing, but I would be willing to bet it does.  As far as the laptop notifying you about replacing the battery, once again I would need to read the user manual before I could answer that.

You should need to unplug the power adapter at night.  It is plugged into a surge protector which will provide a modicum of voltage spike protection.

The battery you have will go through between 300 - 500 charge cycles.  The battery is a six cell Io-Ion battery with a voltage of 11.1V DC with a 5200 mAh.

I would still suggest that you have a friend take a look at the output voltage of the power adapter just to be sure this isn't contributing to the battery failure.

Just for the record, I had to replace my wife's Toshiba laptop battery after five years of daily use.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,031 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2014 - 12:04 PM

@wpgwpg

You are making an assumption that the problem is only with the battery.  At the age of this computer there are other realistic potential problems which should also be taken into consideration, the power adapter is one of these.  At four years of age you also should take into consideration that the electrolytic capacitors will start to break down, this would mean that the power regulator on the motherboard could be effected.

#9 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2014 - 12:15 PM

DC3, anything's possible no doubt.  I'm sure a repair shop would check all those things.  I'm just a bit hesitant to delve into all that with a senior lady when I believe the battery is the most likely cause.  I know if I were to mention bad caps, voltages, and milliamps to my wife, what kind of reaction I'd get.  :whistle:

By the way, did you mean to say she "should need to unplug the power adapter at night" or was that a typo?  I've always left mine plugged in with the laptop in sleep mode.  I do have a surge protector too.

#10 joan69

joan69
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2014 - 12:32 PM

this senior thanks you once again for the rapid responses. We are never too old too learn, and I learn something new every day. I will make sure to obtain a new battery sooner rather than later, and will see what I can do in reference to the adapter; the advise makes perfect sense. I hope you all enjoy the 4th of July. Best wishes. Joan

#11 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2014 - 12:44 PM

Joan, it's a pleasure helping you.  For whatever it's worth I'm older than you, and I teach computers at the local senior centers.  One thing about the battery.  As long as you aren't having anything worse than a blinking LED, I wouldn't be in any rush to replace the battery.  If you always use the laptop plugged in, you might be able to function perfectly with the battery removed.  This is the case with the two Toshiba laptops I've had, but I couldn't say about your HP laptop.

DC3 makes a point about 4 year old computers that you should bear in mind.  These things are designed for an average life of around 5 years, so some of the other technically involved things he mentioned become increasingly likely as it gets older, kind of like cars (and people too)!   :rolleyes: 

Good luck. 

#12 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,031 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2014 - 12:44 PM

You are correct Joan, you are never too late to learn.  I quit making assumptions about other's abilities or their background.  I'm a retired electrician with a background in electronics.  I had a client that had some lighting switches wired incorrectly which took me five minutes to figure out and repair.  The client expressed their appreciation for the quick diagnosis and repair.  I told him the this wasn't rocket science, he told me that this hadn't help him.  He was a retired engineer for Aerojet, a rocket scientist. :thumbup2:

I hope you have a safe and enjoyable fourth of July.  My wife and I are having friends over for BBQ pork spareribs, potato salad, corn on the cob, and cold water melon.  The friends will help destroy the evidence.

#13 joan69

joan69
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2014 - 09:43 AM

hi !! I think I solved my blinking Led lamp issue. I went to HP and found the section on the issue. It appears to be an adapter problem. Correct me if I am wrong. This time of year in central Fl, we get afternoon storms and can get many lightening strikes. Although I have surge protectors, and surge protection through my energy company, we get these little zaps when you think the power is going out, but it does not. This must effect our computers somehow?. Anyway.. the section said to reset the adapter by unplugging it from the outlet for 5 minutes. So far so good.

#14 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2014 - 10:01 AM

Great, Joan.  I lived in Orlando and Boca Raton years ago, and I remember we used to call FP&L Florida Flicker and Flash.  :whistle: Those flickers really did a job on the big mainframe computers back in the day.  You were smart to find that on the HP web site.  It sounds like you're protected from surges, but those times when the lights flicker can indeed cause problems with electrical appliances over time.  A UPS (aka battery backup) might help next time when you're trying to figure out what to do with an extra $50 or thereabouts.  

Happy 4th! 

#15 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,031 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2014 - 11:23 AM

Hi Joan,

Knowing that HP recognizes this as a problem with the adapter you need to have someone use a voltage meter set on a DC scale read the out put voltage to make sure it is 11.1V DC.

The male plug on the adapter is where you need to read the voltage.  The out side of the connector is the negative, the center whole is the positive.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users