Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Asus laptop power problem

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 rk4262

rk4262

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2014 - 09:41 AM

I got up yesterday and my laptop wouldn't start up. I usually just leave it plugged in with the battery removed, but I had forgotten that and left the battery in for a few days.

Anyway it wouldn't even give me a power light, I removed the battery and all the lights come on and the hdd starts to spin up, but then just quits.

What are my options?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:16 AM

Posted 02 July 2014 - 11:21 AM

Leave the battery out, disconnect the power adapter, then press and hold down the power button for thirty seconds.  Plug the power adapter back in and see if it starts.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 rk4262

rk4262
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2014 - 04:45 PM

Deep discharge did not work. Is there anything else or should I just start checking to see if it's dead?

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2014 - 09:15 AM

If you have a voltmeter, set it to the DC scale and read the output of the power adapter.  The proper voltage will be listed on the adapter.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 rk4262

rk4262
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2014 - 09:46 AM

After the deep discharge I left it plugged in for about 30 minutes, when I went back I touched the keyboard and almost burned my hand. It was about 2 minutes from catching on fire. I got a feeling it's now a paperweight.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2014 - 09:52 AM

That's way too hot.  If the motherboard and PCU got this hot it probably is toast.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users