Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Acer won't boot

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 rk4262

rk4262

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2014 - 09:30 AM

I have an Acer aspire laptop, I have been dual booting Windows 7 and Ubuntu. Don't ask me why but in a very mad spell I inserted the Linux live CD, and formatted the entire hdd to fat32. Completely wiped the whole drive.

I get up this morning and try to reinstall Windows, and I can't get the pc to boot to the installation media. It goes through post perfectly, then it gives a blank screen with a flashing cursor, but the pc is completely unresponsive or locked up.

I then attempted to boot to my Linux installation disk, got the same blank screen and flashing cursor. So I try to boot the Linux live CD, same outcome.

I can go into the BIOS, and change whatever. So I then tried using my external usb DVD drive, with the same outcome.

What else can I do?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,364 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 AM

Posted 02 July 2014 - 10:12 AM

Windows 7's format should be NTFS.

What is the model of this Aspire?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 rk4262

rk4262
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2014 - 04:43 PM

I know it should be ntfs, however at the moment I was p.o.'ed, and I figured that I could go back and reformat, when I reinstalled.

It is a "5734Z". What I don't understand is why it won't recognize and load the DVD drive. If you put in a new hdd the computer recognizes the DVD drive and loads the install disc.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,926 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 AM

Posted 02 July 2014 - 09:05 PM

Can you access the boot menu by tapping F12 at boot. If not it may be disabled in BIOS.

http://acer.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3182/~/why-cant-i-get-the-f12-boot-menu-to-work-on-my-notebook-or-netbook%3F

#5 rk4262

rk4262
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2014 - 04:55 PM

The CD/DVD drive was listed as first boot. I download a copy of GParted and ran it and found out that the entire disk had been listed as logical, and the boot flag turned off. So I got that fixed and now it works. 

Thanks to everyone that responded. 

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,364 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 AM

Posted 05 July 2014 - 09:03 AM

Happy computing, :thumbup2:

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users