Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

linux mint qiana 17 wont install on laptop

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 lakelad

lakelad

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 AM

Posted 02 July 2014 - 08:55 AM

hello there.

new to the forum. i decided to erase the hard drive on an old IBM T42 laptop that was installed with win xp pro so that i could do a fresh install of linux mint, but now on start-up i get the IBM intro screen then it goes blank just a black screen, i used a hard disk eraser to erase the hard drive. i have tried using other disks just to see if anything happens but no joy.

any help or advice would be appreciated

thanks 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,918 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 AM

Posted 02 July 2014 - 09:13 AM

I believe the problem is your compiter is not PAE compatible. Only Mint 13 supports non-PAE computers.See the last post on the first page and the second post on second page of this thread.

PAE required for 32-bit ISOs

The 32-bit ISOs of Linux Mint 14 use a PAE kernel. If your processor is not compatible with PAE please use Linux Mint 13 Maya LTS instead. Linux Mint 13 is supported until 2017.

Edited by JohnC_21, 02 July 2014 - 09:13 AM.

#3 Kaosu

Kaosu

• Members
  • 173 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 AM

Posted 02 July 2014 - 11:09 PM

hello there.

new to the forum. i decided to erase the hard drive on an old IBM T42 laptop that was installed with win xp pro so that i could do a fresh install of linux mint, but now on start-up i get the IBM intro screen then it goes blank just a black screen, i used a hard disk eraser to erase the hard drive. i have tried using other disks just to see if anything happens but no joy.

any help or advice would be appreciated

thanks 

Did you successfully install Mint after erasing the hard drive? Are you having an issue loading into the installer? From what I gather you erased the drive, but are unable to begin the installation process? Please be more detailed so I can better assist you.

Check your BIOS settings and make sure the boot order is set to boot from other media (CD, etc.) before your disk drive. Hitting "F1" when you see the IBM logo usually works with this brand. You can always search for your particular model online if "F1" does not work, though.

Edited by Kaosu, 02 July 2014 - 11:11 PM.

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,985 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 AM

Posted 03 July 2014 - 11:51 AM

If this is the first time you have made a bootable Linux install disk, it could be that you failed to burn the disk properly....that's a common problem.

Did you first see if the disk would run as a LIVE disk before installing? That is always the best to do. Any compatibility issue other than

the hdd would show during using as LIVE. LIVE only writes to the RAM.....not to the hdd.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 lakelad

lakelad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2014 - 05:55 AM

hello and thanks for all the advice. apologize for the delay in getting back.

i now have the linux mint 13 . put it in laptop but no joy.

im  a novice at all this so please bear with me.  

turned laptop on and pressed F1 key which took me to the ''entering IBM bios setup utility' from there it had a list which read ''config-date/time- security- startup- restart.

i switched it all off then on restarting i pressed the F12 key, this took me to preparing boot device list.  from there this is the list that followed -(2) boot menu- floppy drive-( 3) ATAPI RW/DVD DRI-( 5) IDE HDDO: HTS5484040M9ATOO-LPM

(6)- PCI LAN  IBA GE SLOT 0208V121

any advice would be much appreciated and once again sorry for the delay getting back to you all.

regards 

#6 heyyou325

heyyou325

• Members
  • 328 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 PM

Posted 04 July 2014 - 07:42 AM

1  are you burning the iso file with an iso burner.  I didn't when I started, and understand that is common.  2  I downloaded a mint 17 qiana 64bit ( I only have 32) so it won't work, mint 16 cinnamon worked great.  3 some downloads that size either don't finish, or don't download properly (I've never really figured out how to check the signature to check them).  4  I believe if you are using a dvd your boot from dvd drive has to be first.  If it is usb flash drive, I've never accomplished that) the flash drive has to be in when you set your boot order to see it.   I'm still trying to figure out the easy things, but those are 3 mistakes I've made, and the 4th is what I remember hearing.  I was thinking about getting a thinkpad, now I might rethink if I can't use the newer linux, or is it just mint?

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,918 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2014 - 08:44 AM

Put the disk in the drive and during boot tap F12. Select ( 3) ATAPI RW/DVD DRI- and the computer should boot from the DVD. Try Mint 17 first and see how that goes.

#8 lakelad

lakelad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2014 - 11:26 AM

tried the F12 method but still nothing. don't think it can be the CDs themselves as they were bought online just in-case i messed up with downloading them.

tried numerous CD and DVDs but still nothing. 

#9 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,597 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2014 - 11:38 AM

tried the F12 method but still nothing. don't think it can be the CDs themselves as they were bought online just in-case i messed up with downloading them.

tried numerous CD and DVDs but still nothing. 

Explain how you made the cd, and you should not use a DVD-RW as I have read that this can cause problems.  I have used them though and they did work fine.  I'm guessing if they are new it is no big deal.  Did you choose option #3 that looks like the option you want.  You will have to "Image" the DVD NOT! COPY, I did this in MacriumReflect and was very easy, these guys will help you out as will i if i see you back here.  I think you should have left the Old XP OS on there for a while, you don't need to remove it to use LInux.  Very easy to install a dual boot system.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#10 lakelad

lakelad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2014 - 12:24 PM

the linux 13 and 17 were both bought online and both CDs arrived the other day.  yes i did choose option 3 but still nothing, i agree i should never have left the old XP on ther for a while

#11 lakelad

lakelad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2014 - 12:27 PM

what i meant to say was that i SHOULD have left XP on for a while.

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,918 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2014 - 02:49 PM

There may be something wrong with the optical drive. It may be possible to boot from a USB key. Do you have access to another computer with an optical drive?

Edit: If you did not erase the Recovery Partition it may be possible to do a factory reset. Turn off the computer. Boot up and at the same time tap the F11 key. The recovery manager may appear, If you have an Access IBM button you can press that at boot up.

Edited by JohnC_21, 04 July 2014 - 02:57 PM.

#13 lakelad

lakelad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2014 - 03:40 PM

think i must have erased the recovery partition. when i press F11 i get the start up interrupt menu which tells me to press one of the following keys to continue== ESC to resume normal setup== F1 to enter the IBN BIOS setup utility== F12 to choose a temporary startup device.

#14 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,597 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2014 - 03:43 PM

what i meant to say was that i SHOULD have left XP on for a while.

I was going to say, have you been drinking? lol

Was there a CD-ROM choice?

My skills are very limited but I don't even know if you are in the right place, there are more than one F-Key functions that you can use.  You need the one that will show you the "Boot Order" not "boot device list" as you said...Maybe?  I will have to go back and quote you on that post to read easier.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#15 lakelad

lakelad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2014 - 04:16 PM

in the boot priority order: which has given me 8 options so i assume its the rw/dvd choice ? excluded from the boot order is IDE HDD2 and ATAPI CD1.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users