Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need help with graphic card problem.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Arcannys

Arcannys

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:20 AM

Posted 02 July 2014 - 05:43 AM

Hello!

I've been coping with this problem for a couple months now and finally decided to try to fix it and/or get a new graphic card.
Every now and then the screen goes crazy with distorted images and colours and the computer freezes afterwards.

Sometimes when all this starts happening i am able to quickly close the browser and/or game im running and it fixes itself, with a "your video card controller had an error but recovered properly from it" message. But this doesnt work most of the time and the computer freezes anyway.

I'm 90% sure it's a graphic card problem since i can still hear whatever video/song im running in the background after the screen goes black, before it eventualy freezes completely.

I've also noticed this happens more frequently when i'm running a movie+game in different screens. Or when i'm running a heavy graphic game such as Bioshock 2 or even Counter Strike: Source.

With that said, it doesnt happen too often, maybe 1 time/day and sometimes it doesnt even happen at all.

I'd be happy if you guys could help me identify the problem or tell me if i should buy a new graphic card.

This are my specs (built my computer myself 5 or 6 years ago):

Intel® Core™ i7 CPU

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 285

6GB RAM

Let me know if you need more info.

Thanks in advance and sorry for my english,

Arcannys~

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:20 PM

Posted 02 July 2014 - 06:10 AM

Hi, this sort of issue could be caused by overheating or due to a bad overclock. We will first check the temperature of the graphics card itself. Please download HW Monitor and take a screenshot of it during idle and after you have played your games for 30 minutes. After having both of the screenshots, please upload it to a image host like Imgur and post the link to the pictures in your next post. 

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#3 Arcannys

Arcannys
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2014 - 02:57 PM

Thanks for the quick reply.
here are the pics:

This is after 1h of watching a stream in 1 monitor and playing a game in the other

http://puu.sh/9TxEX/99be56fa6e.png

And this is after i went AFK for 40 min after turning off all relevant proceses and both my screens.

http://puu.sh/9TyUV/9894e73ca1.png

This time it did not crash.

Hope i did it right!

#4 alonadel

alonadel

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:20 AM

Posted 02 July 2014 - 03:03 PM

Those temperatures are pretty warm regardless, though not in the death zone as it were. i would suggest having hw monitor running on the system and grab a snap of its read out from right after you get the screen going nuts problem etc. 

How are you with keeping the inside of your case clean? If you know what your doing, ground yourself with a grounding cable to the case of the pc or some other grounded spot and open the case with the power off. 

Take a look and see how dusty it is in there, if its a mess blast it out with a good can o compressed air. The fan on the video card can get all gummed up which can cause the overheat. 

#5 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,018 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:20 AM

Posted 02 July 2014 - 08:09 PM

it could also be a power supply issue. i have a gtx 285, but i don't game on it. even if you have plenty of watts, the amps may not be sufficient..  the 2 pci-e 6 pin connectors for it  are 12 volt so the power supply 12 volt amps should be around 50.  i was taken aback that your temperatures were in the high 70s but your fan speed was still at 40%.  you can obtain evga precision x and load it up and you will have the manual fan control feature with it. you can set it to stay at any % you want.

as stated above, there could be an air flow obstruction. it could be overall case airflow, or the card itself or both. most users just blow canned compressed air through the heatsink to clear it rather than disassemble the whole thing and clean it manually. i choose to physically clean mine, but it is just a preference.

the idle temperature looks about right though, those cards do run a little warm.

if you are checking into getting another card to update,  i would definitely recommend looking  into a new power supply also.

Edited by synergy513, 02 July 2014 - 08:13 PM.

Moore's Law : 4d Graph in Progress

#6 Arcannys

Arcannys
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2014 - 08:12 AM

Thanks for the replies.

I did disassemble my computer manually and holy crap it was dirty... Hope this fixes the problem.
I'll come back to this thread if the problem persists.

This is how HW looks like after gaming a while. Temperatures definetly look cooler, but im not expert so.. ill let u guys take a look at it.

http://puu.sh/9V20e/0851cb9ee1.png

Thanks! 

Great forum

#7 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:20 PM

Posted 04 July 2014 - 08:39 PM

Those temperatures after you cleaned it out, is much much better then before, hopefully this would stop the freezing issues you were experiencing and one other thing, don't forget to update to the latest Nvidia drivers.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users