Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

High CPU usage; can't find the problem.

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 NguyenAntho

NguyenAntho

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:32 PM

Posted 01 July 2014 - 11:47 PM

Hi there. This is my first time posting onto this website. I ran into a problem last night after I restarted my computer, where any game that I start or even slightly intensive program I open, my CPU usage raises from ~14% to ~100% instantly. I have tried this on many programs such as Minecraft, any games on Steam, Firefall, and even some of Malwarebytes when I was scanning if a virus was causing this. None of my anti-virus software detected a virus, so I'm suspicious as to what the problem may be. Here are my computer specs:

Processor: Intel® Core™ i5-3550 CPU @ 3.30GHz (4 CPUs), ~3.3GHz
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT 
Memory: 8192MB RAM

Request any extra info if needed. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,889 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2014 - 12:37 AM

NguyenAntho, Welcome to BC Forums! :)

Lets see what we can find out. Can you post a Speccy shot for us to look over? 

• Go to Piriform's website, and click the big download.png button.

• Next, click Download from Piriform.com (the FileHippo link requires an extra click). Or if you want to use a portable version of Speccy (which doesn't require installation), click the builds page link and download the portable version.

• You will now be asked where you want to save the file. The best place to put it is the Desktop, as it will be easy to find later.

• After the file finishes downloading, you are ready to run Speccy. If you downloaded the installer, simply double-click on it and follow the prompts until installation is complete. If you downloaded the portable version, you will need to unzip it before use. Right-click the ZIP file and click Extract all. Click Next. Open up the extracted folder and double-click on Speccy.

• Once inside Speccy, it will look similar to this (with your computer's specifications, of course):
    p22004369.gif
  • Now, at the top, click File Publish Snapshot
  • You will see the following prompt:
    p22004371.gif
  • Click Yes > then Copy to Clipboard
    p22004372.gif
  • Now, once you are back in the forum topic you are posting in, click the p22004370.gif button. Right-click in the empty space of the Reply box and click Paste. Then, click Add Reply below the Reply box.
  • Congrats! You have just posted your specs!

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#3 NguyenAntho

NguyenAntho
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2014 - 12:52 AM

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/rVlmU8Rq44Ti2Uf2jIPuJMr

#4 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,889 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2014 - 01:03 AM

You've got a Lot of Chrome applications going on the background. Need to get someone else to take a peek. 

Please hang on. 

Thanks,

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#5 NguyenAntho

NguyenAntho
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2014 - 01:04 AM

Could it be from my 2 tabs? Or what?

#6 Willy22

Willy22

• Members
  • 942 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:32 AM

Posted 02 July 2014 - 01:05 AM

- CPU temperature is VERY high: 95 C.

- Open Task Manager (CTRL-Shift-Esc), select "Processes", "Show processes of all users" and click on "Processor" to sort on CPU usage. Which process/program uses LOTS of CPU time ?

#7 NguyenAntho

NguyenAntho
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2014 - 01:07 AM

System Idle Process uses ~84.

#8 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,889 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2014 - 01:17 AM

That CPU & RAM should be handle 2 tabs with ease. Probably more like 20. 

That's a good i5 & really good RAM timing. 

Cat

#9 NguyenAntho

NguyenAntho
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2014 - 01:18 AM

That CPU & RAM should be handle 2 tabs with ease. Probably more like 20. 

That's a good i5 & really good RAM timing. 

Cat

Then what could be the problem?

#10 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,889 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2014 - 01:22 AM

Your CPU is sizzling (5C before the boiling point) & your GPU is hot at 69C also. 

What type of CPU fan are you using? 

Do you have exhaust fans on the top & rear? 

Do you have an intake pointing towards your GPU? 

Heat is the issue here. I have no doubts about that. 

Cat

#11 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,790 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 AM

Posted 02 July 2014 - 01:28 AM

What type of CPU fan are you using?

Is the fan working? Are the blades clean is the Heat sink clean are the spaces between the fins dust free.

34ras1e.jpg

Edited by NickAu1, 02 July 2014 - 04:04 AM.

#12 NguyenAntho

NguyenAntho
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2014 - 01:58 AM

I just opened my PC to find that my CPU fan was slightly mounted off and was not correctly put on. My CPU fan is the default fan that came along with my i5 processor. I believed that I solved the problem, but I will come back if I find any other issues. Thanks guys! :)

#13 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,889 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2014 - 12:45 PM

Glad to have been of assistance.  :)

Had you not caught this before you did, there could have been extensive damage to your components. 

You may wish to keep Speccy installed, the app is good to have as a diagnostic tool. Note that everything you see on your end, such as your licensing information & real IP address, aren't shown when posting to forums, to protect your privacy. 

Best of Luck,

Cat

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users