Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lenovo y510p Windows 8.1 Safe mode won't boot.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ZeusXan

ZeusXan

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:36 PM

Posted 01 July 2014 - 11:16 PM

As I explained in another thread. When I attempt to boot into Safe Mode, only a black screen appears and rarely the safe mode background flashes for a second. I'm able to move my cursor around, but that's it. I do not understand why this is happening and what I can do to remedy this situation. I would appreciate any type of help. Thank you. 

Edited by DualShear, 01 July 2014 - 11:28 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,207 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2014 - 08:22 AM

I'm wondering if the graphics adapter used on the computer is not compatible with the generic VGA drive Windows 8.1 uses for safe mode. Has the driver for the graphics adapter ever been updated? I noticed this on the specs. If you have the model with the two adapters, it's possible they conflict with the safe mode video driver. I saw a post where the computer had both an Intel and Nvidia adapter.

• Dual (2x) NVIDIA® GeForce® GT755M 2GB (on select models) via Ultrabay
  • Single (1x) NVIDIA® GeForce® GT755M 2GB

I'm not sure it would make a difference but what happens when you disable Secure Boot and Fast Boot in BIOS. Does it let you access safe mode then?

#3 ZeusXan

ZeusXan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2014 - 12:37 AM

It has. I have updated my nvidia drivers. It's not the most recent. The whole reason I wanted to access safe mode was to update them actually. I planned to use this third party program to wipe my drivers, but I wanted to do it in safe mode. The reason I want to wipe them is that I have been having issues with a blue border appearing in full screen for games that I enable compatibility mode for. (Basically look up skyrim blue border fullscreen. That's the issue I'm having with all my games but only if I enable compatibility mode and try to play full screen with it.)

I was actually curious if I could update the generic video driver? Or intel driver. I'm not exactly sure what the driver is, but I do know that when I uninstall both nvidia drivers, I am still able to see my desktop. Knowing this from past experience. 

I do have the sli version, yes. Dual 755m version. I don't know if disabling sli from the nvidia control panel will make any difference in the matter. 

There is no fast boot option in bios, but there is a secure boot. I tested it just now and it's a no go unfortunately. :(

Thank you. I appreciate the help :)

Edited by DualShear, 03 July 2014 - 12:52 AM.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,207 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2014 - 07:37 AM

Unfortunately, I know of no way to update the Windows generic VGA driver. Disabling SLI in the control panel may help but I never came across anything in a search where SLI prevented safe mode. My guess is you were trying to run DriverSweeper in safe mode, correct?

Just want to make you aware of this but I don't think it pertains to you.

#5 ZeusXan

ZeusXan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2014 - 05:37 PM

Unfortunately, I know of no way to update the Windows generic VGA driver. Disabling SLI in the control panel may help but I never came across anything in a search where SLI prevented safe mode. My guess is you were trying to run DriverSweeper in safe mode, correct?

Just want to make you aware of this but I don't think it pertains to you.

Thanks. I'm aware of it. 

I can't say that I give up on this. It's just been such a pain that I'm unmotivated to continue trying to make it work. I have looked more into this and found some pending.xml files made a few days before I got my laptop. Seems like my laptop was having some problems before being sent out. Figures. Thanks for the help. I'm gonna continue trying to make this work. If I do find a solution. I'll be sure to post it on here. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users