Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Make a partition in my WD hard drive bootable?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Oni106

Oni106

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 AM

Posted 01 July 2014 - 07:54 PM

Laptop OS: VIsta ultimate 32 bit

external HDD: Western Digital 1TB

Primary/Active Partition Y:  882 GB

Primary Partition G: 48.8 GB

used VISTA disk management utility for partitioning.

I have a 1TB WD hard drive and using diskpart command I created a new primary partition which was I assigned to drive letter G: (NTFS). THe active partition was drive Y: (ntfs).  How am I going to make the second partition bootable?

My plan is to make the 2nd partition (G) bootable for win7 os installer.

I already tried marking the second partition as active but neither of the softwares Rufus, WIn7 dvd tool nor Poweriso detected my newly created partition.

I have a lot important files in my active partition and i don't want to mess up with it. Can anybody help me safely make the 2nd partition bootable without deleting any files from the active partition??

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 PM

Posted 01 July 2014 - 08:34 PM

As long as you're just talking about Vista and Windows 7 (and not Linux), you can just install Windows 7 in the new partition, and it will set up with a dual boot configuration.  Windows 7 will become the default, but you can change that with the System applet of the Control Panel if desired.  The tool I use for partitioning is the Easeus Partition Manager which I've been using without any problems the last 5 years.  With a dual boot system each OS can access the other's partition, so there's no problem accessing files.  Obviously before making any kind of change like this, I strongly recommend backing your system up to an external hard drive.  That WD 1 TB drive should fill that bill nicely.   :thumbup2:

Good luck.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#3 Oni106

Oni106
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2014 - 09:13 PM

As long as you're just talking about Vista and Windows 7 (and not Linux), you can just install Windows 7 in the new partition, and it will set up with a dual boot configuration.  Windows 7 will become the default, but you can change that with the System applet of the Control Panel if desired.  The tool I use for partitioning is the Easeus Partition Manager which I've been using without any problems the last 5 years.  With a dual boot system each OS can access the other's partition, so there's no problem accessing files.  Obviously before making any kind of change like this, I strongly recommend backing your system up to an external hard drive.  That WD 1 TB drive should fill that bill nicely.   :thumbup2:

Good luck.

Thanks mate.. I'll try to install win 7 to my new partition and let's see how it goes.. 

#4 Oni106

Oni106
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2014 - 11:23 PM

wpgwpg I wasn't able to install the OS directly to my drive I'm getting an error Windows 7: Setup does not support USB or IEEE 1394 Port..

but the good thing is I was able to make my drive a bootable OS installer..

http://kmwoley.com/blog/?p=345

I'll  just share what I did..

for those who want their External Hdd/ USb work as a bootable OS installer...follow this!

--worked for me..

1. Create a Partition
    go to -Disk Management
    >Shrink Volume to desired amount (you willl now have unallocated disk space)
    >Run elevated CMD
    >type diskpart
    >type list disk
    > select disk # where your drive is located (in my case it's disk 1) (select disk 1)
    >create partition primary
    >format FS=NTFS
    >list partition
    >select your new partition ex: (select partition 1)
    >type active
    >assign
    >exit

2. make your drive Bootable

1. *if you have a win7/vista cd go ahead and insert it
        change the directory to dvd's boot directory let's say it's drive f:
    run CMD    
    type F: enter
    type cd: f:\boot e

*if you dont have a cd and just have an iso file.. use poweriso to mount your iso file to a virtual disk
    let's say the file is mounted to cd drive d:

CMD
        type d:
        type cd: d:\boot

2. type bootsect /nt60 + the drive letter where your external drive is inserted
        let's say it's drive Y:
        type bootsect /nt60 Y:

there you go. close cmd.

3. Copy ALL OS installation files to the drive -

using win7/vista CD- just copy it directly to the hard drive
    using PowerISO - open the bootable iso image EXtrACT it to the hard drive

4. Restart and Set your BIOS to boot from usb..

If there's another way you think I can make another bootable partition with the live OS running in it.. I'll appreciate it much mate... I just want to maximize the space in my external HDD .. I wanna use it as an installer, backup, a rescue disk , and if possible alternative OS to boot from.  just in case my OS fails..

#5 Skycoc

Skycoc

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:04 AM

Posted 02 November 2014 - 12:16 PM

Wanted to say thank you, it worked for me greatly ! Now I have a clean reinstall on my computer, through the usb HDD as the windows dvd.

About step 3 : you actually need to simply copy the files from the iso. So either you open your disk, or you mount the iso, then you explore it and copy all the files (ofc including the hidden & system ones) with the regular windows explorer. Of course, you can also do it through cmd or through PowerISO.

Than you again, the instructions you detailed worked for me flawlessly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users