Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Save As (Not Responding)

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 EffectiveBones484

EffectiveBones484

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 PM

Posted 01 July 2014 - 07:05 PM

Woot, 2,000th Win8 Thread!!!

Anyway, I am having problems with Notepad especially. Occasionally, Save As will not respond, and has sometimes taken over 2 minutes to start responding again. This only happens for the first time I log in. This is a shared computer, so I log off and on very frequently. This is a recent problem, it started within the last few days, and I don't know what the problem is. Perhaps it's just more deterioration of the OS.

I build Magic: The Gathering decks as a hobby and I use Notepad for most of this. It is getting very annoying.

Anyone have any suggestions? I tried looking it up on Google but I couldn't find the exact problem I am having.

Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:25 PM

Posted 01 July 2014 - 08:34 PM

Hi,

When things get slow for me I start with clearing caches and temp files. Moving on from there I run Malware Bytes Antimalware and /or Super AntiSpyWare along with my installed security program. If there's no infection present that usually does the trick.  

Keep us posted

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2014 - 08:42 PM

It would help if you downloaded and ran Speccy.   After running it click File -> Publish snapshot... Copy and paste the link it gives you into your next post.  When multiple users share a computer it takes more memory, so I'm suspecting you might need more RAM.  We'll know more after seeing that Speccy report.

You can download Speccy from here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/speccy/

Edited by wpgwpg, 01 July 2014 - 08:45 PM.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#4 EffectiveBones484

EffectiveBones484
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2014 - 05:29 PM

Still, the problem persists. As a test today, I saved a 7x7 PNG image in Paint today, and I still got Save As (Not Responding)

dicke - The computer runs at perfect speed and I have Firefox set to clear history, cache, cookies, etc. upon exit. Webroot hasn't found an infection. Do you have any other suggestions?

wpgwpg - Here is the Speccy snapshot:

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/TAJGBrMZmqeEgRfmcCmhawQ

Also, the Save As problem only happens with the Windows utilities and OpenOffice. My computer has no problem saving files for games.

#5 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2014 - 07:02 PM

Two things I see in Speccy.  First your CPU is running at 60 degrees C.  That's too hot, you want it under 50.  You might want to download SpeedFan to see if it gives the same temps.  If you haven't removed the cover and blown out the dust bunnies, air vents, and the CPU fan fins in the last 6 - 12 mos., you might need to do that.

Second I see you're running a downlevel version of Java.  Java has had a multitude of security exposures with it, so I'd get rid of it if I could, and at least update it from update 55 to the current update 60 if you can't.  

You have 8 GB of RAM and in the Speccy report you're only using 29% of it, so you're in good shape on that score.

I think I'd try two things next.  First I'd install Malwarebytes, get it up to date and do a scan.  When the scan finishes, click Quarantine All.  Then for diagnostic purposes  download minitoolbox and run it with the following boxes checked:

List last 10 Event Viewer Errors

List Installed Programs

List Users, Partitions, and Memory size

List Minidump files

Copy the resulting log and paste into a reply here.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#6 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 AM

Posted 03 July 2014 - 03:43 AM

For your CPU - Operating temperature  up to  71.3°C

Please ignore the post above as you are well within your "normal" temperature operating range.

Wait for someone else with correct knowledge to help you a bit better.

#7 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2014 - 03:23 PM

Still, the problem persists. As a test today, I saved a 7x7 PNG image in Paint today, and I still got Save As (Not Responding)

dicke - The computer runs at perfect speed and I have Firefox set to clear history, cache, cookies, etc. upon exit. Webroot hasn't found an infection. Do you have any other suggestions?

wpgwpg - Here is the Speccy snapshot:

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/TAJGBrMZmqeEgRfmcCmhawQ

Also, the Save As problem only happens with the Windows utilities and OpenOffice. My computer has no problem saving files for games.

Have you tried one of the other notepad like programs? I use Textpad for some of my work

http://www.textpad.com/

might help to isolate the problem

Keep us posted

Dick E

#8 EffectiveBones484

EffectiveBones484
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2014 - 05:51 PM

I am not sure how, but the problem seems to have disappeared. I have a bad habit of keeping all of my windows open and just "Locking" my account, which might have been part of it. Earlier today I did a full sign out, and when I used notepad for something else, Save As came right up and let me save right away. I also ran a second test, it took a few seconds for the Save As to realize where it was (Just said "This folder is empty" for my desktop), but it let me save the file. I looked into Textpad, looks pretty good from the screenshots, and I may download it. Thanks for all of the suggestions.

#9 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2014 - 06:12 PM

Glad things are coming into focus.

I sometimes tell folks that the chair / keyboard interface is the most important part of having a great session. It must be fully engaged at all times in order for you to benefit from your session/experiences.

Textpad isn't free but you can use it a while to see if it's worth the fee. For checking files before they are input to a database I find it most helpful and am able to edit the small corrections needed to keep things from getting messy and maybe crashing

Keep us posted

Dick E

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users