Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A question regarding Windows.old folder

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Ender1981

Ender1981

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 PM

Posted 01 July 2014 - 04:39 PM

Hi guys

This is possibly going to be a silly question, however I would like to be 100% sure that I can delete this folder.

I have re-installed Windows 7 over a previous Windows 7 due to having to upgrade my computer hardware, however I have this folder labeled Windows.old that is chomping up hdd space.  Will it affect my current Windows install if I delete this folder, or is there a specific way to remove it from my system?

Thanking you for your assistance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:51 PM

Posted 01 July 2014 - 04:44 PM

You can delete it whenever you're sure there's nothing in it you don't need to keep.  What you have running is completely independent of the windows.old folder.  The install process just puts it there so you can retrieve any of the old stuff you didn't save beforehand.

Good luck.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#3 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:04:51 PM

Posted 01 July 2014 - 04:47 PM

You can safely delete Windows.old without it affecting the current install.

Windows.old is a backup of your system created when you reinstall Windows.

Before deleting it, make sure there is nothing in it that you want to keep on the new install-documents, pictures, favorites, music, etc. Copy or move from Windows.old to wherever you want it to be.

I have deleted many Windows.old folders over the years and nothing was affected.

#4 Ender1981

Ender1981
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 PM

Posted 01 July 2014 - 04:48 PM

Thank you very much for your advice, I will delete it immediately :)

#5 B-boy/StyLe/

B-boy/StyLe/

Bleepin' Freestyler

• Malware Response Team
  • 8,307 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 AM

Posted 01 July 2014 - 05:07 PM

Btw Disk Cleanup also offer to remove the folder:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/how-do-i-remove-the-windows-old-folder

cXfZ4wS.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users