Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Tavaro / Search.net Infection? Very odd

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 picturecar

picturecar

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 AM

Posted 01 July 2014 - 04:18 PM

Hi I have scanned Windows 7x64 system w/ Malwarebytes , Superantispyware portable, adwcleaner, hitman pro, Avast in safemode and regular after rkill and autoruns, then deleting al temp files.  Went to IE (only browser loaded) and deleted personal settings unticked proxyserver and checked files in win32.  No where in registry is Tavaro or search.com listed. can not find it in explorer as well.  Reset IE and set homepage to Yahoo.  When I turn it on Tavaro search comes up ad www.search.com is address listed. 

OK I am stumped.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 AM

Posted 01 July 2014 - 04:32 PM

You can try these tools: AdwCleaner, Junk Removal Tool, TDSSkiller that you can download from here:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/adwcleaner/

Good luck.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#3 InadequateInfirmity

InadequateInfirmity

I Gots Me A Certified Edumication

• Banned
  • 5,180 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2014 - 04:34 PM

Right Click on Ie icon and select properties.

In the Shortcut tab, in the Target field, remove the hxxp://www-search.net  Basically, there should be only the path to browser executable file. Nothing more.
These are the default shortcut path that should be in your Target box, if the www-search.net is there, then you should remove it.

Edited by Lazerchicken, 01 July 2014 - 04:35 PM.

#4 picturecar

picturecar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2014 - 04:52 PM

Thanks for quick responses  No luck with software, But after Lazerchicken's request, I found IE was only on the taskbar.  Having a devil of a time deleting it.  Is there an easy way?

I did put a shortcut direct to the IE program and it runs directly to MS default page no problem.  So the pinned IE is probably the problem.  I just need to delete it. 

This started when a friend loaded Firefox from the first place on Yahoo search engine.  He knows now to look before clicking.  I have cleaned and recleaned this system several times with up to date everything could think of.

So I am thinking the pinned IE is the last holdout and is not seen by any of the software.

Thanks again wpgwpg and Laserchicken.

#5 InadequateInfirmity

InadequateInfirmity

I Gots Me A Certified Edumication

• Banned
  • 5,180 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2014 - 04:54 PM

Right Click the pinned IE then right click again and select properties then follow the instructions in my previous post.

#6 picturecar

picturecar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2014 - 05:24 PM

Yeah there was no "Properties" on the pinned one, nor Delete.  I clicked unpin from taskbar and it was gone on reboot of IE.  I scanned system with above tools and no sign of malware anywhere in logs.  Thanks guys the hint was looking for "Properties".  So in future best to delete and pinned browsers and clean system and then re-establish any shortcuts.

Thanks, it is good now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users