Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Realplayer Question

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 graveangel

graveangel

• Members
  • 399 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 AM

Posted 29 May 2006 - 10:54 AM

Ive been running real player for quite a while now and like everyone these days,about a year ago decided to back up and copy my complete cd collection to the Hard drive and now use the pc as a music player instead of using the cd's themselves. The stupid thing i did was copy these to my main hard drive,which i guess,slows things down.Im using over 5gig on music and i have a second hard drive. So my question is this:
Can i transfer my music to my second hard drive,delete it from my main drive to make more space, and then still have the music list in real player locate them like it usually does?
What i dont want to do,if it can be helped,is transfer all the music but then have to start again from scratch with Realplayer and transfer them all in one by one.

Any ideas,or does anyone know?

Thanks
....And on the 8th day God said, "When my children are intelligent, and create the Computer, for my sake may they never screw around with the registry or subscribe to AOL"Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nosnhoj#3

nosnhoj#3

• Members
  • 245 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 PM

Posted 31 May 2006 - 11:59 PM

Hello,

Any time you move data from one place to another you will have some indexing problems arise. RealPlayer creates a directory of sorts with the path to each track included in playlists, and/or info files. That is how you get a workable Library, and if you have ever moved around files just from one folder to another within your main music folder, you can see how realplayer won't be able to find the moved files, and asks you if you want to repair the missing file paths.

I would imagine that moving the files to a totally different drive may lead to some re-working of your music collection.

The question is, how big is your main drive in which your music collection resides? Also, other than the 5gigs that your music takes up, what percentage of your drive is being utilized by the rest of your system?

If your main drive is 80gigs or more, and you are using 50% of it in total (including music files), then the chances of your music files impacting system performance shouldn't be all that significant. It all really depends on the size of disk you have that determines performance.

If you have a medium to large disk, I would just leave it there, (unless you really need that disk room) and just do a bit of spring cleaning on your disk. Defragmenting your disk would help keep your files optimized for faster access when called upon, and getting rid of the files you don't need wouldn't hurt either. We all have em.

You may also think about lowering the bit rate of at least some of the files if you havn't already. This would depend on the format that you use for your audio files, .mp3, .mp4/m4a, .wma, .rl, .........

If you could post a little more detail, some more specific feedback would surely be available.

Hope this helps,

nos :thumbsup:
When I'm right, I'm right....
And when I'm wrong, I could have been right....
So I'm still right, cause I could have been wrong.

#3 graveangel

graveangel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 399 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2006 - 06:58 AM

Hi Nos,thanks for the reply. :thumbsup:

Both of my drives are 30gig each,ive around 9gig left on my main drive that is free,i was just wondering if it would improve performance if i moved them.To be honest im thinking of just deleting them and starting from scratch on the other drive. Do you know if i can copy all of my tracks to a DvD disc,that way it would be more easier to move them,or would file transfer work?

Im sure i will get this all sorted,just peed at myself for not thinking about all this when i copied them to the drive. Aghhhhh....... :flowers:

Although in saying all this,ive still space on the second drive,so anymore programmes can be stored there.

Any advice on this sort of thing is appreciated though greatfully, learning is all part of the process :trumpet:
....And on the 8th day God said, "When my children are intelligent, and create the Computer, for my sake may they never screw around with the registry or subscribe to AOL"Posted Image

#4 nosnhoj#3

nosnhoj#3

• Members
  • 245 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2006 - 08:40 AM

Hello,

Yes, it probably would be a good idea to move your collection to your other drive now, rather than wait and fight disk space down the road. I believe you can copy your files by selecting the folder that contains your music files, click Copy to.... from the menu at the left panel. In the Copy to... pop-up box, select the location on your 2nd drive you want the files to go, and click OK.

Then you will want to delete the contents of My Music or whatever folder, keeping the My Music folder intact if that is indeed the folder you use. Just delete the contents inside. Next, point RealPlayer to the new folder you copied your music library to and rebuild realplayers library with it's method. I am not positive, but I think most of your settings should be intact, because the music folder organization will be the same, just the paths will be changing.

It may be wise to make a data DVD backup before moving the files, but it is not required. I am just one of those paranoid backup junkies, but it is much easier to restore a backup then it is to rip every CD back to your PC.

Also, I strongly advise creating a System Restore point, 5 gigs is a big chunk, and it is best to just be cautious.

Hope This Helps,

#5 graveangel

graveangel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 399 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2006 - 09:12 AM

Thanks again nos,

just one other question though, how do i get realplayer to point to my other drives folder where im planning on moving the music to?

#6 nosnhoj#3

nosnhoj#3

• Members
  • 245 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2006 - 05:28 AM

Hello,

I personnally use Real Alternative in addition to Media Player Classic, and havn't used Real Player for a long time, but if I remember correctly, you should just be able to look under File and choose Add Files to My Library. You may look to see if there is some sort of import option, so you can add your old playlists.

A playlist is basically a text file with the file locations of the included songs, so since you have moved the music directory, all the file paths will be wrong. The Real Database should be under this directory or very similar path:

C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Real\RealPlayer\db

Where username is, that is your user account. You may try and open a playlist in Real player and see if you are presented with an option to rebuild the paths.

Let me know if I have given you enough info, it's late and I could be missing something.

Hope this helps,

#7 graveangel

graveangel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 399 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2006 - 10:13 AM

Ok heres an update just for nos and those wondering about doing the same thing as me.

To answer my own quetion,actually nos was practically correct in his second post,so thanks nos :thumbsup: :

I Selected all music files within the music folder and 'cut' them using the right mouse button. Opened up the D:drive and selected a new music folder there and then pasted. All files were transfered and upon opening real player,all files were automatically found by the programme instantly and played.
The only other thing that needs to be done is when copying a cd to the hard-drive,so that it saves to the D:drive instead of the C:drive, you just change the target folder the first time you select to save a disc,it saves the location after that!

Anyway thanks nos for your suggestions,theyre appreciated. Music files were never my forte, they are now though.

Happy browsing :flowers:

Edited by graveangel, 16 June 2006 - 10:19 AM.

#8 Jesse Bassett

Jesse Bassett

• Members
  • 418 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:37 PM

Posted 22 June 2006 - 11:09 AM

I don't know much about RealPlayer, but if you update it, this may fix the problem...
Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 l McAfee Total Protection l Super AntiSpyware Free Edition l AdAware SE Personal l Spyware Blaster l Spyware Guard l Safe Eyes 2007

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users