Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

are manufacturers setting us up? virus related

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 TempleCat

TempleCat

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:53 PM

Posted 01 July 2014 - 10:32 AM

Maybe I'm treading in bad waters, but I do have a question.

I have had three pc's in the last three years. Two laptops and my present desktop, just two months old.

Every time I start getting settled in with my product, I start having weird issues. So I call my manufacturer, in the last two cases, Acer.

I get transferred to (I'm assuming, by the names), India.  Just a guess...

Anyway, they are on the phone with me a long time, take over my computer for a while, and then charge me anywhere from $159. to $500. (I refused the five number), so we settled @ $2- something. And it works, but sometimes more problems follow later.

The point is, I'm getting tired of bending over every time I have an issue.  Does this stuff happen on a regular basis, and is it normal or acceptable!  My hiney is getting sore from all this!!  lol!

This kind of stuff I really making me want to build my own, but how do I know what not to load, to avoid any more of these issues? It's making me agitated to put it very mildly.

Someone please point me in the right direction, one way or the other. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 PM

Posted 01 July 2014 - 10:50 AM

There're a lot of variables here.  For starters you can get some good info about building desktops at tomshardware.com.  As for laptops though almost all the parts are proprietary except for the RAM and hard drives.  Personally I've had PCs since 1989 and never had to deal with these $2xx+ people.  You need to be behind a hardware (router) and software firewall.  I've always just used the Windows firewall for the software one.  Then you need a good antivirus program.  There're dozens of good ones to chose from, I'm currently using the Norton Security Suite because I get it free from Comcast - AVG and Avast are two other good free ones.  Finally you need to get yourself an external hard drive and a good 3rd party backup program. You can set it up to do everything automagically at the time and frequency of your choice. 1 TB external hard drives are about $60 these days and a really good FREE backup program is the Easeus Todo Backup Free.  That can save you a lot of time and frustration the next time something like you've described happens.

Good luck.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#3 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,157 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2014 - 11:31 AM

IMO Issues have little to do with build or manufacturer, most issues are owner caused either by unsafe web practices or fooling around with stuff on their systems that are better left alone. 

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 PM

Posted 01 July 2014 - 11:36 AM

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  When  FileHippo opens, click on Download latest version in the upper right pane.

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

speccy9_zps2d9cdedc.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy7_zpsfa02105f.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

speccy3_zps1791b093.png

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

Please download MiniToolBox, save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:

• List last 10 Event Viewer log
• List Installed Programs
• List Users, Partitions and Memory size.
• List Minidump Files

Click on Go to start the scan.  Once it is finished highlight the text, copy it and paste it in your next post.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,686 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2014 - 11:39 AM

I have friends who have seen the situation you mention; some paid, some didn't

A couple of them asked me about what to do: my comment is, if your computer needs fixing, have it done locally, why pay a stranger over the phone? and then from the local computer repair place, have them show you what you need to do to keep the computer well maintained and secure

I'm proud to say when I was using my XP computer it still ran like new even until it's EOL

I have upgraded 1 XP & 1 Vista to Windows 7 and set up 2 refurbished Windows 7 computers for my friends who wanted my help and each one of them is more than happy; BTW not only do I set them up, I explain to them and others that I help how to keep their computers well maintained & secure; some listen, some won't bother

If you are interested in those ideas please post what's going on now with the computer in question and I'm sure you will receive excellent help

I'd like to say more but we need to know what you are up against which in turn will allow to you to maintain your computer

#6 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,556 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:53 PM

Posted 01 July 2014 - 04:55 PM

are manufacturers setting us up? virus related

No. They only make the hardware, That issue is 50%  Microsoft, They make an unsecure second rate buggy product that they charge heaps of money for.

The other 50 % is the end user who clicks links, and downloads and installs the malware.

#7 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 AM

Posted 02 July 2014 - 12:55 PM

Unfortunately building your own PC won't help if the problems with virus infections you're having are down to unsafe practices.  The operating system is clean when first set up but as soon as you go online you are at risk of infecting the computer.  Following the guidance here is a good start for safe PC use.

The point is, I'm getting tired of bending over every time I have an issue.  Does this stuff happen on a regular basis, and is it normal or acceptable!  My hiney is getting sore from all this!!  lol!

What you've described there doesn't match my own experience.  Despite a few 'near misses' I have not had a virus since about 2002 (when I opened an e-mail attachment from a friend which had the "Klez" virus which was very prevalent back then).  Since then I've learned to be extremely cautious of e-mail attachments even if they appear to come from sources I know.  Even if you do get infected, places like this forum should help you to get it fixed with no charge.  But unless you understand how it happens in the first place, it'll just keep happening over and over again.

7sbvuf-6.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users