Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Samsung SSD performance inconsistencies

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 WhiteZero

WhiteZero

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:33 PM

Posted 01 July 2014 - 09:44 AM

I've been having some issues getting consistent performance out of my Samsung 840 Evo lately. Screenshot

When I first got it back in January (along with the rest of my new rig), I had no problem getting the basemark read/write speeds (540/520 MB/s, 97000/66000 IOPS respectively). But over the last couple months it's been benchmarking more and more often at the levels seen in the screenshot.

I've gone through all of the recommended OS Optimization settings, ran the Samsung Performance Optimization tool, and used the Windows Optimize (SSD version of Defrag) tool. I'm also using the latest Intel Rapid Storage driver provided by my mobo vendor (haven't tried any new versions direct from Intel yet though). But I can no longer get the SSD back up to baseline performance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,049 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 PM

Posted 01 July 2014 - 11:36 AM

I am more than curious about "Windows Optimize (SSD version of Defrag) tool" I have two SSD's both are well over a year old and still blow smoke.  Every last bit of info I have read recommends not defragging, I wonder if you are shooting yourself in the foot!

I just read about Win8 optimization sounds ok will keep an eye on it to see if it works as intended.

Edited by OldPhil, 01 July 2014 - 11:52 AM.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#3 WhiteZero

WhiteZero
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2014 - 12:14 PM

I am more than curious about "Windows Optimize (SSD version of Defrag) tool" I have two SSD's both are well over a year old and still blow smoke.  Every last bit of info I have read recommends not defragging, I wonder if you are shooting yourself in the foot!

I just read about Win8 optimization sounds ok will keep an eye on it to see if it works as intended.

Sorry, I'm not actually "defragging" the SSD. Like you read about W8, you get an "Optimize" option for SSDs rather than Defrag. Optimize basically just runs a TRIM pass.

#4 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,049 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 PM

Posted 01 July 2014 - 02:31 PM

Thanks for the come back, it is interesting and a good part of 8!  I read about some other vendor offers, will be watching for input on ones that will work on other OS's.  After reading several articles it is something I would like in my tool box.

Phil

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#5 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,689 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 AM

Posted 01 July 2014 - 04:41 PM

Isn't trim enabled by default on Windows?

How much free space do you have left? SSD's need to have about 25% free space to work correctly.

#6 WhiteZero

WhiteZero
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2014 - 05:03 PM

Isn't trim enabled by default on Windows?

How much free space do you have left? SSD's need to have about 25% free space to work correctly.

I guess Optimize does some kind of garbage collection or something, not too sure on the specifics.

and I'm only using 67GB on a 250GB drive + 10% of the drive partitioned off for SSD over provisioning.

As an update, I also ran the benchmark in Safe Mode to rule out AV disturbances and whatnot, I got a bit better Read MB/s and Write IOPS, but the Write MB/s especially is still lower than what it should be.

Edited by WhiteZero, 01 July 2014 - 05:04 PM.

#7 1PW

1PW

• Members
  • 316 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 AM

Posted 02 July 2014 - 12:08 AM

Hello WhiteZero:

Do you believe you have the firmware update from December 2013 installed in your Samsung 840 EVO? Plus Magician 4.4?

Somehow, I recently missed the updates for my 840 PRO. Of course neither of the above might not be an improvement. Just sayin...

HTH :)

All viruses are malware but not all malware are viruses and if the malware doesn't self replicate it just isn't a virus.

#8 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:33 AM

Posted 02 July 2014 - 06:04 AM

Hi, have you tried running a different benchmarking tool like ATTO Disk Benchmark?

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#9 WhiteZero

WhiteZero
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2014 - 07:06 AM

Hello WhiteZero:

Do you believe you have the firmware update from December 2013 installed in your Samsung 840 EVO? Plus Magician 4.4?

Somehow, I recently missed the updates for my 840 PRO. Of course neither of the above might not be an improvement. Just sayin...

HTH :)

Yep, double checked my firmware and updated Magician.

Hi, have you tried running a different benchmarking tool like ATTO Disk Benchmark?

I have not, I'll give that a shot today.

#10 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:33 AM

Posted 02 July 2014 - 07:15 AM

This should give a clearer reading to what the speeds are really at but are you experiencing any sort slowness or unresponsiveness from the system?

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#11 WhiteZero

WhiteZero
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2014 - 07:17 AM

This should give a clearer reading to what the speeds are really at but are you experiencing any sort slowness or unresponsiveness from the system?

Nah, system runs fine. I just like to ensure I'm getting every drop of performance out of my parts. I'd also be concerned that lower speeds are indicative of failing hardware, but probably not in this case.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users