Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

C Drive full ???

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 wickerman

wickerman

• Members
  • 167 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:46 AM

Posted 01 July 2014 - 04:38 AM

my c drive is  getting full  dose' that mean i am running out of had drive space or can i transfer some of C Drive on to some where else 

like D Drive.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,236 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 PM

Posted 01 July 2014 - 04:56 AM

Yes, you can transfer all of your downloads and personal files to your D drive (assuming you have a second hard drive), just don't transfer anything under program files, application data or Windows. You can also set your save locations to your d drive to avoid the situation again.

You can also use CCleaner to clean up a big pile of space, just avoid using the registry cleaning function.

#3 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 AM

Posted 01 July 2014 - 06:43 AM

What is D: drive (is it a partition? if so, what is on it now?)?

You can save space on c: by doing the following:

1) Disable system restore. NOTE: All restore points will be immediately deleted, but it will free up a huge chunk of space. You can then start using disc imaging software to start backing up your system on a regular basis.

2) Limit the space allotted to Temporary Internet Files

3) Empty the recycle bin

4) Delete all files in your TEMP folder

You can also add a second hard drive or replace your current drive with a larger one.

Last, you can download and run a program such as treesize (free version) to see where the space is being used (http://www.jam-software.com/treesize_free/)

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,281 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:46 AM

Posted 01 July 2014 - 10:11 AM

Go to Disk Management (Start/Run...type diskmgmt.msc and hit Enter) and take a snapshot (you can use Snipping Tool) so that we can see all partitions/drives..

Use Snipping Tool For Screenshots

Paste the screenshot into your next post.

Louis

#5 wickerman

wickerman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 167 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2014 - 12:47 PM

how do i paste screenshot

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:46 PM

Posted 01 July 2014 - 12:53 PM

A Speccy snapshot will provide the information requested.

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  When  FileHippo opens, click on Download latest version in the upper right pane.

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

speccy9_zps2d9cdedc.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy7_zpsfa02105f.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

speccy3_zps1791b093.png

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 wickerman

wickerman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 167 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2014 - 12:56 AM

downloaded Speccy .http://speccy.piriform.com/results/XncNPL2ULTaX5eMLcO6vFx8   hope this is it.

#8 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,629 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2014 - 07:01 AM

You have a 500Gb HD in your laptop, which is a very small drive by today's standards. Having said that, your d: drive apparently is 335Gb in size and is essentially empty. You can merge c: and d: partitions using a tool such as Easeus Partition Master (http://www.partition-tool.com/), or you can move a good deal of data to your d: drive .

For now, you can start by following the instructions in my post above to reduce usage on c:

You can also set the pagefile to be on d: drive which will save a good deal of space on c: if you choose not to merge. Also make sure that hibernation is disabled.

Edited by Allan, 03 July 2014 - 06:42 AM.

#9 wickerman

wickerman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 167 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2014 - 02:36 AM

Thanks  to both of you ,i will have to read this a few times and then see if i can follow it i will get back to .ASP.

#10 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,180 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2014 - 05:06 PM

If you want to move your personal files etc. to the D: drive it can be done and is quite straightforward.

Say for example you wanted to move your Documents folder to D: then this will do it.

1) Create a new folder on D: which is the same as your Windows user name (assume it's "Dave" for this example).

2) Within the "Dave" folder, create a new folder called "Documents"

3) Navigate to your current Documents folder (which in this case by default will be C:\Users\Dave\Documents and right click the folder and choose Properties.

my_documents.png

4) In the Location tab click the Move... button

5) Browse to D:\Dave\Documents

6) On the next dialog box click Yes to move all the content to your new folder on D:

7) Repeat for any of the other personal folders that have this option that you want to move (Videos, Music, Pictures can all be relocated in this way).

7sbvuf-6.png

#11 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,629 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2014 - 05:21 PM

You do not need to create a folder with your username on the target drive. You just need to right-click and move the My Documents folder to wherever you like. But typically, documents aren't the major consumer of space.

#12 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,180 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2014 - 05:27 PM

It was just in some instructions I used to move folders (including Appdata) onto another drive.  I wasn't sure if it was necessary or not.  In my case, Documents, Video's etc is a major consumer of space (about 600Gb at the moment).

7sbvuf-6.png

#13 wickerman

wickerman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 167 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2014 - 05:15 AM

Good Morning to you both ,i am afraid i am not  getting anywhere at all   Allan. an you gave me four tasks, my answers are 

1i dont' know how to do this'

2i dont' understand.

3not confident enough to do this.

4as above.

also you say set pagefile to be on d/drive i dont' understand that.

make sure Hibernation is disabled again i have never heard of hibernation. so as you can see i am stuck.

Jonuk.  you say create a new folder on D/drive i have been googlig this all morning and i still don' know wow to do it.

thanks for trying to help, but as you can see i am a complete novice so i will have to try some other way to do it.but i realy do thank you for trying.

#14 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,180 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2014 - 06:40 AM

That's OK, everyone has to start somewhere!

To make a folder in drive D: do the following:

1) Left click the yellow folder icon in the bottom left of your Task Bar (just to the right of the "Start Button") to open an Explorer window.  It should look something like this...

windows7explorer.jpg

2) In the left pane of the new Explorer window you have various places on your computer... Favorites, Libraries, Computer etc.  Click on "Computer" and this should open a view on the right hand pane showing all the drives on your PC.  Double click on the drive D icon.

3) It may show some folders already in the right pane of the Window, but if your D: drive is completely empty it'll just show nothing (white space).  Right click into the white space and choose New and then Folder.

4) A new folder should be created, and the name will be called "New Folder" with the text highlighted.  The fact the text is highlighted will allow you to over-type the "New Folder" name and call it something else.  If you were to follow the last post I made, you could call it your name and press Enter.

5) Double click the folder, and then within that folder, create more new folders called "Documents", "Pictures", "Videos", "Music" etc. using exactly the same process of right clicking and choosing New and then Folder.

6) Once done there, go back and click "Computer" on the left pane and double click your C: drive.  Find the "Users" folder and double click on it.  Then find your user name folder and double click on that.  This is where your personal files are stored.

Now follow the process in my last post to move the Documents, Videos, Music and Pictures folders to the new folders you just created on your D: drive.

Edited by jonuk76, 04 July 2014 - 08:21 AM.

7sbvuf-6.png

#15 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,629 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2014 - 07:21 AM

Okay, here you go:

1) Disable system restore. NOTE: All restore points will be immediately deleted, but it will free up a huge chunk of space. You can then start using disc imaging software to start backing up your system on a regular basis.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/turn-system-restore-on-off#1TC=windows-7

2) Limit the space allotted to Temporary Internet Files

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/155353/EN-US

3) Empty the recycle bin

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/permanently-delete-files-recycle-bin#1TC=windows-7

4) Delete all files in your TEMP folder

http://help.ea.com/en/article/clearing-your-temporary-files/

You can also add a second hard drive or replace your current drive with a larger one.

Last, you can download and run a program such as treesize (free version) to see where the space is being used (http://www.jam-software.com/treesize_free/)

And to disable hibernation: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/920730

Edited by Allan, 04 July 2014 - 07:23 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users