Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

JPEG password

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 purpleryder

purpleryder

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 AM

Posted 01 July 2014 - 01:51 AM

Hello there!

Years ago, I had some pictures that I put a password on (JPEG files).  I've since forgotten my password and need to know if there's a way to get around this.  I've tried every password I've ever had in my life and none of them are working.  Is there a way to break the password on these files?  I can't rename the file or anything.  All it lets me do is put in a password for each individual file.  Any help would be appreciated!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 AM

Posted 01 July 2014 - 02:53 AM

How did you add a password? what is the extension now? did you set this whilst on XP?

#3 purpleryder

purpleryder
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2014 - 12:34 PM

Honestly, I don't remember how I added the password?  I did it probably 10 years ago.  The extension still shows it as a .jpg.  I'm pretty sure it was on XP.

Thanks so much for any help!

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2014 - 01:01 PM

I suspect that they added a password to a file or folder to protect it.

Unfortunately I don't think you can remove the password without knowing the original password.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,234 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2014 - 02:16 PM

Assuming you still have an XP machine running you could attempt to recover the password with Cain and Able.

There are plenty of youtube vids on how to use it, and it's free to download.

#6 purpleryder

purpleryder
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2014 - 02:39 PM

Assuming you still have an XP machine running you could attempt to recover the password with Cain and Able.

There are plenty of youtube vids on how to use it, and it's free to download.

Thanks, but I'm running Windows 7 now.  I might be able to use a friends computer who is still running XP to try that.  I appreciate your response!

#7 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,234 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2014 - 02:55 PM

good luck...

#8 srxfanbz

srxfanbz

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:05 PM

Posted 17 April 2017 - 05:06 AM

I have the sample issue with my pics. The only way  left is to brute-force the password. However, this would take days if the password was strong enough.

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2017 - 08:42 AM

I have the sample issue with my pics. The only way  left is to brute-force the password. However, this would take days if the password was strong enough.

I'm going to take a guess that you meant "I have the same issue" rather than "I have the sample issue"?

I would suggest starting your own topic.  The topic that you have posted in is just short of three years old.  One of the problems with an older topic is that other members will look at the number of responses and assume that someone has already addressed their issue.  With a new topic you will get the kind of response you would like to have.

When you start the new topic provide a full description of the problem.  Post it in the Windows forum which corresponds with your version of Windows.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#10 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,048 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 PM

Posted 20 April 2017 - 03:16 PM

In some circumstances when windows protects a file with a password it doesn't encrypt the file, it just controls read and write access to it. This is the only way I could imagine you had password protected a jpeg file, unless you put it into a zip or 7z archive fail. If you password protected the file by the former method then you might be able to boot up the computer under linux rather than windows, with a live USB operating system, and see if you can open the password protected jpeg then. if you can you could copy it to somewhere, or upload it into webmail as an attachment or something. Then shut down linux, boot back into windows and open the copy/download the attachment copy from your webmail. That would probably work because linux will probably be able to ignore the locking of reading or writing privileges which windows has a password for. If however you've actually encrypted, as in put it in an encrypted archive folder (zip/7z/rar...), the jpeg file then you won't be able to get at it this way.

That all said, I would have assumed that the very fact that you copied the file from one computer (your old one with windows xp)to a different machine (with windows 7 on it) would have already removed the password protection on the file. When windows password protects a file copies of the are usually not similarly protected.

Edited by rp88, 20 April 2017 - 03:18 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#11 srxfanbz

srxfanbz

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:05 PM

Posted 26 April 2017 - 01:29 AM

In some circumstances when windows protects a file with a password it doesn't encrypt the file, it just controls read and write access to it. This is the only way I could imagine you had password protected a jpeg file, unless you put it into a zip or 7z archive fail. If you password protected the file by the former method then you might be able to boot up the computer under linux rather than windows, with a live USB operating system, and see if you can open the password protected jpeg then. if you can you could copy it to somewhere, or upload it into webmail as an attachment or something. Then shut down linux, boot back into windows and open the copy/download the attachment copy from your webmail. That would probably work because linux will probably be able to ignore the locking of reading or writing privileges which windows has a password for. If however you've actually encrypted, as in put it in an encrypted archive folder (zip/7z/rar...), the jpeg file then you won't be able to get at it this way.

That all said, I would have assumed that the very fact that you copied the file from one computer (your old one with windows xp)to a different machine (with windows 7 on it) would have already removed the password protection on the file. When windows password protects a file copies of the are usually not similarly protected.

The password still exits even you move it to another computer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users